Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Reverse-enabling thread

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"

Reverse-enabling thread

I'm thinking about getting rid of my K frames. Two 4-inch 64s and a 3-inch 65. All police trades. Serviceable, but will still suck up some time, money or both before I'm happy with appearance, finish, etc. Even just limiting it to doing gun stuff, there are other things I'd rather do with said time and money.

I bought a JMCK AIWB in anticipation of the Revolver Roundup. When it arrived, I tried carrying the Ks around the house. Current grips are a little printy, which is fixable, but the main thing was how big and especially heavy they are for something that holds just six rounds and is slower to reload.

There really isn't a scandium solution, either. The 315 Night Guard was made in a single production run in 2008, only 576 units according to the numbers I've found. None since, and S&W doesn't seem likely to make more. The ones you see for sale are either too used to roll the dice on an online sale, or too expensive to be shooters (which they are in any case, due to built-in soul leaks), or both. Even @Dagga Boy hasn't solved that problem, and he's indicated that he'd like to. So it's essentially not viable.

If I'm going to carry a revolver OWB at 3:00 (in appropriate time/place/manner), it might as well be a GP100. Which I also have, and it doesn't need any more time and money to achieve satisfactory condition.

So I'm kind of thinking that the revolvers that make sense for me are J frames and GP100s.

Someone talk me out of this before I start taking pictures and posting on GB.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    So I'm kind of thinking that the revolvers that make sense for me are J frames...
    I won't try to talk you out of it because I just sold my very nice 686+ a week or two back since, (nice as it was), it wasn't getting any real carry time despite the very nice holsters I had for it.

J frames and semi-autos for the win. (At least for carry and practical purposes. I don't collect firearms.)

Don't second guess yourself.
    Last edited by blues; 08-14-2019 at 11:33 AM.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Read: Harrison Bergeron

Site Supporter
    It doesn’t have to make sense. If you like shooting them and don’t need the money keep them. I wish I had kept every gun I traded off. Even the bad ones to remind me to make better decisions but I understand what you are saying. Sell three k frames you don’t carry to get three 642s? Or two 642s with crimson trace boot grips, or a 340 with D&L sights ? or a 340 and a 43c trainer? IDK. I call dibs on the model 65.

Guess I'm sort of in the opposite boat as right now I'm getting back into revolvers. If I hadn't sold them off in the first place I would have saved myself a lot of money not having to re-buy stuff. I vote just stick them in the safe unless you need to sell to finance something else. In that case I might be interested in the 3 inch 65.
    Last edited by vaglocker; 08-14-2019 at 12:14 PM.

I regret every gun I ever sold. Even the bad ones. K-Frames are only going to go up in price.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    I won't try to talk you out of it because I just sold my very nice 686+ a week or two back since, (nice as it was), it wasn't getting any real carry time despite the very nice holsters I had for it.

J frames and semi-autos for the win. (At least for carry and practical purposes. I don't collect firearms.)

Don't second guess yourself.

blues, first a caution as I'm gonna do what I seem to do too often here: drift the thread. Thanks to you (and a couple links you attached), I've found FFL's where I can buy a 642/no-lock/stainless for $311 or an M&P 340/no-lock_for $659. Also, some time ago, DB proclaimed the M&P 340 was THE j frame. I have fired each gun and feel the M&P 340 with the great front sight and smoother action, even the color - is the ONE for me. I realize the issues with the 642 can be " fixed " for less than the $348 difference, but the reality is I'm only doing this once - don't wanna buy something I might regret later. An opinion, if you please?
    Last edited by 11B10; 08-14-2019 at 12:23 PM.

I guess I’m an oddball because I only regret one gun that’s passed through my hands. I’m totally fine with every other gun I’ve sold or traded. If you don’t see yourself getting some enjoyment from these guns, go ahead and sell them.
    My posts only represent my personal opinion and do not necessarily reflect the opinions or official policies of any employer, past or present. Obvious spelling errors are likely the result of an iPhone keyboard.

Quote Originally Posted by 11B10 View Post
    blues, first a caution as I'm gonna do what I seem to do too often here: drift the thread. Thanks to you (and a couple links you attached), I've found FFL's where I can buy a 642/no-lock/stainless for $311 or an M&P 340/no-lock_for $659. I have fired each gun and feel the M&P 340 with the great front sight and smoother action, even the color - is the ONE for me. I realize the issues with the 642 can be " fixed " for less than the $348 difference, but the reality is I'm only doing this once - don't wanna buy something I might regret later. An opinion, if you please?
    Thanks, my friend, for the kind words but it's nothing everyone else doesn't do here daily.

I haven't fired an M&P 340 and only own a 642-1. But I have a strong hankering to try / buy one. (I've been fighting it, however.)

My J frame experience is limited to my old Model 36 which I (regretfully, in hindsight), traded off twenty some odd years ago...and the 642.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Read: Harrison Bergeron

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    Thanks, my friend, for the kind words but it's nothing everyone else doesn't do here daily.

I haven't fired an M&P 340 and only own a 642-1. But I have a strong hankering to try / buy one. (I've been fighting it, however.)

My J frame experience is limited to my old Model 36 which I (regretfully, in hindsight), traded off twenty some odd years ago...and the 642.
    I

If you haven't fired the 340, approach with caution cause they are really sweet! Also, you would know this, but I either...didn't hear or more accurately, chose not to listen. Resist the urge to "try a couple .357's." Everything I heard about that experience here is true. Did I listen? Repeat after me: "Hi, my name is Don, and I'm a knucklehead." If it wasn't for that higher price, I'd already own one.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Quote Originally Posted by DanM View Post
    I guess I’m an oddball because I only regret one gun that’s passed through my hands. I’m totally fine with every other gun I’ve sold or traded. If you don’t see yourself getting some enjoyment from these guns, go ahead and sell them.
    Yeah, I've managed to turn several guns around in the past year that ended up not working for me. I've only lost a significant amount of money on one - the Glock. Some, I even made a couple bucks on, and the others were all close enough that I can deal with paying that for what I learned about them. Learning/cost worked out a lot better than renting, it turned out, and I was happier to have the money than the gun in every case.

If I sell these Ks, I probably won't ever try to replace them. Or if I do, it will probably be with nicer ones. Hence the double-check with the hive mind before acting.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

User Tag List