Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Glock 43 Failure to Feed

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Mac View Post
    <snip>The gun is very dirty (my trainer/spare that goes years between cleanings, never my carry gun)
    <snip>
    I suspect the issue is simply a blunt jhp hitting a caked feed ramp, with a dirty breech face likely contributing.
    In my case, it's definitely not related to dirt or caking. I meticulously clean my guns after every range session (it's part of the ritual). I can't post pics as I don't have it with me but the gun is like new clean (though as mentioned I haven't remove the slide's internal parts but I don't think they bear on stripping the first round off the mag). I tried four different JHPs selected specifically for their varying profile (Critical defence being the pointiest to another, I forget which, that was virtually like a FMJ) all with no apparent effect. I ruled out bullet profile for this reason.

I have the -01 magazines.

Quote Originally Posted by Pappy35 View Post
    Thanks for all the replies. Answers, in no particular order:

• The gun probably has about 500-600 rounds total with all original parts except for the Pierce +1's.
    • The issue happens almost 90% of the time with the first round in the mag using either the slide release or slingshot. It also happens mid-mag while shooting but, say, only 10-20% of the time once loaded. No where near reliable enough for self-defence use as-is.
    • I don't reload or use reman ammo. Only Blazer/Winchester/Hornady/Federal ammo.
    • I can't say if this is new or pre-existing as most of the ammo I've run through it has been FMJ. My shooting went idle for a long time and the gun sat in its place, fully loaded, with 7 rounds in each mag for all that time so I could see that the mag springs may have relaxed. I put about 50 self defence rounds through it when new and don't recall having any trouble. So, good when new, several hundred through it, then sat idle for a year or more with fully loaded mags, now 50-60 more rounds with constant FTF. 100% reliable with FMJ's.
    • I only have the two original mags. The FTF happens with both of them with, or without, the Pierce base plates installed.
    • I've run out of JHP so I can't test anything at the moment until my new order comes in.
    • I have two new OEM mags coming in today.
    • Didn't think to tear the slide down to check for sludge in the extractor. I'll check that tonight when I get home.

I called Glock today and it sounds like I might just return it and let them check it out if this keeps happening with the new mags. He did ask if I had the -02 mags but I don't have it here so I couldn't answer. I know internet diagnosis is difficult (or impossible in some cases). I posted this to query the hive-mind and document the fix once i have it.

I just bought a 43X and will be swapping slides when my new ammo gets here just to see if that makes any difference before I send it back.

PS - The 43X is sweet! I traded in my G19 for it.
    Bet new mag springs will be the fix. Small, light pistols and their short mags are more finicky in regards to slide velocity and spring strength.

Quote Originally Posted by Danjojo View Post
    Bet new mag springs will be the fix. Small, light pistols and their short mags are more finicky in regards to slide velocity and spring strength.
    First on my to-do list when I get home tomorrow. New mags (and a Vicker's +2 with spring just for gits and shiggles), and 150 rds of Hydra-Shok 124gr will be getting here. I'll try the ammo first in my current magazines just to make sure it's still happening, then the new OEM mags with the new ammo. If it hangs with any of those then I'm packing it up for trip back home to das vaterland (that's Austrian for Smyrna, Georgia ). If not, then I'll go ahead and order a new RSA just for good measure.

I didn't ask when I called but do you guys know if Glock charges for visits like this? The gun is out of warranty.

Site Supporter

Sig 365 XL Malfunction

Last week a man bought a new 365 XL from my lgs. Today he brought it back with this complaint. With factory mags and an array of factory ammo this malfunction occurred. Slide would stop or hang up a full .75 inch before complete forward travel point was reached. The event was frequent--at least 4 times in every magazine--and happened throughout 300 rounds fired. Bumping slide made it go forward as it should. Owner will call Sig tomorrow. My opinion is that a defective recoil spring is the culprit.

Nosedives are almost always a weak mag spring.

Glock didn't consult with any 1911 guys when they decided to do a single stack, and it shows...

I wrote a long ass post about this somewhere. What I figured out was that 43's are very sensitive to mag spring tension, if you use any +1 baseplate you need to use extra power springs (I think I have ZEV but have to look) and the safest thing is to just stick with the factory 6 rounders. They are also, once they get some wear on the recoil spring, sensitive to bullet length, profile, and also slide speed. Talking with JHPs--ball just feeds no matter what.

115 gold dots seem to feed even with weak-ish mag springs and any recoil spring, 147 HST (everyone's preferred bullet, including mine), are way more finicky. I stopped using anything but 115 gold dots for carry in my G43. For ball I'll run whatever is at hand, from 115 to 147--it all works fine.

Well, I got my 2 new mags in and they aren't any better. So, brand new, 6-round Glock mags (-01 part number) still nosedive the first couple of rounds. That's 4 OEM mags, with or without the Pierce +1's, even the Vickers +2 I bought does it also. I've tried 5 different brands of JHP now counting the (Hail)Hydra-Shoks I got yesterday. I'm packing it up to send back to Glock. I'll follow up here with whatever they find.
    Last edited by Pappy35; 08-15-2019 at 12:41 PM.

Sorry to hear that. Let us know how it turns out!

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Pappy35 View Post
    Well, I got my 2 new mags in and they aren't any better. So, brand new, 6-round Glock mags (-01 part number) still nosedive the first couple of rounds. That's 4 OEM mags, with or without the Pierce +1's, even the Vickers +2 I bought does it also. I've tried 5 different brands of JHP now counting the (Hail)Hydra-Shoks I got yesterday. I'm packing it up to send back to Glock. I'll follow up here with whatever they find.
    Did you change the recoil spring?

User Tag List