Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Need some help identifying an older S&W .32 revolver

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Jamie View Post
    I appreciate any input in advance.

I inherited this revolver from my father. He had a strong leaning towards the .32 caliber S&W's. He carried a .32 S&W snubbie in his right hip pocket as far back as I can remember, since the early 1960's at the least. He kept this one as his bedside gun until he passed.
    I've had this one in the safe for around 10 years now, but this forum has rekindled my interest in wheelguns in a big way. So Thanks P-F for that!

The revolver is a fixed sight chromed .32. I took the side plate off this morning and cleaned a ton of crude out, oiled it up with Kroil and the action is now remarkably smooth. It locks up nice and tight and though I've only recently fired about 100 rounds through it, I've found it reliable and accurate (for me) thus far. 'm looking forward to working up some handloads for it.

I'll attach some pics below. I can certainly add more pics if needed.
    Thanks for any info you may be able to offer.
    Jamie

Attachment 41208

Attachment 41209

Attachment 41210

Attachment 41211
    This revolver shipped sometime in 1949, I believe.
    The folks at Smith-Wesson forum can likely narrow it down to the year and month.

Its a very nice gun, however, Im going to say its not a factory finish. Two things, the hammer and trigger are plated, Smith didnt normally do that, and the front of the frame where the yoke meets the frame, the factory finish-ground and polished those part assembled and the meeting joint usually is as perfect as can be, most after-factory refinishes dont leave them assembled and the joint is slightly rounded off at the edges, which yours looks like.

If not hurting for money, Id keep it and enjoy it as a functional family heirloom.

Edit: I cant tell from the pictures, what EXACTLY does the caliber marking say? Most K frame 32 M&Ps were in 32-20, or 32 WCF (same thing), not 32 S&W Long caliber.
    Last edited by Malamute; 08-11-2019 at 11:00 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Malamute View Post
    Its a very nice gun, however, Im going to say its not a factory finish. Two things, the hammer and trigger are plated, Smith didnt normally do that, and the front of the frame where the yoke meets the frame, the factory finish-ground and polished those part assembled and the meeting joint usually is as perfect as can be, most after-factory refinishes dont leave them assembled and the joint is slightly rounded off at the edges, which yours looks like.

If not hurting for money, Id keep it and enjoy it as a functional family heirloom.

Edit: I cant tell from the pictures, what EXACTLY does the caliber marking say? Most K frame 32 M&Ps were in 32-20, or 32 WCF (same thing), not 32 S&W Long caliber.
    It's a keeper, and a shooter Malamute. While I'm not at the level of ammo consumption of a lot of folks on here, the overwhelming majority of my autoloaders have at least 5K rounds through them most many times that.
    My wheel guns? Well I'm working on that. Good thing I handload!

Here's a better pic of the barrel. It was a challenge to get the lighting just right.

32 LONG CTG, but I have no idea of the significance of that. It's just that it lacked the traditional markings I was used to such as on my 686 I purchased in '87, or my '92 640.

I really appreciate the help of the good folks here.

Attachment 41224

OK, it is in fact 32 S&W Long caliber, not 32-20.You do have an uncommon gun.

It should be easy to load for, theres a lot of cast or jacketed bullets available, brass is easily available. It should be a lot of fun and very cheap to shoot.

I don't know if you reload, but if you do, I bet you could get a wadcutter load together for that would make you giggle because of how accurate, cheap and easy shooting it is.
    I was into 10mm Auto before it sold out and went mainstream, but these days I'm here for the revolver and epidemiology information.

Quote Originally Posted by Lester Polfus View Post
    I don't know if you reload, but if you do, I bet you could get a wadcutter load together for that would make you giggle because of how accurate, cheap and easy shooting it is.
    Absolutely I reload! Heck, I couldn't afford to shoot otherwise.

I just ordered a set of dies and some 100 gr Miester bullets. Now I have to search some load data and dust off my chrono. I have Bullseye, Unique, AA#2, 2400, HP 38, Titegroup, Trail Boss and probably something else in the cabinet.

I enjoy working up a good load almost as much as I do shooting. I'm looking forward to it.
    Last edited by Jamie; 08-11-2019 at 04:03 PM.

Thank you.I appreciate Ed Harris articles. There's some good info here that I'll put to use.

Thank you @Jim Watson and all here.
    The folks at S&W forum were very informative and helpful. You guys nailed it! Born approximately 1948 and fairly limited in production numbers.

I received my bullets, brass, and dies in the mail today. I'll work up some loads and drag out the chrono my next days off.

Looking forward to it!

Here is some more 32 load info, this is specific to 32 S&W Long.

http://www.lasc.us/FryxellThe32S-WLong.htm

Theres also a ton of load info on the castboolits forum. Searches there often yield endless hours of reading on topics of interest.

User Tag List