Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Reverse-enabling thread

Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie B View Post
    This one fits #4:

Attachment 41355

It was shipped around the time that my mother was born and, according to the guy who sold it (to the LGS, he was in the store when I bought it), a Jacksonville cop used it to shoot an armed robber. The sights suck and it's not a gun I'd carry. But I smile every time I shoot it.
    Did the armed robber live?

If not, I say you name it "Ol' Sparky Jr."
    REPETITION CREATES BELIEF
    REPETITION BUILDS THE SEPARATE WORLDS WE LIVE AND DIE IN
    NO EXCEPTIONS

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Baldanders View Post
    Did the armed robber live?

If not, I say you name it "Ol' Sparky Jr."
    Yes.

The officer's obit.
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

38 spl revolvers have a certain utility value a bit like an old pickup. You may not use it much but when you need to haul or tow something they can be very useful. I always look at how much it costs to keep the item around and do I have room for it. If I think I might have a use for it (or maybe someone else) in the future I'll try to keep it. I had an old tractor for a long time that I never used. My neighbor borrowed it to move his boats and I didn't see it for years. Somebody had a use for it so I was good with that. Shortly before he died I finally sold it. We traded labor and tools for over 20 years.

I have a slug of S&W revolvers and see no reason to ever sell any of them. Pistols, rifles, shotguns all come and go but the revolvers stick around. I think I only sold one revolver in my lifetime when I was in my 20's and that's the only firearm I wish I had kept. Probably sold a dozen firearms over the years.

In 5 years you'll wonder why you sold those.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

I can't in good conscious tell anyone to sell revolvers. At least not until I have spare cash to buy them.

If you do decide to split, I'd say toss them up here on PF. Someone around here needs a good K-Frame or three and at least you'll know they went to good homes.

In the scheme of things, I don't think I really regret ever selling any of the guns I've sold. Mostly, because I can't remember which ones I've sold over the years.

I agree with Stephanie about keeping the 3" M65. I have one I bought cheap years ago. It's appreciated 300% in the six or seven years I've owned it. I would sell it, if someone offered me the right amount of cash salad for it, because I rarely shoot/carry it. But I'm hanging on, because no-lock Smiths continue to rise in value and offer a good place to gain some value. If I ever decide I want to split with the gun, it'll be easy to move.

Also, don't forget that no-lock K-Frames in any kind of shootable condition can be turned into good trade fodder. For instance, to me a M64 4" is a ~$350-450 gun. Giving you 7-900 in trade value. I'd probably trade you straight across a single $1000 gun for both revolvers, depending on the gun. I'd do so, because two functionally identical guns for training and carry purposes trumps one gun I have sitting in the safe. I bet you could parlay two M64s into a Beretta 1301 Tactical without issue.
    Last edited by RevolverRob; 08-16-2019 at 10:09 AM.

I’ve swapped bought & sold lots of guns over the years.

Nothing wrong with unloading stuff you may not be interested any longer.

I’d probably get rid of some stuff in my safe, except finding an FFL to ship is such a PITA.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    Yeah, I've managed to turn several guns around in the past year that ended up not working for me. I've only lost a significant amount of money on one - the Glock. Some, I even made a couple bucks on, and the others were all close enough that I can deal with paying that for what I learned about them. Learning/cost worked out a lot better than renting, it turned out, and I was happier to have the money than the gun in every case.

If I sell these Ks, I probably won't ever try to replace them. Or if I do, it will probably be with nicer ones. Hence the double-check with the hive mind before acting.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie B View Post
    I’d hang onto the 3” 65, if I were you. The prices are going into nutso range.

(Hell, I’d hang onto them all.)
    Quote Originally Posted by camsdaddy View Post
    I have a 3" 65 that I rarely shoot. I find I shoot my 60 and 642 more as I carry them more. I hold on to my 65 because it is a cool gun, its worth what I paid, I doubt I would pay the price they will bring down the road if I chose to replace it.
    Quote Originally Posted by JonInWA View Post
    I totally agree with selling. The ones you're considering cutting from the herd 1) Aren't particularly striking a chord/fulfilling your needs; 2) Would require additional resources to make them into acceptable condition/performance parameters for you (and even then you wouldn't have a resonating need for them that isn't adequately fulfilled by what you already have).

The more experienced and older I get, I realize that I have finite amounts of time to devote to my shooting, and it makes sense to more specifically concentrate on fewer guns and platforms, to consolidate and more effectively focus. It's a more effective use of my training tie and resources, and creates a synergy between the platforms and guns that I concentrate on. It also can minimize and consolidate the amounts of support kit (holsters, pouches, speedloaders, et al) needed.

Best, Jon
    Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    If you do decide to split, I'd say toss them up here on PF. Someone around here needs a good K-Frame or three and at least you'll know they went to good homes.

I agree with Stephanie about keeping the 3" M65. I have one I bought cheap years ago. It's appreciated 300% in the six or seven years I've owned it.
    The selloff has continued. I knew I would be happy, but wasn't quite expecting the feeling of relief/exhilaration to see some of the less useful ones go. Knowing that the project I had envisioned to turn them into something I really wanted is off my to-do list, and that there is money going back into the bank account, is a heck of a tasty-carrot/stick-avoided motivator. And it turns out I knew what I was doing when I bought at least some of them. Told myself I was looking at a "can't lose" price, and that turned out to be true in a couple cases.

This post was actually pivotal. I printed it out and hung it on the wall over my workbench:

I don't yet have an answer to this thread.

My P226 with Hogue G10 checkered stocks always feels like my hiking boots the first time I pulled them on in the store, and every time since. "Ahhh... that's the shape of me!" But the trigger isn't as sweet as the M11-A1 that won't extract Winchester cases and it seems to be getting silver on the underside of the frame rails too much, too soon, in spite of generous lubrication and a cleaning schedule to remove abrasive powder remains that all the reading you'd do on this site says is utterly unnecessary. So I have trouble feeling as good about it as I'd like to.

The GP MC is getting close. The trigger is excellent, and I'm pretty happy with it mechanically at this point. I don't shoot it quite as well as the Sig. I've been playing with the grip some more and last night during dry fire practice, got it to the point where I went, "Ahhhh..." Never would have guessed that peeling off two little pieces of gaffer tape smaller than postage stamps would make the difference they did. Will be shooting it live a bunch in the next few months; the plan when awesomeness is confirmed is to ship the whole mess up to Herrett's and tell them, "Nice walnut, shaped like this." It's close enough I have two more GPs and expect them both to be part of my estate when the time comes.

Psychologically, the USP full size actually comes closest, just because of the legendary reliability and durability associated with it, combined with the utility of being a standard-cap semi. In a Toyota HiLux kinda way, that matters to me. And it does work well ergonomically for me; big, northern Europeans making equipment for big, northern Europeans. But it doesn't have the beauty, doesn't feel quite as molded to me, and the trigger isn't nearly as good as the Sigs and GP. I believe the trigger itself has flex that contributes to a mushy feeling, and suspect the trigger bar may be part of it, though I haven't really had one apart. Also, the shape of the trigger has a lot more curve forward toward the bottom; I just really prefer the shape and solid-steel stiffness of the original-design, non-ribbed classic Sig TRIGGER-6. I like the classic Sig decocker a lot. However, I like the forward, 1911-style position of the slide catch lever on the USP better than the behind-the-decocker Sig catch. The two positions really aren't compatible.

If the P226 had a trigger as good as I know Sig triggers can be, and I could expect "forever" trustworthiness out of it the way I do a USP, I think that would be the one. Or a USP with a more Sig-like trigger; I have a bunch of USP trigger parts and need to dive down that rabbit hole.
    I decided to focus on these three platforms and get my ecosystems up and running on each, do a bunch of work with them, and decide what to move forward with. I've finally gotten into doing the work on USPs; some may have noticed my scattered inputs based on that experience lately. Turns out to be very satisfying, and I feel like I'm doing what I needed to be doing for a long time. Interestingly, I've been surprised at the number of little details that I find can be improved once you actually open them up and start looking around. It seems to me that what sets them apart is they function and don't break; it's not that there isn't low-hanging fruit to clean them up and make them a bit nicer. (And I'm not trying to re-engineer anything, just get them to the level of their designed-in potential.)

I've decided to sell the 4-inch M64s. Will probably put them on consignment at the LGS - that's a strategy that's been working. Shipping out of state is too expensive, since I'm not an FFL and the FFL I work with only uses UPS. If anyone in the Houston area wants to check them out for a FTF deal, PM me.

If I want a .38 SPL K frame, it's probably going to be an M67 anyway, but I don't see that happening any time in the next few years. I'd certainly want to pick out one that was in better cosmetic condition (and would cost more) than these police trades. For now, I'll keep the M65, because it's pretty iconic; the quintessential carry revolver....even though I think a 3953 is probably a better carry option.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Well, to update...

I needed a fresh can of Hornady One Shot to keep my stuff from rusting, so I pulled on the N95 and dropped by the LGS. The last of my K frames has sold, without me having to spend time meeting with any filthy Cletuses or losing any money even after the shop's commission cut, thanks to the great gun buying dempanic of 2020.

As I got into the GP100 more and realized how much time and money it has taken to get it all dialed in and squared away, the Ks seemed less and less fun and interesting. In particular, I couldn't think of a situation in which I would pick even the M65 over the GPMC, where I wouldn't also pick something else before the K.

Happy with the decision so far. Will be posting some K frame gear in the near future.
    Not another dime.

If I want a .38 SPL K frame, it's probably going to be an M67 anyway, but I don't see that happening any time in the next few years. I'd certainly want to pick out one that was in better cosmetic condition (and would cost more) than these police trades. For now, I'll keep the M65, because it's pretty iconic; the quintessential carry revolver....even though I think a 3953 is probably a better carry option.
    I'm glad I posted this thread. It's good for me to come back and reread it from time to time.

Other P-F members have bought my K frame gear, and I have a 3953 on consignment at the LGS now.

It's good to get to know yourself. Even if it takes time.

Not another dime.

User Tag List