Thread: Hornaday CD 110 Gr. FTX

Hornaday CD 110 Gr. FTX

In the stickied M1 Carbine thread up-page, @DocGKR says Hornaday's 90 grain FTX Critical Defense round has insufficient penetration. How about their 110 grain round? (Which is in stock locally...)

TIA.
    Recovering Gun Store Commando. My Blog: The Clue Meter
    “It doesn’t matter what the problem is, the solution is always for us to give the government more money and power, while we eat less meat.”
    Glenn Reynolds

I wasn't aware that Hornaday ever made any 90 grain ammo for the M1 Carbine, until I re-read DOCGKR's sticky and found mention of it. It is no longer listed as being made.

The Hornaday 110 grain load FTX looks like it would be a great load. It has a hollowpoint with a plastic insert to give it a FMJ-like profile to insure better feeding.

One problem that I have had with several surplus GI carbines was getting them to function reliably with soft points or hollow points. I had to expend a lot of ammo testing in multiple magazines without the getting the type of reliability that I would be comfortable with. Since I have better guns to rely on for home defense, this never became an issue. But if I did decide I was going to use the M-1 Carbine for defensive purposes, I would definitely check out this ammo.

https://www.hornady.com/ammunition/r...cal-defense#!/

M1 Carbine is short enough and light enough that my 5'0" wife with arthritis can manipulate it easier than an AR15.
    “It doesn’t matter what the problem is, the solution is always for us to give the government more money and power, while we eat less meat.”
    Glenn Reynolds

Hmmm.
    Ammoland: How Underpowered is the 30 Carbine ? : Ballistic Gel Test
    Read more: https://www.ammoland.com/2018/03/30-...#ixzz5w5D2akOS
    Under Creative Commons License: Attribution
    Follow us: @Ammoland on Twitter | Ammoland on Facebook

I fired the FTX into an eighteen-inch block backed by one nine-inch block shielded by four layers of denim. Upon close inspection, I couldn’t find the projectile, but noted massive damage just inside the entrance wound measuring 1 ¼ inch in diameter before the track settles down at the nine-inch mark. Bits of the polymer tip were embedded in the second block and the projectile was found on the ground. It had enough energy to get through one block, but not into the second. Total penetration—18 inches on the nose. The projectile was mushroomed handsomely with its original .308-inch diameter now expanding to .525.
    Glenn Reynolds

Quote Originally Posted by Drang View Post
    M1 Carbine is short enough and light enough that my 5'0" wife with arthritis can manipulate it easier than an AR15.
    I think the M-1 Carbine would be a perfect gun in that regard. They are light, handy, easy to use and fun to shoot. Given the limitations of the situation, even if you had to use FMJ it would be a good choice. But I would think the Hornady FTX would function. But you would definitely want to try it with a few magazines worth to insure reliability.

User Tag List