Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Stop that shit! Life, liberty and the pursuit of our rights

The editors of National Review have come out with an excellent article explaining how universal background checks are bad. Worth a read

https://www.nationalreview.com/2019/...ground-checks/

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Quote Originally Posted by Suvorov View Post
    It reminds me of this quote (quite ironically) made by Lyndon B Johnson -
    Along those lines...

The right amount of power for government to have is the amount that you would want it to have if the other side was fully in control.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Quote Originally Posted by Robinson View Post
    What's your plan? If it involves pulling triggers don't bother responding.
    I don't have a plan but rest assured my path is focused on information, not pulling triggers.

Site Supporter
    With regards to liberal thinking birthing the Declaration, there is a big difference between classical liberalism and the crackpot crap called liberalism today.

Beat me to it!

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    It occurred to me in another context that when we are trying to engage with someone who sees the world in a significantly different way than we do, it may be useful to frame the conversation around the idea of trying to pass their Turing test.

Of course, if all they want to engage with is a mirror that tells them they are the fairest of them all, there is no Turing test to pass.

I'm going to have to think about where this goes.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Site Supporter
    There are over 20 people attempting to gain a path to the presidency by running a platform of trashing the 1st, 2nd, 4th amendment. Astonishing that people eat this crap up because "DO SOMETHING!"

Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    It occurred to me in another context that when we are trying to engage with someone who sees the world in a significantly different way than we do, it may be useful to frame the conversation around the idea of trying to pass their Turing test.

Of course, if all they want to engage with is a mirror that tells them they are the fairest of them all, there is no Turing test to pass.

I'm going to have to think about where this goes.
    It's hard to make decision without knowledge. In that case, one has to trust feelings, and feelings lie.
    Eg, most Taurus handguns are bought by people with limited firearms knowledge, so they go on what "looks cool" and doesn't cost a lot.

In this case, most people don't have a knowledge of historical context. To them, history basically started at their birth, and anything before that is old, superseded, obsolescent, and fairly irrelevant.
    Any lessons are thus to be ignored.
    Which is utterly foolish. Human nature hasn't changed.
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

Quote Originally Posted by Joe in PNG View Post
    In this case, most people don't have a knowledge of historical context. To them, history basically started at their birth, and anything before that is old, superseded, obsolescent, and fairly irrelevant.
    Any lessons are thus to be ignored.
    Which is utterly foolish. Human nature hasn't changed.
    That last sentence, "Human nature hasn't changed", is the crux of the argument when it comes to the Constitution and our Rights. The framers of the Constitution were highly learned men who studied history and understood human nature.

"If men were angels, no government would be necessary. If angels were to govern men, neither external nor internal controls on government would be necessary. In framing a government which is to be administered by men over men, the great difficulty lies in this: you must first enable the government to control the governed; and in the next place oblige it to control itself."--Alexander Hamilton

The framers incorporated the wisdom of the ages, took from the ancient Greeks & Romans, thousands of years of human interaction boiled down into one document establishing rules for our Republic. The one constant throughout time has been human nature. To suggest that the passing of ~250 years have rendered the document obsolete is pure poppycock.

The framers knew precisely the consequence of human nature. e.g. As Benjamin Franklin departed the Constitutional Convention, he was asked if the framers had created a monarchy or a republic. "A republic," he famously replied, and then added, "if you can keep it."

Looks like their will indeed be a major push to rush in these new background checks and red flag laws

https://www.getzone.com/news-mcconne...19.08.10_Henry

"
    Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell said Thursday that strengthening background checks and red flag laws will “lead the discussion” on addressing gun violence in the wake of two mass shootings that left at least 31 people dead.

McConnell’s remarks on a Kentucky news radio show follow a conversation he had Thursday morning with President Donald Trump, who has called for revisiting stricter background checks for gun buyers as well as red flag laws, which allows authorities to limit a person’s access to guns if they pose an imminent threat to others.

“The president called me this morning about this, he’s anxious to get an outcome. So am I,” said McConnell, who added that he spoke to Trump about starting staff-level discussions about reforming the nation’s gun laws in preparation for the Senate’s return from recess in September.

During the radio show, McConnell reiterated his call for Democrats and Republicans to come up with a bipartisan legislative solution. He described red flag laws and expanding background checks as “two items that for sure will be front and center.”

On Thursday, Speaker Nancy Pelosi also called on Trump to bring the Senate back from recess to consider gun control legislation the House passed earlier this year, citing a section in the Constitution that allows a president to convene the Senate or House. McConnell has resisted calls to bring the Senate back.

“If we did that we’d just have people scoring points and nothing would happen,” McConnell said. “There has to be a bipartisan discussion here of what we can agree on. If we do it prematurely it will just be another frustrating experience for all of us and for the public.”
    Several Republican senators have come out in favor of red flag laws following the shootings in El Paso, Texas and Dayton, Ohio. Sen. Lindsey Graham (R-S.C.) said Monday that he was working on such a bill with Sen. Richard Blumenthal (D-Conn.). Sen. Marco Rubio (R-Fla.) also has his own red flag bill that he introduced earlier this year.

Trump’s public support for stricter background checks has given new life to legislation from Sens. Joe Manchin (D-W.Va.) and Pat Toomey (R-Pa.) that would expand background checks to all commercial gun sales. But most Republicans have historically resisted that idea, and the proposal has failed twice in the Senate. McConnell was among the Senators who voted against it.
    “It’s always a challenge making federal legislation because we do have a lot of differences in our country over an issue like this,” McConnell said.

McConnell also addressed the recent controversy surrounding his campaign’s Twitter account, which Twitter shut down after it posted a video of protesters yelling threats outside the majority leader’s Kentucky home. McConnell accused Twitter of political bias, noting that the social media site allowed the hashtag #MassacreMitch to trend nationally on the platform after the weekend massacres.
    “Twitter is perfectly fine with carrying ‘Massacre Mitch’ which is obviously an invitation to violence but when those kinds of words are directed at me they shut us down, locked our account down,” McConnell said. “So we’re in a major war with them and they haven’t given up yet.”
    "
    Last edited by Thy.Will.Be.Done; 08-11-2019 at 09:26 AM.

Glock Collective Assimile Suvorov's Avatar
    Escapee from the SF Bay Area now living on the Front Range of Colorado.
    The simple thing that is just boggling my mind is this - They are pushing for universal background checks and yet nearly every single one of these murdering turds purchased the gun from an FFL and passed the background check. If this related to a limiting the rights of those the Left hold sacred - there would be no shortage of journalists and pundants pointing to this obvious incongruity.

It really makes me think the ones calling for these laws have ulterior motives because it really is hard for me to grasp that level of stupidity.
    Last edited by Suvorov; 08-11-2019 at 10:15 AM.

User Tag List