Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Springfield MO/ active shooter threat, detains man with oarmor, rifle & over 100 rds

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    Really bad things could have ensued from what this moron did. Much worse than yelling "fire" in a theater.

He deserves to be made an example of. Cooler heads will have to determine the appropriate penalty.
    Well said.

I am not sure that the necessary intent for terroristic threatening can be shown, but this fool went way past the line for disorderly conduct.

These “advocate educators” are going to do exactly what happened in California...get open carry made illegal with massive support from both the public and law enforcement in harmony on the politics. At this point, no politician no matter what their NRA rating will be supporting the “right” to walk into Walmart or a mall, or house of worship with an AK or AR variant. File this under “this is why can’t have nice things”. At this point, I don’t want to have to make some big decision whether to drop an idiot walking into the mall or movie theater with an AK. When you abuse rights, you lose them.
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.
    "If I had a grandpa, he would look like Delbert Belton".

"On the other hand, open carry laws being what they are in Missouri he was within the law."

If he open carried a pistol in a holster, I'd be fine with it.

If he open carried a slung rifle, I's say he was an idjit but legal.

But body armor, spare mags, etc? While shopping at a Walmart, as opposed to guarding the neighborhood post earthquake/riot/hurricane?

I think that's a bridge too far. It's like walking into a bank wearing a ski mask in August; you're not doing that to keep your ears warm. Reasonable people will probably draw the wrong inference, and a reasonable person would realize that people will draw the wrong inference.

(I will confess my own open-carry-with-a-rifle story: I turned 14 or so in the late 60's or thereabouts. My parents thought I was old enough for a 22 rifle, and got me one for Christmas. On the day after Xmas a friend called and said his family was going to the Rod-n-Gun. I put a box of shells in my pocket and headed over to their place, a couple of miles crosstown. I didn't have a case, so I just stuck the rifle in the crook of my arm. The route there crossed a big (5 acre?) elementary school grounds, on the diagonal. As I got to the street across from the school a patrol car pulled up, stopping of course to yield to the pedestrian. I walked across the front of the car onto the school grounds. The officer, correctly reading the situation as 'kid is going to sight in his Xmas present' gave me a big grin. Context matters.)

Quote Originally Posted by HCountyGuy View Post
    Eeeeeehhhhh...not sure I’m on board with the whole “make him a felon” over this. Looking up Missouri’s statute regarding terroristic threats it seems to be an appropriate charge. On the other hand, open carry laws being what they are in Missouri he was within the law.

Was this monumentally stupid? Absolutely

Does he deserve a significant peepee slap for it? You betcha

Make him a felon for it? Eeeeehhh I’m not inclined to push it that far.

This kinda spills over in to the “what he was doing (open carry) may have been legal, but I don’t like it so he should be arrested law be damned” nonsense.

Yes I understand the terroristic threat charge in relation to his stupid behavior causing a panic and evacuation. But if blatant stupidity were a felony there’d be nobody to guard the gates.
    He can now exercise his rights by hiring the best attorney he can afford. Chances are it will get reduced, but if not, he called the tune.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

*s*i*g*h*
    Police investigating alleged gunman at Federal Way Walmart | Federal Way Mirror
    ...FWPD Comdr. Chris Norman said after reviewing security footage, they believe the suspect may have been looking at ammunition for a BB gun at the business, however they have not been able to confirm this yet.

Norman said the suspect apparently told Walmart security it was a BB gun after they began following him around the store.

When security told the suspect they were calling 911, the suspect allegedly encouraged them to and said he would shoot the police, Norman said.

While police are still investigating this incident, they do not believe it is an iminent threat, Norman said. It is possible the suspect was making a flippant comment rather than an actual threat. ...
    Recovering Gun Store Commando. My Blog: The Clue Meter
    “It doesn’t matter what the problem is, the solution is always for us to give the government more money and power, while we eat less meat.”
    Glenn Reynolds

Does anyone think this guy build rockets as his day job?
    In a sort of ghastly simplicity we remove the organ and demand the function. We make men without chests and expect of them virtue and enterprise. We laugh at honour and are shocked to find traitors in our midst. We castrate and bid the geldings be fruitful.” ― C.S. Lewis, The Abolition of Man

It seems likely he was a stupid poseur either "making a statement" or trying to get attention.

So far, I've seen no indication of how it was subsequently known that he had "100 rounds of ammunition" or a handgun.

Wearing fatigues and body armor isn't illegal, of course, nor should such dress be made illegal, but he has to have understood that in view of the recent multiple killings by nutbags, he'd be frightening people near him in the store.

Disturbing the peace or being a "public nuisance" would probably be appropriate charges, since there's no formal code violation for being a dumbass.

I'm decidedly against "open carry" and always have been so, but it's show-off activities like this that will get lawmakers who are incapable of rational thought to make the practice illegal.
    Last edited by SAWBONES; 08-09-2019 at 02:59 PM.
    "Therefore, since the world has still... Much good, but much less good than ill,
    And while the sun and moon endure, Luck's a chance, but trouble's sure,
    I'd face it as a wise man would, And train for ill and not for good." -- A.E. Housman

"Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

So...when do we ban Wal-Marts?

I reckon that could solve some significant issues in many areas.
    “Conspiracy theories are just spoiler alerts these days.”

Site Supporter
    For better or worse, more proof that mental health is a concern.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Any legal information I may post is general information, and is not legal advice. Such information may or may not apply to your specific situation. I am not your attorney unless an attorney-client relationship is separately and privately established.

User Tag List