Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Nightstick TCM-550xl

Quote Originally Posted by AMC View Post
    We have one of these, and their larger lights, for T&E. I also find the "off" delay mildly annoying, but it is like .25 sec. Have not heard of anyone using them in a serious, professional setting. Switching is superior to the XC-1 and Gen1 TLR7, though.
    DE State Police issues the 550's and the 850's
    VDMSR.com
    Chief Developer for V Development Group
    Everything I post I do so as a private individual who is not representing any company or organization.

Living across the Golden Bridge , and through the Rainbow Tunnel, somewhere north of Fantasyland.
    Quote Originally Posted by voodoo_man View Post
    DE State Police issues the 550's and the 850's
    Yeah, I've since gotten a list of agencies either issuing or approving the WMLs and handheld lights. So far I've been impressed by the 550XL we have. Good amount of light, and has been surprisingly durable. As for holster fit, they'll fit Safariland holsters designed for similar Streamlight lights (e.g. the TLR-1 and TLR-7). As mentioned in a separate thread by TGS, with the newer 7TS Safailand rigs, there's no real gap, especially with the smaller lights and holsters.

ETA: one of the agencies authorizing them is LAPD. They have them for sale now at their Academy store.
    Last edited by AMC; 09-14-2019 at 01:08 PM.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by voodoo_man View Post
    I'm working on a write up
    How's that going? Super interested to read it when you're finished.

Quote Originally Posted by RAM Engineer View Post
    How's that going? Super interested to read it when you're finished.
    Life gets in the way of all things.
    VDMSR.com
    Chief Developer for V Development Group
    Everything I post I do so as a private individual who is not representing any company or organization.

We have already had one serious failure with one of these on day 2. One of the guys on my squad is a firearms instructor and they were issued their G45s/nightstick combo first. He can't get the lens off and the light won't activate.....and we have tried and tried to unscrew the lens assembly off to get to the battery.

Not dropped or otherwise impacted. 150 round shooting session and she's dead.

Sample of one but not encouraging. I'm hoping it's simply cross threaded. Cops here are rough on equipment so it's going to be a true test of this light.

This is only initial observations. The light mounts tight to the triggerguard and locks up well when tightened down to the rail. Switching is pretty easy one handed. Just have to remember it’s sort of a rocker vs a push switch. Throw is good and it’s more of a focused beam than a wide spread. Which is cool with me because where I live ambient light outside moon is non existent.

I got the strobe model on sale. And fortunately it has been impossible to accidentally activate it. Switch is a simple tap for constant on and hold for momentary. Some sort of double tap and do a jig turns on the strobe.

Obviously I need to put a lot of rounds through my gun to see how she will hold up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

After using the Nightstick light I am not impressed with it.

I am on my second one (issued) after the first one had a serious malfunction. Overall, we have been told that there have been multiple failures and that the troops are super disappointed in the light's output. Going from the TLR1-HL to a lower output, single cell light probably has a lot to do with it.

We have seen:
    bad threads
    bad LED pills
    bad circuitry after light water submersion
    accidental switching on draw strokes
    battery drain (parasitic drain when in the On mode and not rotated to the storage mode) due to constant connection with the switches. In the light's defense, it still works....but output is in the 100-200 lumen range when compared to pocket LED lights of that sort of output.

Hopefully, they will either fix the issues or the issues will level out. My replacement is still working but has displayed a severe dive in output just sitting around. I'm hoping it was the battery provided (Energizer 123) and now have a Surefire cell in it. I do plan on running it on a pistol soon while shooting so maybe it'll last the session.

I miss my TLR-1HL. I'm not playing paintball out there.....I need reliable lighting. The TLR1 HL was rock solid. Our agency is about 400 plus....and we had exemplary performance from that light.

Hope everyone else has better luck with them.

Regards.

Nightstick TCM-550xl

+1.....It’s a crap light.
    Last edited by bravo7; 01-17-2020 at 01:29 PM.

That figures. Streamlight ftw. I’m going to just use this until it craps out I guess. I put a tiny bit of anti seize on the threads when I installed battery.

Quote Originally Posted by Trukinjp13 View Post
    That figures. Streamlight ftw. I’m going to just use this until it craps out I guess. I put a tiny bit of anti seize on the threads when I installed battery.

My second one seems to be holding up so you may have a good one. Time will tell.

User Tag List