Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Need some help identifying an older S&W .32 revolver

Quote Originally Posted by Malamute View Post
    Here is some more 32 load info, this is specific to 32 S&W Long.

http://www.lasc.us/FryxellThe32S-WLong.htm

Theres also a ton of load info on the castboolits forum. Searches there often yield endless hours of reading on topics of interest.
    Thank you Malamute!

Great article and I totally agree with you on the Castboolits forum. I did a search there yesterday (I'm a member) and I've been copying and pasting like a mad man, and still have pages to go.

Well...it shoots better than I do!

I finally made it to the local indoor range and shot a few factory loads today.

I'll hopefully be working up some handloads over the next few weeks.

The DA trigger pull is very nice, and the SA is crazy light...but I have minimal experience with SA triggers. All shooting was offhand, but I'd like to see what the gun can do with some handloads and a rest.

In my defense (or as excuse, yep, it's an excuse...) I am spoiled by primarily shooting an RMR'd G 17 over the past year. At 15 yards I could not see the circles I was shooting at and have trouble seeing the minuscule sights on this revolver...so I just aimed at where I thought the center and right hand circles should be. My 65 year old bifocaled eyes just ain't what they used to be. I think I'd have done better sticking with DA only. But as my bride was sharing the lane with me I didn't want to hog up the time we had.
    I'll keep working on this.

Any tips and suggestions are more than welcome.

Attachment 41778

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie View Post
    In my defense (or as excuse, yep, it's an excuse...) I am spoiled by primarily shooting an RMR'd G 17 over the past year. At 15 yards I could not see the circles I was shooting at and have trouble seeing the minuscule sights on this revolver...so I just aimed at where I thought the center and right hand circles should be.
    Yep, you're spoiled. That's good shooting. Get some B8s so you can see what you're shooting at and I'll bet you'll be even happier.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

Excellent suggestion @Hambo! and Thank you.

I have a stack of B-8's and just put them in my range bag. That contrast in color should definitely help.

Nickel sights are hard to see, particularly against a light background. You might try some black fingernail polish on the frame around the rear sight, and something that is easy to see on the front, I mostly use a white base coat with super bright orange top coat (Salon Perfect Traffic Cone seems the brightest Ive found so far).

A solid black dot or regular black bullseye target will probably help, most find holding on the bottom of the black (6 oclock hold) the easiest to see well and give consistent grouping.

Some actual target grips may help also.

I wouldnt be at all surprised if the gun was capable of 1 1/2" or smaller groups @ 25 yards with ammo it likes and everything squared away for best shooting. Whatever it will do, it should be a lot of fun to shoot and pretty cheap shooting once you are reloading.
    Last edited by Malamute; 08-26-2019 at 05:45 PM.

Site Supporter
    @Jamie - For the love of all that's good, get yourself some wadcutter ammo. You'll be making one small hole in those B8s.

Quote Originally Posted by revchuck38 View Post
    @Jamie - For the love of all that's good, get yourself some wadcutter ammo. You'll be making one small hole in those B8s.
    LOL. I'm just emptying brass so I'll have more to handload. I've got 500 LWC Miester bullets just waiting for me to finish priming and expanding the bag of 700 .38's sitting on my bench.
    So it won't be much longer now. This whole "work" situation interferes with my shootin' life!

Nickel sights are hard to see, particularly against a light background. You might try some black fingernail polish on the frame around the rear sight, and something that is easy to see on the front, I mostly use a white base coat with super bright orange top coat (Salon Perfect Traffic Cone seems the brightest Ive found so far).
    They are definitely difficult for me to see clearly. Thanks for listing the exact orange polish. I'll get some ASAP.

A solid black dot or regular black bullseye target will probably help, most find holding on the bottom of the black (6 oclock hold) the easiest to see well and give consistent grouping.

Some actual target grips may help also.
    I'll certainly look into the target grips. The BK grip adapter made a huge difference on this particular gun (for me). I would imagine proper target grips would be even more significant of an improvement.

I wouldnt be at all surprised if the gun was capable of 1 1/2" or smaller groups @ 25 yards with ammo it likes and everything squared away for best shooting. Whatever it will do, it should be a lot of fun to shoot and pretty cheap shooting once you are reloading.
    I certainly hope so.

And I am really looking forward to working up some loads, and at 1.8-2.0 grs per round? Yep, It'll prove very affordable.

Thank you Malamute.

I finally caught another day off and made it back to the range.
    I had some Testor's handy and put some on the front sight...and used a B8 this time as suggested.
    Wadcutter handloads are still pending, but I picked up some additional powders yesterday as well.

The contrast with the orange on the front sight and the Black target definitely helped out to 15 yards. I still had difficulty with precise sight alignment at 25 yards, but at least kept all the rounds on the paper DA at 25.
    I plan to pick up the white and orange polish as suggested and still look forward to some accurate handloads.

Thanks again for the suggestions folks!

B8. 6 rounds each at 8-10-15 yards DA. I'm liking this old revolver!
    Attachment 42102

Well I finally had the opportunity to load and shoot some handloads for this revolver... finally.
    My bride of greater than 30 years has recently decided she wants to learn to shoot (Yahoo! ), so I've dedicated most of my free time teaching her dry fire and the majority of our weekly range sessions teaching her basic shooting... you gotta tread lightly in this endeavor folks. But I am thrilled for her interest!

This pics was a quick couple of cylinders of 100 gr Meister WC bullets, flush seated, over 1.9 grs Bullseye and WSPP, DA at 5 yards yesterday. I need to get out and chrono them if work will leave me be for a few days.

I hope to work them off a bag at 15- 25 next trip, but this old revolver seems to like this load.

Attachment 43145

User Tag List