Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: PF's Hollywood "reboot"/remake thread

I am a science fictioneer and deplore the movies based on comic strips, games, and toys. Stuff arising out of industry screenwriters is no better.
    There was an Honor Harrington project that never amounted to anything. They would probably have screwed it up, made Nimitz cute or something.
    WWKKD? But who are you going to get to play The Most Competent Entity in the Galaxy?
    Code Name: JET STREAM

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    I'll go first.

"The Hustle" a remake of "Dirty Rotten Scoundrels".

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Hustle_(film)
    That's a remake of a remake!

Sorceror remake of The Wages of Fear
    Talented Mister Ripley remake of Purple Noon
    Suspira has been remade among many other Horror films

“Beau Geste” 1926
    “Beau Geste” 1939
    “Beau Geste” 1966
    “The Last Remake Of Beau Geste” 1977
    “Beau Geste” 1982 (I guess they lied in ‘77)

We need a Beau Geste for the 21st century.

Quote Originally Posted by JSGlock34 View Post
    Heat is a remake of LA Takedown.

“Den Of Thieves” is a remake of “Heat”.

Quote Originally Posted by jtcarm View Post
    “Den Of Thieves” is a remake of “Heat”.
    More like a homage than a remake. Supposedly there is a sequel in the works. I'll pass.
    "When the phone rang, Parker was in the garage, killing a man."

Site Supporter
    We touched a little on this in The Films of Michael Mann thread...Mann has been willing to return to prior projects a few times in his career. There is a lot of Thief in Heat as well...you can really see how Heat was built on the foundation of his earlier works (but most directly on LA Takedown). You also saw Mann return for the reboot of Miami Vice in 2006 (which I think has held up better than most gave it credit for when it was initially released).

Robbery Homicide Division was unfortunately cancelled before it found an audience; interestingly it starred Tom Sizemore, who was played one of the members of the bank robbery crew in Heat, as the lead detective. Really too bad - it had style.
    In Thief, Mann had the real life cops, like Dennis Farina playing crooks and the crooks brought in as technical advisers playing the cops. It worked well.

Site Supporter
    The Departed is a remake of a 2002 Hong Kong movie called Internal Affairs

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Infernal_Affairs

Chan Wing-yan, a police officer, goes undercover into a triad; only his direct superior, Superintendent Wong, is aware of his mission and true identity. Around the same time, Lau Kin-ming, a triad member, infiltrates the Hong Kong Police Force on the orders of a powerful gang boss, Hon Sam. Each mole has been planted by the rival organisation to gain an advantage over the other side. Over the course of ten years, Chan experiences great stress from his undercover work while Lau quickly rises through the ranks in the police department.

Using Morse code, Chan is able to relay data back to the police. However, Lau alerts Hon, giving him enough time to order his minions to dispose of the evidence. After the incident, both Wong and Hon are tasked with finding the moles in their respective organization.

Wong intends to pull Chan out of undercover work for fear of his safety. However, Wong is caught by Hon's men and is killed when he is thrown off the building, having refused to reveal Chan despite a beating from the gangsters.

Through this incident, Lau retrieves Wong's cell phone and contacts Chan; both of them agree to foil a drug deal by Hon. The plan succeeds and many of Hon's men are arrested, while Lau betrays Hon and murders him. Everything seems to have returned to normal. However, back at police headquarters, Chan discovers that Lau was the mole and leaves immediately.

Chan and Lau meet on the same rooftop where Wong was killed earlier. Chan disarms Lau and holds a pistol to his head as a rebuke to Lau's plea for forgiveness and request to remain a cop. Inspector B arrives on the scene shortly and orders Chan to release Lau. Chan holds Lau as a hostage at gunpoint and backs into the lift, but upon moving his head from behind Chan is suddenly shot in the head by B, who then reveals to Lau that he is also a mole planted by Hon. As they take the lift down to the lobby, Lau kills B out of his desire to eradicate traces of his past, become a "good guy" cop, and end the mole hunt. Stepping out of the lift, Lau shows his identity card to the police to identify himself as one of them.

Months after Chan's death, his psychiatrist Lee discovers records revealing Chan's true identity as an undercover police officer; B becomes a scapegoat for Lau as the real mole in the police force and the case is closed. Lau salutes Chan at his funeral. A flashback reaffirms the point at which Lau wished he had taken a different route in life.
    Last edited by HCM; 08-25-2019 at 12:38 AM.

Site Supporter
    Red Dragon is a remake of Manhunter.
    Fun fact -Mann like to use the same actors in many projects, William Petersen the protagonist in Manhunter was the bartender in Thief.

Tom Noonan, who played Francis Dollarhyde in Manhunter was also in Heat - he was the guy in the wheelchair who sold the crew the bank job.

Petersen and Noonan later appeared together in some episodes of CSI.

User Tag List