Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Buying a KAC SR-15

Quote Originally Posted by DanM View Post
    Sometime last year I mentioned that after realizing how little rifle ammo I actually shoot every year, I decided that it made sense to sell my two ARs and use the money to buy one that I’ve always wanted. In my case, that’s a KAC SR-15. After some life changes put this plan on hold last year, I’m now in a place where I can make this purchase happen. I’ll be listing my two ARs for sale here and on Armslist soon. What I would like everyone’s help with is deciding whether I will buy a complete 16” SR-15 Mod 2 or buy a separate lower and 11.5” SR-15 Mod 2 upper and assemble it as a pistol with a brace.

Here are my circumstances. This will be my only AR once I successfully sell the two I have now. I likely won’t be buying another one since I’ll likely never shoot enough to wear this one out. It will thus have to be a do-all gun. I will use this AR for home defense, training and practice, and possibly the occasional two gun match.

My current employer issues 11.5” SBRs. I will not be allowed to use a personally owned rifle on duty so the SR-15 I buy will not be a duty gun. Going with the 11.5” option will give me a gun that handles similarly to the gun I will be using at work but I don’t know how important that really is. Plenty of people have been issued SBRs at work but did most of their training with full size carbines.

I do not currently have a suppressor but will likely purchase one in the future. The optic on this rifle will most likely be the Aimpoint T2 that is currently on one of my ARs. I may try a LPVO in the future but the work guns all have red dots mounted on them so sticking with the T2 will give me commonality of equipment.

I’m worried that, since AR pistol braces are in the public eye after the Dayton murders, braces will soon be going the way of the bump stock. If I go the pistol route, I’ll be stuck having to SBR my gun if that happens. If the government doesn’t get rid of pistol braces, then I’d have the benefits of a pistol over an SBR: being able to have the gun loaded in a vehicle, not having to notify ATF if I want to take the gun out of state, etc.

I don’t have any experience with an 11.5” KAC gun. One of my friends has a 16” SR-15 I can try out.

What does everyone think?
    If you're going to run a suppressor, go with the 11.5" upper. Either get it as a factory SBR or set it up as a pistol. If they should ban the brace, you can simply remove the brace and be legal. If you get it as a pistol, you can Form 1 the AR and run a stock when your stamp comes in.

However, don't fall victim to "Analysis Paralysis". Both are excellent choices. Pick the configuration you like best and get to shooting.
    Last edited by MistWolf; 08-12-2019 at 07:14 PM.
    We wish to thank the United Network Command for Law and Enforcement, without whose assistance this program would not have been possible.

Should’ve mentioned it, but my preference for a do all/one size fits all carbine is absolutely a 14.5. That’s actually the only reason I’m selling my 16” KAC. It’s not a tremendous difference but I’ll take every inch I can get.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

While I do like the idea of a 14.5” barrel and think it’s probably a better length for a do everything rifle than the 16”, I hate that it’s an NFA length. I don’t want to deal with the pinned and welded muzzle device again. I have a 14.5” pinned and welded BCM now. If I’m going to get a pistol or SBR I want it to be substantially shorter than a 16” gun.
    My posts only represent my personal opinion and do not necessarily reflect the opinions or official policies of any employer, past or present. Obvious spelling errors are likely the result of an iPhone keyboard.

While I do like the idea of a 14.5” barrel and think it’s probably a better length for a do everything rifle than the 16”, I hate that it’s an NFA length. I don’t want to deal with the pinned and welded muzzle device again. I have a 14.5” pinned and welded BCM now. If I’m going to get a pistol or SBR I want it to be substantially shorter than a 16” gun.
    Did you have issues with your pin and welded upper? I did on one of mine and decided I wouldn’t get another 14.5. Then I got the 16” and decided there was no way it was worth the length. I’m super picky and obviously it’s all personal preference, but even after my problem barrel, I prefer the p/w.

Quote Originally Posted by Wake27 View Post
    Did you have issues with your pin and welded upper? I did on one of mine and decided I wouldn’t get another 14.5. Then I got the 16” and decided there was no way it was worth the length. I’m super picky and obviously it’s all personal preference, but even after my problem barrel, I prefer the p/w.

I never had any issues with it but I wanted to swap out the muzzle device and didn’t because I was afraid of the smith damaging the barrel while doing so. That might be an ill informed worry though. I’ve heard of people wrecking their barrels but they could have been doing everything wrong.
    My posts only represent my personal opinion and do not necessarily reflect the opinions or official policies of any employer, past or present. Obvious spelling errors are likely the result of an iPhone keyboard.

I never had any issues with it but I wanted to swap out the muzzle device and didn’t because I was afraid of the smith damaging the barrel while doing so. That might be an ill informed worry though. I’ve heard of people wrecking their barrels but they could have been doing everything wrong.
    I’ve had a few done by now, maybe three or so. It’s more expensive and more of a pain in the ass, but as long as you find someone decent, it’s shouldn’t be a problem. It does often destroy the pinned muzzle device, but not always. Personally, I’d decide what suppressor I’d want to go with now. I‘d probably only pay for Surefire and KAC. And I like hybrid devices so depending on which brand I settle on for the can, WarComp or MAMS. Have it p/w on a 14.5 and be content with one do-all rifle. Still not the best to throw a can on, but you’ll be far less likely to ever have to worry about legalities and the 14.5 will save you 1.5-2” of overall length which will help with the suppressor. Again, all IMO. And I can’t ever imagine having just one AR so there’s that. I’m at a point where I’ve had enough troubles with quality guns that I want a primary and secondary for both my wife and myself before I jump into something riskier like pistols/SBRs. Plus I have a beater PSA so that’s five 16.1” OAL guns before I mess with an 11.5 or 12.5.

User Tag List