Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Colorado Springs

Quote Originally Posted by Cypher View Post
    I looked up there yesterday and there's snow now....
    In my experience -- which was 20+ years ago -- that means that it's melted by now.

Coming from Western Washington, where Mt. Rainier has a year-round snow cap, it was weird seeing Pikes Peak, which is (IIRC) about 200 feet shorter, having a year round mud cap, unless it was actually snowing.

Oxygen might be a good idea. One day while I was there one of the cowboys flying AH64s decided to go check Pikes Peak out.

Air was too thin for him to take off, they had to send a Chinook to come get him.
    Recovering Gun Store Commando. My Blog: The Clue Meter
    “It doesn’t matter what the problem is, the solution is always for us to give the government more money and power, while we eat less meat.”
    Glenn Reynolds

I forgot about the altitude. Yeah, don't go to Pike's Peak on your first day. Hang out in the Springs for a bit. I took my mom up there and she lives under 1,000' and she was fine but we didn't spend much time there. I've seen these small cans of oxygen for sale at Walmart (barf) for hiking at altitude so maybe that would be a good idea.
    Quote Originally Posted by MattyD380 View Post
    Because buying cool, interesting guns I don't need isn't a decision... it's a lifestyle...

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Drang View Post
    In my experience -- which was 20+ years ago -- that means that it's melted by now.

Coming from Western Washington, where Mt. Rainier has a year-round snow cap, it was weird seeing Pikes Peak, which is (IIRC) about 200 feet shorter, having a year round mud cap, unless it was actually snowing.

Oxygen might be a good idea. One day while I was there one of the cowboys flying AH64s decided to go check Pikes Peak out.

Air was too thin for him to take off, they had to send a Chinook to come get him.
    Pikes Peak and Mount Rainier are 4ft difference.. I can never remember which is which but one is 14410 and the other one is 14414.

I don't go up there all that often but the snow almost never melts on Pikes Peak there is always some up there even if it's not covered. There was a dusting this morning

Site Supporter
    Pikes Peak and Mount Rainier are 4ft difference.. I can never remember which is which but one is 14410 and the other one is 14414.

I don't go up there all that often but the snow almost never melts on Pikes Peak there is always some up there even if it's not covered. There was a dusting this morning
    Name:  IMG_0120.jpg
Views: 118
Size:  89.5 KB

It was 14115 when I was there last year.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by revchuck38 View Post
    Name:  IMG_0120.jpg
Views: 118
Size:  89.5 KB

It was 14115 when I was there last year.
    That's weird. I remember the local news making a big deal out of the fact that there was only 4 ft difference between Rainier and Pikes Peak but according to Wikipedia Rainier is 14, 411 which is a 4 HUNDRED foot difference. Maybe I misheard.

I know that Rainer looks a hell of a lot bigger than Pikes Peak because it's rising out of a coastal plain. When I was stationed at Fort Lewis you can see Rainier from everywhere on post
    Last edited by Cypher; 09-19-2019 at 08:11 PM.

That's weird. I remember the local news making a big deal out of the fact that there was only 4 ft difference between Rainier and Pikes Peak but according to Wikipedia Rainier is 14, 411 which is a 4 HUNDRED foot difference. Maybe I misheard.

I know that Rainer looks a hell of a lot bigger than Pikes Peak because it's rising out of a coastal plain. When I was stationed at Fort Lewis you can see Rainier from almost everywhere on post in the state of Washington.
    FIFY.
    “It doesn’t matter what the problem is, the solution is always for us to give the government more money and power, while we eat less meat.”
    Glenn Reynolds

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Drang View Post
    FIFY.
    I didn't see as much of Western Washington as I could have when I was stationed at Fort Lewis I went to Mount Saint Helens because I had an aunt and uncle that lived in Castle Rock but that was about it. I regret that now.

When you're coming West on Highway 24 you start to see Pikes Peak from about Limon
    Last edited by Cypher; 09-19-2019 at 08:19 PM.

Global warming: Is there nothing it can't do?
    Glenn Reynolds

Site Supporter
    Another possibility is heading over to Durango to do the train thing. I did it almost 25 years ago as a kid and really enjoyed it. Think my wife would love it.

How is the drive to Durango? Do you go through a lot of high mountain passes?

Quote Originally Posted by TheNewbie View Post
    Another possibility is heading over to Durango to do the train thing. I did it almost 25 years ago as a kid and really enjoyed it. Think my wife would love it.

How is the drive to Durango? Do you go through a lot of high mountain passes?
    Man, I grew up in Durango. That D&SNGR is the shit. But you better ride it quick before all the liberals shut it down. There’s a big lawsuit towards it from that big fire they had last year that they said was started from it. I hope they don’t run it outta town. That’s a big tourist attraction and a big money-maker for that little town.

But yeah, it’s a beautiful ride either way ya go whether it’s cuttin’ down through Salida or going all the down to Walsenburg and taking 160 all the way across. You’ll go over Cumbres-La Manga Pass but Wolf Creek pass over on the other end by Pagosa Springs is a trip.

I sure miss that place but after keeping up with friends on Facebook and still live there, they say that poor town’s get bad and to liberalized.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

User Tag List