Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Beretta 92FS fixed front sight painting

Thanks, guys!

Also, I already use a Wilson rear sight. Way ahead of you.

But I think I'll try some automotive paint, and dab it on with the toothpick, as was suggested earlier. You guys are awesome.

What I think I'm gonna do, is actually only paint the dot, and leave the black outline, because I like how the black contrasts against bright backgrounds, but the white/orange will be easier to see against blacks/greys/etc.

On the Beretta forum, one recommendation I am planning on trying, is put black paint on the front of my stainless slide, then a white dot, that I will then put orange (Testor's fluorescent) on.

Exactly what I do. All one has to do is sight on various objects around your work area. Something white and something dark to see how it works out.

Banned
    holding the head of Perseus in my support hand
    Quote Originally Posted by beenalongtime View Post
    On the Beretta forum, one recommendation I am planning on trying, is put black paint on the front of my stainless slide, then a white dot, that I will then put orange (Testor's fluorescent) on.
    I’d like to see a pic, if you’re willing, when you’ve done this.

ive been using nail polish for several years. My daily carry is pocket carried. I remove and redo the paint as needed, maybe every 9 months or so as the top corners wear or chip. Nail polish comes off very easily with acetone (nail polish remover). I degrease with the acetone before applying the polish. Walmart had small bottles of acetone in the nail polish section for a buck or two.

The brightest ive found is Salon Perfect Traffic Cone over a white base coat. I only do one top coat, i want the white base coat to have best effect of brightening the orange. I havent seen any down side to only on coat, if it chips, it generally goes to blued steel.

I do my carbine sights also, I do a daily skunk patrol around my place at dusk and am still amazed at how well the nail polish shows up in poor light. Plain iron sights pretty well disappear at dusk. The fiber optic sights ive seen go dark and useless long before the orange painted ones do. I have no idea why people go to as much expense and trouble as they do to get fiber optic sights installed, they just dont seem all that spectacular to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Malamute View Post
    ive been using nail polish for several years. My daily carry is pocket carried. I remove and redo the paint as needed, maybe every 9 months or so as the top corners wear or chip. Nail polish comes off very easily with acetone (nail polish remover). I degrease with the acetone before applying the polish. Walmart had small bottles of acetone in the nail polish section for a buck or two.

The brightest ive found is Salon Perfect Traffic Cone over a white base coat. I only do one top coat, i want the white base coat to have best effect of brightening the orange. I havent seen any down side to only on coat, if it chips, it generally goes to blued steel.

I do my carbine sights also, I do a daily skunk patrol around my place at dusk and am still amazed at how well the nail polish shows up in poor light. Plain iron sights pretty well disappear at dusk. The fiber optic sights ive seen go dark and useless long before the orange painted ones do. I have no idea why people go to as much expense and trouble as they do to get fiber optic sights installed, they just dont seem all that spectacular to me.
    Red fiber or green fiber?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Red.

If green is better, Id be interested to see it side by side with the bright orange polish, but even if comparable, that doesnt negate the potential fragility of fiber optics that many mention breaking. The polish goes on most things pretty much without issue or cost.

I have painted many M&P factory fron sights. I clean the front sight first with alcohol. Then use Testers model paint, neon orange. I apply the paint using model paint brushes. They are super tiny and get the drops of paint neatly in the front sight recess. The paint has held up for years. I will get a picture on my M2.0 5 inch 9mm and post it.

Beretta 92FS fixed front sight painting

Quote Originally Posted by Malamute View Post
    Red.

If green is better, Id be interested to see it side by side with the bright orange polish, but even if comparable, that doesnt negate the potential fragility of fiber optics that many mention breaking. The polish goes on most things pretty much without issue or cost.
    I’m a HUGE fan of green fiber. One such benefit, to my eyes, is that it disappears in low light later than red. I’ve also not experienced any such fragility so long as I install the fiber correctly. Huge fan of fiber optic front, blacked out rear, and serrations on both.

I’ve also found, again with my eyes, that if it’s too dark to see my sights I generally have a really hard time PIDing a threat. I then employ a light source which allows me to see my sights and the target.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by spinmove_; 08-09-2019 at 01:05 PM.

Site Supporter
    I did two sights with https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B007KMUM9U?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_mob_b_asin_title and a paintbrush from Michael’s craft store; my Dan Wesson Valor had a dimple where a white ring surrounds the tritium. I used the finest paint brush I could find and hand painted the white to make an orange dot. This turned out almost perfect. The P229 night sights have a clear layer overlaying this divot that I painted over top of. Looks way more janky than the Valor (which looks factory). But both are usable and I like the poor man’s HD sights more than painting the whole blade orange which I did for multiple years prior. You can get away with a little target fixation up close as the orange dot still shows up in the foreground. The rnds will hit right under the dot up to 13-15 yds for me. Farther than that and I transition to the top of the blade for POI.
    Name:  76B26750-78EA-4B5A-999A-346FBA178BA0.jpg
Views: 1429
Size:  33.3 KB
    Name:  FC5BE5BB-6579-4EA7-945A-18A87072E962.jpg
Views: 1470
Size:  35.0 KB
    Last edited by TOTS; 08-09-2019 at 04:30 PM.

User Tag List