Thread: Smith and Wesson 640 Carry Comp

Smith and Wesson 640 Carry Comp

So the 640 carry comp with the power port. I am interested in how it does with the hot loaded Buffalo Bore 38 +p 158 LSWCHP, which I find very unpleasant and very flippy in other j-frames.

Anyone have experience on how the 640's 23oz plus power port soaks up the muzzle flip? I know physics is physics and the recoil wil be there, but will the BB +p have enough oomph to get benefit from the power port and really cut the flip?

I love the power port guns. They are effective at taking the sting out of many loads, yet are not annoyingly blasts like many of the small hole high velocity ported guns.
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.
    "If I had a grandpa, he would look like Delbert Belton".

Quote Originally Posted by Dagga Boy View Post
    I love the power port guns. They are effective at taking the sting out of many loads, yet are not annoyingly blasts like many of the small hole high velocity ported guns.
    Yeah, I am split right now between the 19 carry comp and the 640 carry comp. There is a 10oz difference, but at 23/24oz the 640 is still a belt gun anyway. The 19 also gets you an extra round over the 640, K-frame holsters are available for AIWB and the extra weight of the 19 would also soak up some recoil.

EDIT: After typing that maybe I'm not as split as I thought...

There are screaming deals on the 19 carry comp on gun broker right now. I have a 327 PC snub that I really like, but the N-frame cylinder means IWB is marginal and the light weight means 357 is really a no go, at least for me. I feel like I am willing to give up the extra two rounds for some mass, ported recoil reduction and better holster availability. Plus, I was holding the 19 CC at my local GS and it just felt so nice....
    Last edited by Speederlander; 08-09-2019 at 12:44 AM.

This is the 327 (bit dirty):

Name:  20190805_115255 crop.jpg
Views: 867
Size:  27.5 KB

Name:  20190805_115714 crop.jpg
Views: 749
Size:  21.3 KB

Site Supporter
    Anybody try the power port vs mag na port?

Quote Originally Posted by Poconnor View Post
    Anybody try the power port vs mag na port?
    Not on the same guns. I have found the Magna Port to be great for high velocity big bore Magnums. You just don’t want to be around them as those gasses are getting driven hard through those small ports to control muzzle rise. I find the power ports on my k and j frames makes +P .38 easy to shoot and doesn’t have the same noise and high velocity gas escaping.
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.
    "If I had a grandpa, he would look like Delbert Belton".

Site Supporter
    Thanks, I have been searching for used power ports with no luck so I contemplated the magnaport

Magnaport is purty loud if yer gonna ever fire it without ear protection. To my ears, way louder than a centerfire rifle. I had a 629 magnaported, shot a couple pigs I came across while not wearing ear pro, ears rang for weeks. Sold gun immediately.

But people's ears have different sensitivities. Yours may be less sensitive.

I haven't tried the S&W power porting but if Dagga Boy says it's quieter, I believe it.

User Tag List