Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: PF's Hollywood "reboot"/remake thread

Quote Originally Posted by Casual Friday View Post
    Yeah I can't compete with that, my wife thinks I'm a weirdo for owning it on VHS, DVD, Blu-ray, and Amazon. Now I can show her this guy and his 170 episode podcast. Starting next work I'm gonna listen to it while I'm working.
    I've listened to a bunch, but it is hard to recommend (unless you are really OCD about Heat). I've skipped around to listen to some of his guests (which include Michael Mann in the final episode) though. Some interesting insights, but the format is unavoidably repetitive. I'm somewhere in the 40s right now.

Some things I've learned:

The upcoming Heat novel by Reed Farrel Coleman will actually be part prequel and part sequel to the film
    Eady's house is actually now Bosch's house (in the Amazon TV series Bosch)
    Ted Levine, who plays Bosko (a Detective on Hanna's squad), also played Buffalo Bill in The Silence of the Lambs (no secret, I just never made the connection)
    Last edited by JSGlock34; 08-15-2019 at 09:15 PM.
    "When the phone rang, Parker was in the garage, killing a man."

Quote Originally Posted by JSGlock34 View Post
    I've listened to a bunch, but it is hard to recommend (unless you are really OCD about Heat). I've skipped around to listen to some of his guests (which include Michael Mann in the final episode) though. Some interesting insights, but the format is unavoidably repetitive. I'm somewhere in the 40s right now.

Some things I've learned:

The upcoming Heat novel by Reed Farrel Coleman will actually be part prequel and part sequel to the film
    Eady's house is actually now Bosch's house (in the Amazon TV series Bosch)
    Ted Levine, who plays Bosko (a Detective on Hanna's squad), also played Buffalo Bill in The Silence of the Lambs (no secret, I just never made the connection)
    I'll probably just let it play through and zone out the boring and repetitive parts. I'm mostly interested in the little tidbits of info that I might not know, like Eady's house being the Bosch house. I like both and am surprised I didn't pick up on it.

I knew about the upcoming novel, and I'm hoping they don't screw it up, there's a lot of places they can go with it if they do it right.

Quote Originally Posted by Sidheshooter View Post
    Do you even "spiderman," bro?

"Pan’s Labyrinth" is a variation of "the elfin knight," an old ballad that was the forerunner of songs like "Scarborough Fair" (Carthy or Simon/Garfunkle) and which was itself a variation of the folktale category ‘clever girl,’ as cataloged in the Aarne-Thompson-Uther index as type 875–a stand-alone motive found in folkloric traditions throughout the Indo-European languages. There really isn’t much new under the sun.

Too academic?
    I don’t know, it was too fucking boring to read.
    Ignore Alien Orders

Quote Originally Posted by archangel View Post
    Case in point - The 50 Highest grossing films ever:

Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides - Sequel, amusement park ride
    Tim Powers' Copyright Lawyer would like a word with you.
    Recovering Gun Store Commando. My Blog: The Clue Meter
    “It doesn’t matter what the problem is, the solution is always for us to give the government more money and power, while we eat less meat.”
    Glenn Reynolds

All I got is a sequel to "Ferris Bueller’s Day Off," where he’s the POTUS, Mia Sara's character (Sloane) is the first lady and Cameron is the VP. They’re tying to ditch the Secret Service so Ferris and Sloane can have just one date night all by themselves. Hilarity and international drama ensues. I’m tellin’ ya, this one will be big for the Holiday season.

So, did Cameron move to another state, or Ferris?
    (Candidates for POTUS and VEEP cannot be residents of the same state. I forget which election that was an issue in. Ford v. Carter, maybe?)
    Recovering Gun Store Commando. My Blog: The Clue Meter
    “It doesn’t matter what the problem is, the solution is always for us to give the government more money and power, while we eat less meat.”
    Glenn Reynolds

Quote Originally Posted by Drang View Post
    (Candidates for POTUS and VEEP cannot be residents of the same state. I forget which election that was an issue in. Ford v. Carter, maybe?)
    Learning has occurred, thanks.

They probably each just bought a house somewhere outside of IL, Clinton-style.
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

Quote Originally Posted by Casual Friday View Post
    I'll probably just let it play through and zone out the boring and repetitive parts. I'm mostly interested in the little tidbits of info that I might not know, like Eady's house being the Bosch house. I like both and am surprised I didn't pick up on it.

I knew about the upcoming novel, and I'm hoping they don't screw it up, there's a lot of places they can go with it if they do it right.
    So I just hit the episode where they talk about the shootout at the drive-in, and a discussion about the depiction of gun violence in film ensued. The host really does not know anything about firearms (every time he calls the Benelli wielded by Tom Sizemore a 'double-barreled' shotgun I cringe) though even he can recognize that the actors are demonstrating tactical proficiency.

Most of his guests are film critics - I'd love to explain to the host why Heat and other Michael Mann films are held in such high regard by this community.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Drang View Post
    If this page is correct they can be, but it could cause them problems in a close race.

http://www.history.com/.amp/news/can...the-same-state

Learning has occurred, thanks.

They probably each just bought a house somewhere outside of IL, Clinton-style.
    I was today years old when I found out about that too.

Quote Originally Posted by JSGlock34 View Post
    So I just hit the episode where they talk about the shootout at the drive-in, and a discussion about the depiction of gun violence in film ensued. The host really does not know anything about firearms (every time he calls the Benelli wielded by Tom Sizemore a 'double-barreled' shotgun I cringe) though even he can recognize that the actors are demonstrating tactical proficiency.

Most of his guests are film critics - I'd love to explain to the host why Heat and other Michael Mann films are held in such high regard by this community.
    Yeah I'm not very far into the episodes yet but I can tell guns aren't his thing.

While Heat is clearly a remake of LA Takedown, there's a whole lot of Thief in there. Not enough to consider Heat a remake of Thief, but certainly a great deal of shared DNA. This thread and the One Heat Minute podcast motivated me to pull Thief out of the library and give it a rewatch. A few things I picked up...

The opening diamond heist in Thief is very reminiscent of the aborted Precious Metals Depository heist in Heat. Frank and Neal's crews have the same respective roles (lookout, alarms, drilling).

Chris (Val Kilmer) and Barry (James Belushi) are the same guy. They are the right hand men to Neal and Frank respectively, have the same preferences in cars (both drive Corvettes) and firearms (both take the overwatch position with the same rifle - a Heckler and Koch 91). I can't believe these are coincidences.

When Frank discovers his house and car are bugged, his wife asks what does it mean. The first thing he says? "Heat."

In both Heat and Thief, both crews "dump" police surveillance before the main heist by putting the transponders on a bus (to San Clemente and Des Moines respectively).

Both feature a long dialogue about life in prison, penologists, and dreams in a diner.

Both Frank and Neal walk out on their love interest before the final confrontation.

Both Frank and Neal kill the man who double crossed them with a Mozambique (practically a Mann signature - features prominently in Collateral). The same guy must have taught them both how to press-check too...

User Tag List