Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Terminal effects of common 5.56 duty loads from a 10.5" barrel?

For most LE shooters using AR15 SBR's with an RDS and typical ammo they are going to be 100 yd guns. Add a 1-6x or 1-8x LPV and good ammo, then we are talking up to maybe 200-300 yds for most shooters given some decent training and ongoing practice.
    Facts matter...Feelings Can Lie

Quote Originally Posted by Jay Cunningham View Post
    200 yards ain’t gonna cut it. Maybe 65/70 yards.

But you may want to reconsider what you mean as “effective” on a 200 yard threat.
    With ball ammo (M193/M855 equivalents) in a 10.5"... yeah, you wont get much fragmentation (effectiveness) past 70 yards. With some of the modern bonded soft points, you should see at least some expansion out to close to 200 yards. Of course, the expansion you do get at 200 wont be the same as what you'd see at 50 or even 100 with the same load/gun. I think I'd feel confident about shots inside 100 showing decent expansion if you pick your ammo carefully. 200 really is probably a stretch with these short guns, ammo performance wise.

My understanding is that the Fusion MSR load is loaded a bit hotter than the standard Fusion stuff, and also a bit hotter than Speer Gold Dot... all of these in 62gr weight. The little bump in velocity should increase the range where you'd see bullets expanding. I believe bullet construction is the same or at least very similar between the Fusion and Gold Dot lines. Worth checking into.

The Fusion/Gold Dot loads have been pretty effective on game for me, though those shots were fired from 16-20" guns.

I also spent the time to find an 11.5" barrel when I started looking into short guns... the bump in velocity isn't huge, but dwell time and reliability both go up, from what I have read.

Been awhile since we used 64 Gold Dot. We've since switched to 62 Federal ETSP.

Anyway, from what I can remember, the Gold Dot stuff chrono'ed around 2,650 from a 14.5" and around 2,550 from an 11.5.

Going off beer saturated memories so please don't hold me to these numbers...

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Tokarev View Post
    the Gold Dot stuff chrono'ed around 2,650 from a 14.5" and around 2,550 from an 11.5.
    Using my velocity of 2,550 fps as posted above we can guesstimate the Gold Dot to expand out to about 250 yards. Not to say that it couldn't or wouldn't be effective beyond that. That's also assuming it will reliably expand at 1,700 fps.

Using my velocity of 2,550 fps as posted above we can guesstimate the Gold Dot to expand out to about 250 yards. Not to say that it couldn't or wouldn't be effective beyond that. That's also assuming it will reliably expand at 1,700 fps.
    Per Speer the expansion threshold is 1800 fps and some testing that I have seen more like 1900-2000 fps.
    Owner Rockey Brass
    www.rockeybrass.com
    Reloading supplies and firearms parts

Quote Originally Posted by Rockey View Post
    Per Speer the expansion threshold is 1800 fps and some testing that I have seen more like 1900-2000 fps.
    200 yards then.

Still probably pretty respectable performance for a general issue LE carbine or AR pistol.

Anyway, from what I can remember, the Gold Dot stuff chrono'ed around 2,650 from a 14.5" and around 2,550 from an 11.5.
    FWIW, the 62 gr. was 2759 FPS out of my Centurion Arms 14.5" with a SureFire SOCOM556-RC, and 2536 FPS out of my Centurion Arms 11.5" with a SureFire SOCOM556-RC2, measured with my MagnetoSpeed. 75 gr. Gold Dot was 2611 FPS and 2471 FPS respectively. Federal Fusion MSR was 2825 FPS out of the 14.5" suppressed, no data for the 11.5".
    Last edited by Default.mp3; 08-18-2019 at 04:18 PM.

200 yards then.

Still probably pretty respectable performance for a general issue LE carbine or AR pistol.

True, but that data is from an 11.5" barrel.

OP was asking about 10.5", and there is a considerable performance difference in that one inch.

Realistically, it is probably a 150 yard load.
    Last edited by Rockey; 08-18-2019 at 04:27 PM.
    Owner Rockey Brass
    www.rockeybrass.com
    Reloading supplies and firearms parts

OP was asking about 10.5", and there is a considerable performance difference in that one inch.
    What is the MV from a 10.5?

Here is a bit of penetration and expansion data:

http://www.activeresponsetraining.ne...ic-gel-testing

Last edited by Tokarev; 08-18-2019 at 04:52 PM.

Site Supporter
    True, but that data is from an 11.5" barrel.

Realistically, it is probably a 150 yard load.
    Hence why everyone is trying to convince him not to go with anything shorter than an 11.5”

User Tag List