Thread: Cleaning Kit for .38 K Frame

Cleaning Kit for .38 K Frame

I am looking for a good cleaning kit for my .38 Special K frames. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by Flamingo View Post
    I am looking for a good cleaning kit for my .38 Special K frames. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

For a .38 I recommend a good bronze brush, and two boresnakes: a .38 and a .40 cal. The .40 cal bore snake is to get the charge holes in the cylinder clean, and the .38 is obviously for everything else. Grab some rags and your cleaner of choice and you’re all set.

Site Supporter
    My strong recommendation is to buy components suggested and avoid a kit which, though it will have a brush and other rod tips plus a few patches, will in most cases have a cheap and really shit rod. Browse midwayusa.com and buy components. Spend your money on a first class stainless steel rod. It will last a life time. Avoid jointed rods. Avoid aluminum rods. Go to Harbor Freight or a parts house and buy a box for storage. Be sure to get plastic as well as bristle brushes. Avoid steel bristle brushes. Bore snakes for me are not worth the money. Bite the bullet and buy Sip 2000 oil. Rem Oil from Walmart is ok to spray on patches or brushes for cleaning. Plus it won't damage anything. Tooth brushes are required for cleaning under the extractor star.

Site Supporter
    I shoot a lot of lead reloads.
    So I use a brass jag alternating between wet and dry patches to get the lead out.
    Since I shoot a lot of .38 in my .357s, I use .40 cal brass brush on a hand drill and use that to clean out the cylinders.

Site Supporter
    I found that cleaning them while still warm from shooting helps a great deal, especially with lead bullet reloads that is all I shoot anymore in revolvers. Get a properly fitting screwdriver for the screw that keeps the crane from falling out and remove the crane and cylinder assembly a couple times a year minimum for a clean and lube.

Quote Originally Posted by jetfire View Post

For a .38 I recommend a good bronze brush, and two boresnakes: a .38 and a .40 cal. The .40 cal bore snake is to get the charge holes in the cylinder clean, and the .38 is obviously for everything else. Grab some rags and your cleaner of choice and you’re all set.
    What he said.
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.
    "If I had a grandpa, he would look like Delbert Belton".

User Tag List