Thread: So apparently I can bend my M&P15-22

So apparently I can bend my M&P15-22

I know it's a .22 with plastic receivers, but it's also supposed to have a free-floating barrel and act as a trainer for an AR15. As a general rule I enjoy it and have had good reliability with it. However, in shooting a 25yd B8 with it today I noticed my POI was drastically left. Thinking somehow my optic (Sig Romeo 5) zero must have shifted, I slapped it on the bench and punched 5 rounds through the center of a 1" paster...zero confirmed.

So then I wondered if it was possible I was torquing the gun, and I guess that must be the case.

These are 2" circles on the LTT target, 10 rounds fired standing offhand at 25yds. #9 was fired with a "High Power" target type stance: bladed, chicken wing, rifle just "resting" on the support hand.

#10 was fired with my typical long gun stance and grip. It seems I'm bending the gun left as I'm using support hand grip and rearward pressure into my shoulder. Weird.

Food Court Apprentice
    Semper Paratus certified AR15 armorer

Quote Originally Posted by ASH556 View Post
    I know it's a .22 with plastic receivers, but it's also supposed to have a free-floating barrel and act as a trainer for an AR15. As a general rule I enjoy it and have had good reliability with it. However, in shooting a 25yd B8 with it today I noticed my POI was drastically left. Thinking somehow my optic (Sig Romeo 5) zero must have shifted, I slapped it on the bench and punched 5 rounds through the center of a 1" paster...zero confirmed.

So then I wondered if it was possible I was torquing the gun, and I guess that must be the case.

These are 2" circles on the LTT target, 10 rounds fired standing offhand at 25yds. #9 was fired with a "High Power" target type stance: bladed, chicken wing, rifle just "resting" on the support hand.

#10 was fired with my typical long gun stance and grip. It seems I'm bending the gun left as I'm using support hand grip and rearward pressure into my shoulder. Weird.

Yep, I've noticed it too.

Check out rimfirecentral.com. This is a well known issue. It’s not the receiver flexing, but the plastic hand guard, which then bears on the barrel. Guys have removed it and bolted on a true free float hand guard with good results.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There is a cap on the front of the handguard. This will tie the handguard to the barrel as far as movement goes. You may want to try removing the cap and see if it helps.

FWIW, I was able to shift POI about 6" at 25 yards using an aggressive Appleseed sling technique. I moved my front sight to the barrel and removed the cap and haven't had any problems since.
    • It's not the odds, it's the stakes.
    • If you aren't dry practicing every week, you're not serious.....
    • "Tache-Psyche Effect - a polite way of saying 'You suck.' " - GG

First thing I did was remove that front cap.
    #RESIST

Interesting, I've never heard of this. I would like to put an MCMR or something similar on mine, I just don't want to pay that much for it.

"You may want to try removing the cap and see if it helps."

I didn't do any before-n-after, but mine still shifts zero when you change positions even w/o the cap. Nice little rifles, but not a hi-power trainer IMHE.

User Tag List