Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Colorado Springs

Congratulations @MistWolf. I’m a little envious. I love Colorado. Colorado Springs seems really nice.
    “If you know the way broadly you will see it in everything." - Miyamoto Musashi

Banned
    I like PPGC.

Colorado Springs is over run with homeless Methheads

If I could I move out East of town

Some of you guys complaining about homeless need to spend a few days on Oahu... I literally moved here on Friday after driving cross country all week. Obviously a very brief time, but so far, we really like it. The housing market is stupid fast, at least in the areas we looked (Fountain, Lorson Ranch, etc) but there were always new houses coming on the market. One thing about the 15 round mag limit - my understanding is that’s only for handguns and I was told (don’t remember where though) that if you owned them prior to moving to CO, then it’s a non-issue. I’m not sure that’s true since I haven’t found anything supporting that, but I do know that the sheriff in my county is one of the 30ish that said they won’t enforce that law. Someone feel free to correct me if I’m wrong,

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Wake27 View Post
    One thing about the 15 round mag limit - my understanding is that’s only for handguns and I was told (don’t remember where though) that if you owned them prior to moving to CO, then it’s a non-issue. I’m not sure that’s true since I haven’t found anything supporting that, but I do know that the sheriff in my county is one of the 30ish that said they won’t enforce that law. Someone feel free to correct me if I’m wrong,
    You're wrong.

The law applies to any magazine. The law does not specifically exempt people who bought the magazines out of state and then moved to Colorado. The law does exempt any magazine purchased prior to July 1st 2013. And I think it was something like 54 Sherriffs and they didn't specifically say they weren't going to enforce the law they said the law was unenforceable.

To my knowledge they've actually charged to people under the law but both of them were prohibited possessor has anyway and the magazine charge was just a Stack-On on charge.

COLORADO REVISED STATUTES

* This document reflects changes current through all laws passed at the
    Second Regular Session of the Sixty-Ninth General Assembly
    of the State of Colorado (2014)
    and changes approved by the electorate at the November 2014 election *

TITLE 18. CRIMINAL CODE
    ARTICLE 12. OFFENSES RELATING TO FIREARMS AND WEAPONS
    PART 3. LARGE-CAPACITY AMMUNITION MAGAZINES

C.R.S. 18-12-302 (2014)

18-12-302. Large-capacity magazines prohibited - penalties - exceptions

(1) (a) Except as otherwise provided in this section, on and after July 1, 2013, a person who sells, transfers, or possesses a large-capacity magazine commits a class 2 misdemeanor.

(b) Any person who violates this subsection (1) after having been convicted of a prior violation of said subsection (1) commits a class 1 misdemeanor.

(c) Any person who violates this subsection (1) commits a class 6 felony if the person possessed a large-capacity magazine during the commission of a felony or any crime of violence, as defined in section 18-1.3-406.

(2) (a) A person may possess a large-capacity magazine if he or she:

(I) Owns the large-capacity magazine on July 1, 2013; and

(II) Maintains continuous possession of the large-capacity magazine.

(b) If a person who is alleged to have violated subsection (1) of this section asserts that he or she is permitted to legally possess a large-capacity magazine pursuant to paragraph (a) of this subsection (2), the prosecution has the burden of proof to refute the assertion.

(3) The offense described in subsection (1) of this section shall not apply to:

(a) An entity, or any employee thereof engaged in his or her employment duties, that manufactures large-capacity magazines within Colorado exclusively for transfer to, or any licensed gun dealer, as defined in section 12-26.1-106 (6), C.R.S., or any employee thereof engaged in his or her official employment duties, that sells large-capacity magazines exclusively to:

(I) A branch of the armed forces of the United States;

(II) A department, agency, or political subdivision of the state of Colorado, or of any other state, or of the United States government;

(III) A firearms retailer for the purpose of firearms sales conducted outside the state;

(IV) A foreign national government that has been approved for such transfers by the United States government; or

(V) An out-of-state transferee who may legally possess a large-capacity magazine;or

(b) An employee of any of the following agencies who bears a firearm in the course of his or her official duties:

(I) A branch of the armed forces of the United States; or

(II) A department, agency, or political subdivision of the state of Colorado, or of any other state, or of the United States government; or

(c) A person who possesses the magazine for the sole purpose of transporting the magazine to an out-of-state entity on behalf of a manufacturer of large-capacity magazines within Colorado.
    Last edited by Cypher; 08-15-2019 at 02:11 AM.

Site Supporter
    FWIW, I bought two 15-round mags for my PX4 specifically for my trip to the Springs. I still use them for the range.

Colorado Springs

Quote Originally Posted by Cypher View Post
    You're wrong.

The law applies to any magazine. The law does not specifically exempt people who bought the magazines out of state and then moved to Colorado. The law does exempt any magazine purchased prior to July 1st 2013. And I think it was something like 54 Sherriffs and they didn't specifically say they weren't going to enforce the law they said the law was unenforceable.

To my knowledge they've actually charged to people under the law but both of them were prohibited possessor has anyway and the magazine charge was just a Stack-On on charge.

COLORADO REVISED STATUTES

* This document reflects changes current through all laws passed at the
    Second Regular Session of the Sixty-Ninth General Assembly
    of the State of Colorado (2014)
    and changes approved by the electorate at the November 2014 election *

TITLE 18. CRIMINAL CODE
    ARTICLE 12. OFFENSES RELATING TO FIREARMS AND WEAPONS
    PART 3. LARGE-CAPACITY AMMUNITION MAGAZINES

C.R.S. 18-12-302 (2014)

18-12-302. Large-capacity magazines prohibited - penalties - exceptions

(1) (a) Except as otherwise provided in this section, on and after July 1, 2013, a person who sells, transfers, or possesses a large-capacity magazine commits a class 2 misdemeanor.

(b) Any person who violates this subsection (1) after having been convicted of a prior violation of said subsection (1) commits a class 1 misdemeanor.

(c) Any person who violates this subsection (1) commits a class 6 felony if the person possessed a large-capacity magazine during the commission of a felony or any crime of violence, as defined in section 18-1.3-406.

(2) (a) A person may possess a large-capacity magazine if he or she:

(I) Owns the large-capacity magazine on July 1, 2013; and

(II) Maintains continuous possession of the large-capacity magazine.

(b) If a person who is alleged to have violated subsection (1) of this section asserts that he or she is permitted to legally possess a large-capacity magazine pursuant to paragraph (a) of this subsection (2), the prosecution has the burden of proof to refute the assertion.

(3) The offense described in subsection (1) of this section shall not apply to:

(a) An entity, or any employee thereof engaged in his or her employment duties, that manufactures large-capacity magazines within Colorado exclusively for transfer to, or any licensed gun dealer, as defined in section 12-26.1-106 (6), C.R.S., or any employee thereof engaged in his or her official employment duties, that sells large-capacity magazines exclusively to:

(I) A branch of the armed forces of the United States;

(II) A department, agency, or political subdivision of the state of Colorado, or of any other state, or of the United States government;

(III) A firearms retailer for the purpose of firearms sales conducted outside the state;

(IV) A foreign national government that has been approved for such transfers by the United States government; or

(V) An out-of-state transferee who may legally possess a large-capacity magazine;or

(b) An employee of any of the following agencies who bears a firearm in the course of his or her official duties:

(I) A branch of the armed forces of the United States; or

(II) A department, agency, or political subdivision of the state of Colorado, or of any other state, or of the United States government; or

(c) A person who possesses the magazine for the sole purpose of transporting the magazine to an out-of-state entity on behalf of a manufacturer of large-capacity magazines within Colorado.
    Yeah so that’s what I thought initially and when I briefly looked back at this I didn’t see anything to support the claim about moving here. I was hopeful the guy was right, but really wasn’t expecting it.

As for the sheriffs, I thought the number was higher as well, but I think it’s two different things. 30ish of them actually signed something stating that they were opposing it, according to an article I read from June. I’m not relying on that either, at least not until I can read the signed document itself instead of an article, but that was what I got from it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Wake27; 08-15-2019 at 09:23 AM.

Site Supporter
    How do you prove (beyond reasonable doubt) that my >15 round magazine was purchased after the cutoff date?

Me: I bought that from a guy at a gun show, in Texas, in 2012, paid cash.
    DA: Ummmm.....

Unenforceable, indeed.
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

Quote Originally Posted by RoyGBiv View Post
    How do you prove (beyond reasonable doubt) that my >15 round magazine was purchased after the cutoff date?

Unenforceable, indeed.
    As long as it’s not a new mag, like any of the PMAGs

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Cypher View Post

Colorado Springs is over run with homeless Methheads
    My kids call them "Walkers" because it looks like a scene from "The Walking Dead".

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by RoyGBiv View Post

Unenforceable, indeed.
    I had this discussion was some idiot who was walking around with the Glock 19 X (or whatever they called that babyshit brown Glock that had the Glock 17 grip and tbe Glock 19 slide). He told me that the best thing about this handgun was that the only magazines even made for it were 17 round.

I told him that I had no objection but that by walking around with that weapon openly displayed he was putting his future in the hands of whatever cop he ran into next.

He started to get huffy with me and tell me about how they couldn't prove when he acquired the magazines and I reminded him that they didn't make those magazines prior to 2013.

He got all bug-eyed over that
    Last edited by Cypher; 08-15-2019 at 02:32 PM.

User Tag List