Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Need some help identifying an older S&W .32 revolver

Need some help identifying an older S&W .32 revolver

I appreciate any input in advance.

I inherited this revolver from my father. He had a strong leaning towards the .32 caliber S&W's. He carried a .32 S&W snubbie in his right hip pocket as far back as I can remember, since the early 1960's at the least. He kept this one as his bedside gun until he passed.
    I've had this one in the safe for around 10 years now, but this forum has rekindled my interest in wheelguns in a big way. So Thanks P-F for that!

The revolver is a fixed sight chromed .32. I took the side plate off this morning and cleaned a ton of crude out, oiled it up with Kroil and the action is now remarkably smooth. It locks up nice and tight and though I've only recently fired about 100 rounds through it, I've found it reliable and accurate (for me) thus far. 'm looking forward to working up some handloads for it.

I'll attach some pics below. I can certainly add more pics if needed.
    Thanks for any info you may be able to offer.
    Jamie

Name:  S&W 32 left side.jpg
Views: 1169
Size:  71.8 KB

Name:  S&W 32 right side.jpg
Views: 1106
Size:  64.9 KB

Attachment 41210

Attachment 41211

Checked my SCSW copy and it looks like a .32 Military & Police.
    Formerly known as xpd54.
    The opinions expressed in this post are my own and do not reflect the opinions or policies of my employer.
    www.gunsnobbery.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by Lon View Post
    Checked my SCSW copy and it looks like a .32 Military & Police.
    Is it a 5 screw?
    Formerly known as xpd54.
    The opinions expressed in this post are my own and do not reflect the opinions or policies of my employer.
    www.gunsnobbery.wordpress.com

The serial number identifies it as a fixed sight K frame ( probably a Military and Police as noted by Lon above) made between 1948 and 1952. This would also make it a 5 screw. A good resource for Smith and Wesson identification:

https://www.thehighroad.org/index.ph...atures.356710/
    Last edited by Half Moon; 08-11-2019 at 08:35 AM.

Outstanding folks!
    Thank you for the info. I was actually just reading that thread as I was trying to figure out how to tell if it was a 5 screw or not...there's much to learn about S&W identification.
    Much appreciated!

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Jamie View Post
    Outstanding folks!
    Thank you for the info. I was actually just reading that thread as I was trying to figure out how to tell if it was a 5 screw or not...there's much to learn about S&W identification.
    Much appreciated!
    If there is a screw on the frame in front of the trigger guard, and another at the top of the side plate (as is visible in your pics), it is a five screw. Those are the two screws that were later deleted. The serial number and research will tell you the date range of when it was made, which will tell you what it *should* be, but on a post-war gun, you may have to actually look it over to tell whether it was a transition model or not.
    Last edited by Duelist; 08-11-2019 at 09:10 AM.

Thank you Duelist.
    Then I've now learned it is in fact a 5 screw.
    Please pardon the terrible pic, but yes, there is a screw in front of the trigger guard.

You guys are a great resource.

Attachment 41219

The postwar .32 S&W Long Military & Police is quite scarce, only 4813 made, per SCSW.
    I can't tell from the pictures if it is factory nickel (rare) or aftermarket plated (still a great heirloom.)

Showing it on the S&W board would get some discussion going.
    http://smith-wessonforum.com/s-w-han...ors-1896-1961/

If you think it worth $75, you can get a Letter of Authenticity that will describe the original configuration and finish, and when and where shipped.
    You could go on from there with a Historical Letter which would give any other information available.
    http://www.swhistoricalfoundation.com/info.html
    Last edited by Jim Watson; 08-11-2019 at 10:10 AM.
    Code Name: JET STREAM

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Watson View Post
    The postwar .32 S&W Long Military & Police is quite scarce, only 4813 made, per SCSW.
    I can't tell from the pictures if it is factory nickel (rare) or aftermarket plated (still a great heirloom.)
    As you can tell from my posts and questions, my ignorance knows no bounds LOL. But I am being educated.

I have no idea how my father came into this gun. He ran a local grocery and butcher shop and like to play a bit of poker, so many "things" passed through our household as he would wheel and deal.

I'm most impressed at how tight and smooth the action is. I doubt he ever fired this gun. It's a great shooter. So I plan to enjoy it as one.

I don't know how helpful the attached pic would be, but this was it's insides before I cleaned it. The action smoothness improvement was dramatic, to say the least.

Attachment 41221

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Watson View Post
    Showing it on the S&W board would get some discussion going.
    http://smith-wessonforum.com/s-w-han...ors-1896-1961/

If you think it worth $75, you can get a Letter of Authenticity that will describe the original configuration and finish, and when and where shipped.
    You could go on from there with a Historical Letter which would give any other information available.
    http://www.swhistoricalfoundation.com/info.html
    Thanks for the suggestion.

I'll see about getting a thread going over there. Much obliged.

User Tag List