Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Pantaloni Eleganti

Quote Originally Posted by Seven_Sicks_Two View Post
    I'm going to break with the group here and suggest spending some money on a nice pair of shoes/boots/chukkas. Good ones can be resoled and will take a beating before ever getting worn out to the point of replacement. They cost a little (okay, well a lot) more up front, but something like Allen Edmonds will last longer than any Clarks, etc. that I've owned.
    I have several pairs that I need to put up for sale here. The last does not even sort of work for me. Buddy swears by them — I acknowledge that I have feet wrongly.
    Ignore Alien Orders

Quote Originally Posted by DocGKR View Post
    Carhartt Rigby--cut off the rear pocket tag, put on a nice shirt, sport coat, and a pair of good shoes...
    Yep. I do this with Dickies too. Cut off the label and they look like chinos or pair of slacks, but they're much longer lasting. Dickies and Carhartt both have modern, tailored fit choices too.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by JAD View Post
    I have several pairs that I need to put up for sale here. The last does not even sort of work for me. Buddy swears by them — I acknowledge that I have feet wrongly.
    I was just using AEs as an example. There’s a whole subculture that nerds out about Goodyear welted shoes and boots the way we do about about guns. I’m far from an expert on the matter, but in my experience a decent pair of traditionally crafted shoes will outlast the more modern options... and look better to boot (I’m sorry, I couldn’t help myself).

Quote Originally Posted by Seven_Sicks_Two View Post
    I was just using AEs as an example. There’s a whole subculture that nerds out about Goodyear welted shoes and boots the way we do about about guns. I’m far from an expert on the matter, but in my experience a decent pair of traditionally crafted shoes will outlast the more modern options... and look better to boot (I’m sorry, I couldn’t help myself).
    Yeah we've had threads about this, and there's a bunch of us here that are big AE fans (I've got 4 pairs myself).

Thing is, you've got to have some commitment to it. Over the long run the cost is lower, but even with their yearly sale you're still putting down 2-4x as much money over a pair of Ecco's on sale or being blown out at DSW. That, and the Ecco's will probably work well at first shot and fit a wider range of feet whereas even if you get fitted by the AE store, there's a good chance you'll have to return them to adjust sizing as AE and other "real" shoes are extremely particular to foot shape. Just look at how many different lasts they have....not just AE, but all of the higher end shoe companies.

The OP doesn't seem like the kind of guy that wants to invest that much attention to it.....it's not a perfect analogy, but it's sort of akin to recommending him a 1911, when what he clearly needs is a Glock.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

For Shoes:
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Facts matter...Feelings Can Lie

Places like Nordstroms carry decent shoes, while more are at Barneys, Nieman Marcus, and Saks. Specialty stores like Stanley Korshak, Sid Mashburn, Cuffs, Rutledges, and the unparalleled Mitchell Stores (Wilkes Bashford, Marios, Mitchells, Richards) will also have an excellent selection, as do the various boutiques from each manufacturer. If you are around Atlanta, these guys have good offerings: https://www.cobbler-union.com.
    Facts matter...Feelings Can Lie

User Tag List