Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: “New York Reload”

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Lehr View Post
    I was a PPC shooter, beginning in the mid 70's, I missed that part.
    I may have misremembered the competition - I was pretty young then. May have been a Bianchi Cup.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by SJC3081 View Post
    I was a NYPD Police Officer in the 1980’s. I practiced the New York reload. I carried a Model 36 appendix carry
    on my weak side. When I fired my revolver to empty I reholstered my revolver and drew my backup and fired.
    I bet this was faster than reloading out of dump pouches, but I wonder if this would be faster than reloading from speedloaders?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Site Supporter
    I'd like to think I was pretty fast reloading from speedloaders, but I suspect a New York reload would be faster from an AIWB carried behind the reloads. I occasionally practiced reloading from speedloaders in complete darkness, but I couldn't replicate reloading under threat.

NY Reloads are for revolvers and old school single stacks that are hard to reload (think guns with heel mag catches). Even Jerry Miculek can’t reload a revolver faster than he can drop and draw #2 and we know how damn fast he is.

But a semi-auto today? Particularly today’s double-stack guns, that have gigantic, gaping, humongous magazine wells and tapered column magazines that slide in and out slicker than fresh dog shit on a wet lawn, you’ll probably at best break even if you drop it and draw a spare from your belt. From your pocket? Ankle? Crotch? vs. a spare mag from your belt (or even pocket)? Not a chance.

Where the NY Reload still exists today is as described above. You have the pocket gun in your hand. You draw it, empty it, toss it, get the belt gun out.

If you ever “need” to drop a partially loaded gun, because it broke you should try to pitch the thing away from the fight. Not saying that will be possible, but try. I’ve seen enough EVOs to know even if you drop the weapon you can aggressively drive your opponent away from it. I’ve also flubbed a few draws where the best thing to do was toss the damn thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Gun Mutt View Post
    I'm just a low speed/high drag kinda guy with his leg propped up recovering from a knee arthroscopy, but I've this to add to the conversation: I used to train and visit annually with Louie Awerbuck (RIP, you wonderful, brilliant, and yes, kind, curmudgeon) when he'd come to IN and I can still hear his lilting SA accent as he'd say, "My only tactical mandate is this; carry two guns." So for years, I did just that with a G23 & G27 in IWB rigs. Of course, I owned my own business back then and could dress as I chose, so that made it fairly easy to do.

Louie taught that if your primary stopped for any reason during a gunfight, you didn't diagnose it, you pulled it into retention and drew your second pistol and operated in one handed, hence his choice of a chopped G19 for his left hand pistol. He also preached that you shouldn't try to run the secondary pistol two handed as sooner or later, you'd find your primary thumb wrapped over your off hand. He didn't care that you might get your thumb grooved, rather that it could cause a malfunction.
    Louis was one of a kind. I did handgun, carbine, shotgun and subgun at Boone County.
    Shumba

User Tag List