Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Current state of 7.62 Silencers (Cans, suppressors, whatever)

Current state of 7.62 Silencers (Cans, suppressors, whatever)

Maybe we already have this thread, but a quick search couldn't turn it up.

I'm curious to know what is "old faithful" and what is "new hotness" in the 7.62 silencer market these days. As I see it there are a couple of sub-categories here:
    1. 7.62 cans for "precision" shooting (call it sniping, benchrest, whatever)
    2. 7.62 silencers for "battle rifles" (AR10, FAL, SCAR, etc.)
    3. 7.62 multi-use silencers for potential use on both of the above, plus 300 Blackout, 5.56, etc. moved around to multiple guns.

That last one is the one I'm most interested in, personally, but figure they're all inter-related to a point for one thread.

Under category 3, what I've always hoped to find was
    • major manufacturer over 5 years in business (no garage makers, not looking to fund someone else's hobby)
    • Multiple mounts (5.56 FH & brake, 7.62 FH & brake, AK-compatible FH, etc.)
    • ~7" (turning a 10.5" barrel AR into ~the same length as a 16"+FH)
    • <16 oz (even less still would be better)
    • 1.5" OD
    • <$1k (<$800 even better)
    • <$100 mounts

I used to keep up with this chart, but I'm sure it's dated now.

Thanks for starting this. I'm in the market. I want one for my Ruger American Ranch in 300 B, but I'd also like to use it on my Remington LTR. It would be a big plus if I could also use it on an AR. I've been considering a Gemtech One or a Silencerco Omega so far.

I have two 7.62 mm cans: an AAC SR-7 and a SiCo Omega. I use the Omega for my thread on bolt guns. It is light and short and balances well. You can change the front and rear caps for 5.56 mm. However, I would not use it for semi-auto guns. The end caps threading is not the most robust. I use the SR-7 for my AR-10, FAL, etc. It is very robust albeit heavier and longer. At 7.6" long, 1.5" wide, 19 oz with widely available mounts for <$100 and a price of $700; I think it fits category 3 well. It is 'old' tech developed by Kevin Brittingham's staff before they left but it works and because it's old, it's cheap.

Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    Maybe we already have this thread, but a quick search couldn't turn it up.

I'm curious to know what is "old faithful" and what is "new hotness" in the 7.62 silencer market these days. As I see it there are a couple of sub-categories here:
    1. 7.62 cans for "precision" shooting (call it sniping, benchrest, whatever)
    2. 7.62 silencers for "battle rifles" (AR10, FAL, SCAR, etc.)
    3. 7.62 multi-use silencers for potential use on both of the above, plus 300 Blackout, 5.56, etc. moved around to multiple guns.

That last one is the one I'm most interested in, personally, but figure they're all inter-related to a point for one thread.

Under category 3, what I've always hoped to find was
    • major manufacturer over 5 years in business (no garage makers, not looking to fund someone else's hobby)
    • Multiple mounts (5.56 FH & brake, 7.62 FH & brake, AK-compatible FH, etc.)
    • ~7" (turning a 10.5" barrel AR into ~the same length as a 16"+FH)
    • <16 oz (even less still would be better)
    • 1.5" OD
    • <$1k (<$800 even better)
    • <$100 mounts

I used to keep up with this chart, but I'm sure it's dated now.
    It’s hard to answer all of your questions, maybe because of my ADD, but I’ll answer what I can off of the top of my head

Right now, the gold standard for all but precision is Dead Air as you can’t go wrong buying DA anything. However, I have their precision can (the Sandman Ti) and while it’s not as light as others, I love it and shoot good groups with it. The gold standard for precision is Thunderbeast Arms or “TBAC”. An emerging standard for mounting options (I’m probably not getting this exactly right) is the Silencerco thread pattern where you can use Silencerco mounts, DA mounts (vastly superior to SiCo mounts), and even direct thread. Both TBAC and DA meet your criteria for well established companies.

I strongly recommend contacting @Hansohn Brothers for a PF discount. They will very likely best your local dealer even when factoring cost of transfer.
    #RESIST

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    It’s hard to answer all of your questions, maybe because of my ADD, but I’ll answer what I can off of the top of my head

Right now, the gold standard for all but precision is Dead Air as you can’t go wrong buying DA anything. However, I have their precision can (the Sandman Ti) and while it’s not as light as others, I love it and shoot good groups with it. The gold standard for precision is Thunderbeast Arms or “TBAC”. An emerging standard for mounting options (I’m probably not getting this exactly right) is the Silencerco thread pattern where you can use Silencerco mounts, DA mounts (vastly superior to SiCo mounts), and even direct thread. Both TBAC and DA meet your criteria for well established companies.

I strongly recommend contacting @Hansohn Brothers for a PF discount. They will very likely best your local dealer even when factoring cost of transfer.
    Less about my specific "questions" and meant as more of a "current state of" thread as the "Current State of AK" thread has turned into quite a good long-term resource.

The Dead Air Sandman-K does seem to tick a lot of the boxes. I wish the Sandman-S was lighter.

• Hard use cans, the Energetic Vox-S is the clear leader with the YHM Resonator and Dead Air Sandman-K tied for second.
    • Precision: Thunder Beast.
    • Multi-use silencers, the Dead Air Nomad and the SilencerCo Omega are tied for the lead.

One thing I am noticing is with better metering data and education of the consumer. People are realizing that even with a silencer, a 5.56mm AR is not hearing safe. Instead, they are looking at weight, mounting options, and how the silencer fits their specific needs. As Pat would say, "Let the mission drive the gear..."

As always, I'm happy to answer any questions.

Rob, I tried to make my Silencerco Omega work on my PredatAR 762. It was speeding up the bolt carrier and causing malfunctions. I spoke with LaRue who were very helpful. I tried every combo of buffer and spring I could find. Nothing worked. The other option was to get a variable gas block but I’m not willing to go down that path.

They said the only cans LaRue guarantees to work with their rifles are their own Tranquilo and Surefire. I’m close to ordering a Tranquilo. The price is decent and I’ve gotten good feedback from a friend who I trust. My only concern is the weight of the can and if I’ll need to have LaRue swap out the pencil bbl for an OBR bbl.

Taggin in.

I have an AAC 762-SDN6. It’s old tech, but proven. I have 5 mounts. I move it between 2 SBR 5.56, one 16”, and a Savage .308 bolt gun.

It’s decent. A tad heavy on the sbr. But the 51t Mount has some wiggle. Every time I take off the bolt gun and put it back on, I get an inch or two of shift. So I tend to leave it on for an entire hunting trip, which defeats the purpose of being able to swap it around.

I have been looking at CRUX. They have a direct thread muzzle device set up. It’s not super quick, but it’s tool-less, and the ultra fine threads also have a taper at the end of the mount. There is zero wiggle or play when you put it on hand tight. It’s Ti and pretty light. Some models do 9mm, .300wm, .308, .300, 5.56 in on can.

I think I want one of those. My buddy has one, and it is sweet. I got to tour the factory here in houston... seems like a good operation. Anyone have any input on Crux?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    “A gun is a tool, Marian; no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that.” - Shane

Quote Originally Posted by Gadfly View Post
    Anyone have any input on Crux?
    Are they still in business? You might want to give them a call to check.

Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    Less about my specific "questions" and meant as more of a "current state of" thread as the "Current State of AK" thread has turned into quite a good long-term resource.

The Dead Air Sandman-K does seem to tick a lot of the boxes. I wish the Sandman-S was lighter.
    Another vote for the Sandman K. It lives on my 5.56mm BCM 16" middy, and checks all of the boxes for me. I attended the NRAs LE Training Division Tactical Shooting Instructor course at Charleston PDs range a few months ago with this set-up, and was pleased with the weight, balance and decibel reduction. It is a 5 day course, and by day 3, many of the students stated that they preferred to be on my flank, in lieu of guys running carbines with a SF muzzle brake.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

User Tag List