Thread: AAR Lite: HiTS First Responder Pistol - Dallas, June 2019

AAR Lite: HiTS First Responder Pistol - Dallas, June 2019

Announcement thread here: https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....une-29-30-2019
    @Dagga Boy, @Wayne Dobbs, @SeriousStudent

With apologies for the delay, I wanted to add some follow-up feedback on the HiTS First Responder Pistol class in the link above. Rather than an exhaustive traditional AAR format here are the cliff notes with what I think is most pertinent or things people seem to want to know. I’m happy to flesh out any finer points here or via PM if anyone is interested.

BLUF: This is a well done example of a 2-day handgun course that covers common tasks, applies high standards, in a practical context of skill application at an excellent value. Will recommend.

• Enrollment was painless, and pre-course comms provided necessary information.
    • This is not a shooting course, but more a practical application of shooting skills. I believe the term used was “force application course”, which is also accurate.
    • Class is gun and gear-neutral, IWB/AIWB/OWB and reliable guns are viable if you’re safe.
    • The safety agreement that students sign is one of the simpler and better I’ve seen.
    • Wayne and Darryl are known for their safety brief in this class, which was pretty darn good. I had wondered what this would actually be. I would describe it as a thorough look at how to live with, handle, and fight with handguns framed within the traditional four safety rules.
    • They pretty exhaustively explained the “why” of their methods, sometimes with a hearty war story, but nothing went without foundation and explanation. Much of the info and discussion is sourced or framed in a LE context but translated pretty well back to regular folks for application.
    • Shooting tasks were instructed, demonstrated, student performed, and debriefed.
    • Shooting is at a controlled pace, advocating “shooting at assessment speed.”
    • Range exercises are all shot to B8 bullseyes on USPSA cardboard. You’re accountable for hits, and targets are changed or negative taped at good intervals.
    • Content includes but is not limited to slide lock reloads, reloads with retention, drawing from the holster, malfunction clearances, ready positions, some limited retention shooting, and two flashlight techniques. One-handed shooting was taught in context of flashlight use.
    • Popular drills included the Test, half-Test, Wizard, 2-second standards, LAPD SWAT qual.
    • Core essentials of justifiable deadly force were covered with heavy advocacy of avoidance, and threaded throughout the material.
    • Range and gun handling SOPs during dry practice and live fire were clear and command driven, but without a “mother may I” feel.
    • Class was family-friendly, including language and humor.
    • Break/lunch/comfort periods were good.
    • Safety planning was good.
    • Facilities at the Dallas Pistol Club are excellent.
    • Class times were 8-4 on Saturday and 9-5 on Sunday. Full, quality days.
    • Students were great. No clowns. No “that guy.”
    • Classroom sessions were discussion oriented and interactive, no exhaustive lectures, and no powerpoint.
    • A course completion certificate is provided. It specifies 16 hours of training, for those needing CEUs.
    • I used my EDC gear exactly as I wear it, and only sub'ed in my G45 range gun for the usual 19X. BHA 115 FMJ for ammo. AIWB holster. ~350 rounds fired, no problems. No special range equipment or adaptations of my norms required.
    • Of the many 2-day open enrollment handgun products out there this is a leader, and a bargain at $350.

Not specific to class, the Dallas crew (and you Texans in general) continue to set a high bar for hospitality and personality. It was good to meet several PF’ers in person. And for those of you I didn’t connect the dots on until driving away, I’ll catch you next trip. Thanks all for a great time.
    Last edited by ST911; 08-08-2019 at 10:14 PM.
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

It's a great class. One of the best 2 day practical defensive pistol classes out there. But I might be a bit biased
    Last edited by Ed L; 08-08-2019 at 09:59 PM.

Site Supporter
    This is completely aligned with my experience last year. High quality instruction, and a worthwhile experience.

Ain't no better fightn training than HiTS........Always leave there with more confidence than I arrived with...CYA Mike
    The Thin Blue Line is TOO Thin........Thug Life Must End

Thanks for all the kind words. It isn’t fancy, but we believe in what we do.
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.
    "If I had a grandpa, he would look like Delbert Belton".

Don't sell yourselves short. I would say that it is a pretty comprehensive course, and most of the people who have taken it agree.

Here is an article that I wrote about the class that appeared in SWAT Magazine that is available online: https://www.swatmag.com/article/firs...-pistol-class/

In other news that may warrant a topic of its own, SWAT Magazine has completely ceased publication after 37 years. It's last print edition was the March 2019 issue. It was going to go to an all online format. A few articles new were printed, but now it is completely gone. The website still remains for now.

Quote Originally Posted by Ed L View Post
    Here is an article that I wrote about the class that appeared in SWAT Magazine that is available online: https://www.swatmag.com/article/firs...-pistol-class/

In other news that may warrant a topic of its own, SWAT Magazine has completely ceased publication after 37 years. It's last print edition was the March 2019 issue. It was going to go to an all online format. A few articles new were printed, but now it is completely gone. The website still remains for now.
    Man, I'm sorry to hear that, used to read that mag a lot back in the day.

Quote Originally Posted by Ed L View Post

Great Review!
    Sucks to hear about the magazine, it was a ready room staple back in the day. You and Pat Rogers were my two favorites.
    "And for a regular dude I’m maybe okay...but what I learned is if there’s a door, I’m going out it not in it"-Duke
    "Just because a girl sleeps with her brother doesn't mean she's easy..."-Blues

@ST911, great AAR, this class is on my to do list, just have to get the stars to align with my work schedule
    "And for a regular dude I’m maybe okay...but what I learned is if there’s a door, I’m going out it not in it"-Duke
    "Just because a girl sleeps with her brother doesn't mean she's easy..."-Blues

User Tag List