Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: RFI: WiFi/IP Security Cameras

Smoke Bomb / Ninja Vanish Chance's Avatar

RFI: WiFi/IP Security Cameras

I'm in the process of researching WiFi security cameras. This isn't for zombie apocalypse prep - mostly just for figuring out if I actually need to answer the door, or being notified if someone is around the gate to the yard. I'm hoping the folks here can give me some pointers.

Must haves:
    • Weather proof. While the cameras will be mounted where they'll receive minimum direct exposure to the weather, they're still outside.
    • Support for viewing on multiple devices. My wife and I will both be using these, so we need to be able to view the streams on more than one device.
    • Battery powered.

Nice to haves:
    • No monthly payments. I wouldn't mind a minor monthly/yearly charge for bonus features like cloud storage, but having a base fee just to use equipment I own isn't acceptable.
    • Two-way audio. I doubt I'd use it very often, but the option would be nice.
    • Non-Google. Their support for their ecosystem is all over the map, and I don't want something that will cease to work when Google is distracted by something shiny and shuts down that project.

I'm leaning towards the Blink XT2s for their battery life, free cloud storage, and the fact we already have various things in the Amazon ecosystem in the house. But I'm open to other suggestions.

Thoughts?
    "Sapiens dicit: 'Ignoscere divinum est, sed noli pretium plenum pro pizza sero allata solvere.'" - Michelangelo

Site Supporter
    I use Nest (doorbell and backyard cam) and Arlo (interior, deck, and backyard).

You don't have any fees with Arlo. There might be a fee-based option for cloud storage, but basic functionality is free. I'm able to view my cameras via a web browser or smartphone app.

Nest works equally as well, but requires mains power. It too is free for real-time viewing, but if you want the advanced features, you'll need to pay a fee.

ETA: Nest has audio, but Arlo does not.

Chris
    Last edited by mtnbkr; 08-14-2019 at 07:50 AM.

I have the slightly older Blink cams, and they work well.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

I have an arlo set I need to install. Ring does a pretty good job of just letting me know if a doorbell ring warrants attention.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

I installed three of these all on top of fence posts, back in January, all mine had to be solar as they are no where near the house, and the solar panels have kept them running fine, the video is decent day and night, and they have held up to the weather. The record and playback software was well done for my purposes. 7 months in and I recommend them at this point.
    Last edited by fatdog; 08-14-2019 at 10:06 AM.

I have been down this road of research and concluded that for my needs and preference, inexpensive POE IP cameras were the right solution. POE has the advantage that it doesn't have the glitches and range issues of wifi, but the downside is you have to run an ethernet cable to your install location. I have had some success in using higher quality powerline ethernet adapters to get the ethernet to some of the more remote locations, but you have to be judicious in finding the optimal interference free outlets to use at times. Blue iris software running on a core i7 desktop with a high capacity WD Black HD has been rock solid for storing footage. The optional phone app for accessing BI server works pretty well. It does take some router configuration and basic networking skills to setup everything.

Site Supporter

Blink XT2

I bought the 2-camera Blink XT2 system when on sale at Amazon. https://www.amazon.com/All-new-Blink...s%2C243&sr=8-3 Although I'm only 2 weeks into it, so far so good. Installation was painless. Performance has been very good. My only problem thus far is that some wasps are taunting me by landing on/near my west camera. I'm working on a wasp eradication plan. I will eventually add a couple more cameras to cover some blind spots. ELN

Smoke Bomb / Ninja Vanish Chance's Avatar
    After reading the thread Rob linked to, and reading various review online, it doesn't appear any system is a slam dunk over any of the others. I went ahead and picked up the Blink XT2s. I'll report back in a few months.
    "Sapiens dicit: 'Ignoscere divinum est, sed noli pretium plenum pro pizza sero allata solvere.'" - Michelangelo

Quote Originally Posted by Chance View Post
    After reading the thread Rob linked to, and reading various review online, it doesn't appear any system is a slam dunk over any of the others. I went ahead and picked up the Blink XT2s. I'll report back in a few months.
    I don't think any of these systems are fully baked. The bigger issue for me is I'll be damed if I'm letting any wifi camera system backed by the likes of Amazon, Google, or any other freedom hating company surveil my property / residence.

User Tag List