Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Snowflakes guide to dealing with open carriers

Yes it would.

Quote Originally Posted by DanM View Post
    The right to open CARRY is protected by the second amendment. Open CARRIERS are going to ruin things for everyone else. It’s a crappy situation, especially since so few open carriers seem to understand why it’s a bad idea.
    +1

It is pretty much in many places; for now. But there is such a long history of it being restricted and what with clear SCOTUS rulings being OK with some restrictions on carrying . . .

I fear that the OC crowd is a big risk to undoing gains made in the "shall issue" reforms of the last 20 years.

I don't think we are not going to win this one if push comes to shove after OC triggers revanchist laws.

Opponents have a lot of historical precedent to reigning it in.

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/histo...est-180968013/
    Last edited by JHC; 08-12-2019 at 01:33 PM.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Quote Originally Posted by 36trap View Post
    Well, not having the business end of the firearm pointed at you is a pretty clear indicator between someone open carrying and a person about to open fire.
    That's an overly simplistic and inaccurate answer.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

Snowflakes guide to dealing with open carriers:

1. Notice scary gun.
    2. Convince yourself the open carrier has bad intentions and might shoot the joint up.
    3. Cause a scene and/or pull the fire alarm so people run for the hills resulting in police response.
    4. Watch as open carrier is shot by responding police or hauled away in cuffs for making a terroristic threat.
    5. Earn bonus points for live streaming and selling your footage to fake news source.

Instead, the chain of events in states where OC is enumerated within the state constitution as a right will more likely read:

1. Notice scary gun.
    2. Convince yourself the open carrier has bad intentions and might shoot the joint up.
    3. Cause a scene and/or pull the fire alarm so people run for the hills resulting in police response.
    4. Get hauled away in cuffs for making a false report/alarm and/or inducing panic.
    5. Earn bonus points for live streaming and selling your footage to fake news source which will hopefully generate enough income to pay your retainer and any fines you might incur.

We have lots of OC-ers here (Ohio) even in the metro areas. Rarely do we see problems, but when it does it is usually due to improperly-posted NGZ signage.

I think that it is a mistake to classify all whom OC to be brainless, macho, testosterone-filled chest-thumping attention seekers who endanger our CC legislation as many who OC simply are not.
    Last edited by the Schwartz; 08-12-2019 at 01:50 PM.
    ''Politics is for the present, but an equation is for eternity.'' ―Albert Einstein

Full disclosure per the Pistol-Forum CoC: I am the author of Quantitative Ammunition Selection.

Quote Originally Posted by the Schwartz View Post
    Instead, the chain of events in states where OC is enumerated within the state constitution as a right will more likely read:

1. Notice scary gun.
    4. Get hauled away in cuffs for making a false report/alarm and/or inducing panic.
    5. Earn bonus points for live streaming and selling your footage to fake news source which will hopefully generate enough income to pay your retainer and any fines you might incur.

We have lots of OC-ers here (Ohio) even in the metro areas. Rarely do we see problems, but when it does it is usually due to improperly-posted NGZ signage.

I think that it is a mistake to classify all whom OC to be brainless, macho, testosterone-filled chest-thumping attention seekers who endanger our CC legislation as many who OC simply are not.
    While there is always a statistical chance, the odds of being arrested on false charges in the example above are likely astronomically low, given current conditions.*

*This opinion is based on absolutely nothing. On the positive this piece of cake I am eating tells me I am 100% right!
    Last edited by Zincwarrior; 08-12-2019 at 02:44 PM.

@Zincwarrior

Yes I have seen open carry with long guns by Leo. But no, not urban. Country environment.

I was referring to a pistol though. I should have been more clear I am sorry.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Trukinjp13 View Post
    @Zincwarrior

Yes I have seen open carry with long guns by Leo. But no, not urban. Country environment.

I was referring to a pistol though. I should have been more clear I am sorry.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I am just referring to Open Carry of long guns, per the OP. Ihave seen lots of OC in rural environments of both types, and some OC of handguns in an urban environment. But someone out of place carrying a long gun in a city? Nope.
    Last edited by Zincwarrior; 08-12-2019 at 03:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Hambo View Post
    That's an overly simplistic and inaccurate answer.
    It's a very simplistic answer. We can't expect people who struggle to keep their face out of a screen for more than 30 seconds to have good situational awareness or understand violence indicators, let alone apply that knowledge to their daily grind. There's nothing inaccurate about any part of the statement I made.

Quote Originally Posted by the Schwartz View Post

1. Notice scary gun.
    I don't see many people getting hassled over #4. See something, say something combined with current climate on this subject.

Quote Originally Posted by Zincwarrior View Post
    I am just referring to Open Carry of long guns, per the OP. Ihave seen lots of OC in rural environments of both types, and some OC of handguns in an urban environment. But someone out of place carrying a long gun in a city? Nope.
    As I mentioned in another thread, when I'm in the Colorado Springs area I see open carry of handguns, shotguns, and rifles to include AR-15's. People don't get bent about it so it must happen with some frequency. I have seen clowns carrying AR-15's slung in a Walmart supercenter. I'm told by a family member who is retired LE that it's not uncommon to see that in the area. I specifically recall seeing examples of long gun carry in the Walmart, BassPro shops, the grocery store, and the hardware store during my trips out there.
    Last edited by Old Man Winter; 08-12-2019 at 03:31 PM.

As I mentioned in another thread, when I'm in the Colorado Springs area I see open carry of handguns, shotguns, and rifles to include AR-15's. People don't get bent about it so it must happen with some frequency. I have seen clowns carrying AR-15's slung in a Walmart supercenter. I'm told by a family member who is retired LE that it's not uncommon to see that in the area. I specifically recall seeing examples of long gun carry in the Walmart, BassPro shops, the grocery store, and the hardware store during my trips out there.
    I imagine that reception might be different in Austin or San Antonio right now.

If you OC a SA rifle somebody is going to stop you.

It might be the Po Po or a citizen but you can bet your ass there will be an interdiction.

If you don't believe me go to your local Walmart with a SA rifle and prove me wrong.

Be sure to wear your camo and plate vest for additional scare factor.

Good luck. Report back if you're able.
    Last edited by Borderland; 08-12-2019 at 04:37 PM.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

User Tag List