Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hydra-Shok Deep Review

Hydra-Shok Deep Review

Something I found this morning while making my usual rounds.

https://www.americanrifleman.org/art...se-ammunition/

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Tokarev; 08-14-2019 at 07:29 AM.

I spy a Gadget.

Its an interesting bullet, but I'm not sure its better than HST.

Here's another (tntoutdoors):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p02Q8cQ8e5A
    Last edited by Speederlander; 08-14-2019 at 03:53 PM.

Why would they do this...introduce a competitor to their HST line?

Is it going to be more affordable or something?

Quote Originally Posted by Redhat View Post

Competition for marketshare.
    ''Politics is for the present, but an equation is for eternity.'' ―Albert Einstein

Full disclosure per the Pistol-Forum CoC: I am the author of Quantitative Ammunition Selection.

Quote Originally Posted by the Schwartz View Post
    Competition for marketshare.
    Classic Hydra-Shok is getting a little long in the tooth. Good ammo in 1988 but not so much in 2019. Hopefully the new Deep will replace the legacy bullet across the product line.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Tokarev View Post
    Classic Hydra-Shok is getting a little long in the tooth. Good ammo in 1988 but not so much in 2019. Hopefully the new Deep will replace the legacy bullet across the product line.
    It sure is.

As a young Deputy Sheriff in the late 80s, the 9mm Hydra Shok (in 147-grain "flavor") was the first ammunition that I was ever issued along with the S&W 5906. Despite the amount of "bad press" that it has received over the following decades, we never had a problem with it at all and never lost an officer over the time that I served with that agency.

After finding new (and much higher-paying) LE employment in late 1995, I was surprised to find that the issued ammunition (issued service weapon was the Sig P226), was the same Federal 9mm 147-grain Hydra Shok JHP as my prior employer and that my new agency had experienced the same great results with it.

I am hoping to see some independent testing of the new "Deep" iteration in 10% gelatin (of course) soon, hopefully across all calibers.

Do you have plans to do any testing?
    Last edited by the Schwartz; 08-15-2019 at 03:53 PM.
    ''Politics is for the present, but an equation is for eternity.'' ―Albert Einstein

Full disclosure per the Pistol-Forum CoC: I am the author of Quantitative Ammunition Selection.

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by Redhat View Post

I imagine the same question was asked when the HST was introduced. Why make a bullet that competes against the Hydra-Shok.

Quote Originally Posted by the Schwartz View Post
    Do you have plans to do any testing?
    Nothing presently. I have been trying to keep an eye out locally but haven't been able to find any.

Actually what I'd kind of like to do is pull a couple and load them into 357 Mag. See if I can't get ~ 1,100 fps from a 2" snub. Mostly just curious but if I can get a relatively soft shooting 9mm +P load from a snub (and it works well in gel) I might email Federal.

User Tag List