Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Standards; How Do You Know You Are Competent

evaluating competency is contingent on what skill set you are evaluating. Accuracy, completion time, and other skills that can be scored have standard by which a person can be evaluated. However, the only way to evaluate competency when there is no way to gauge success other than pass/fail is a whole different story. CQB and H2H skills can only be proven in a real world situation.For the 4 years I was in USMC Security Force Battalion we trained regularly in every aspect of providing security to VIP people and places. That training is invaluable, but it does not indicate how well you will do in a real life situation. the words innovate and improvise were drilled. into our heads because that is what you have to do in a SHTF situation. From personal experience I can assure you that training and testing matter but they do not prove competency level.That level has to be evaluated after the action. That is what After Action Reports are for. What did you do right or wrong and how do you improve from the experience. Believe me, the best thing that can happen is that you never have to test your training, but if you do have to you will have a damn good idea of your competency level, if you live. I will end it here. The rest would be 'war stories.'

Quote Originally Posted by Les Pepperoni View Post
    It's called: "Get married then have kids"...

That's a helluva mental toughness test...

Ask me how I know... Lemme just finish this drink first.
    Speaking just for myself, and my experience the example above falls into the category of:

Don't do stupid things

With stupid people

In stupid places

User Tag List