Page 45 of 53 FirstFirst ... 354344454647 ... LastLast

Thread: The 43X/48 and 365/365XL are EDC game changers

Quote Originally Posted by Mike C View Post
    You need to shoot one with an Agency Arms 417C comp. Completely different animal. Not any bigger than a 48 and a whole lot flatter shooting. I've been meaning to post some of my thoughts and findings on the G43X vs compensated vs G48 and just haven't gotten around to it. Really, I've been hoping to get my slides finished by Maple Leaf and receive my RMSw & RMSc from Shield before I started a thread about it, (I just barely got my RMSw after a fairly long wait but I think it was worth it as I managed to get a glass lens). Either way I think you might like it, I'm sure you'd be able to wring out a little more performance with a compensated variation than I can.
    Hmm, so you prefer the recoil impulse of the G43x with comp?

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    I find the 43X less comfortable to shoot than a full size pistol, but more comfortable than most “small” pistols. I find the 43X much easier to conceal than a full size, so it is a worthwhile trade off for my needs.
    I agree it is easier to conceal, especially AIWB.

I have found that I am more comfortable and better concealed at 4:00'ish and for me the G19 conceals almost as good and doesn't seem to draw a much attention as AIWB on my narrow ass.

Even when you can't tell it is a gun at my waist, it looks like something is wrong with me and it draws even more attention to me and I don't need any more attention than I already get.

People I am friends with say I am "approachable". For instance when I wear that Punisher shirt my brother got me. Someone came up to me and said: "You're the skinniest Punisher I have ever seen." I don't know if that was a compliment or an insult. Weekend before last someone came up to me and asked "How are things at the Terrordrome?" After a confused couple of seconds I remembered that I was wearing my Cobra shirt (also from my brother) and commenced to discussing 1980's GI JOE toys. My wife thinks it is very funny.

Being that random people just walk up to me and start conversations/small children wander up and grab my hand or climb up in my lap at restaurants, I don't need anything else grabbing peoples attention.

@kitten_frenzy, in short yes. My preference is the G43X comped > G43X > G48 as far as sight tracking. Comfort is another story though. The G43X with comp allows me to track the sights better under recoil and reduces the impulse just a bit, (enough so to make it more comfortable to shoot for extended sessions). I can get through a 400-450 round session with a G43X that is comped vs 2-250 round session with an uncompensated 43X. Trying to do extended sessions with the 43X causes tendonitis/shooters elbow to flare up, I also end up with discomfort in my forearms, hands and wrists without the comp attached when running round counts past 250. With the G48 I can get through a 300-350 round session and feel about the same as running 4-450 with a comped 43X. So comfort wise I find the G43X comped > G48 > G43X. The G43X comped is something in between the 43X and 48. I like the slide speed and flatness of the 43X as it tracks in recoil but like it even more with the comp attached so long as you're using ammo hot enough to activate the comp. It's a really interesting concept, the Roland Special or whatever you want to call it.

ETA:

FWIW I still mostly use the G48 as the training gun, the 43X gets carried a lot but I also still carry the G48 a fair bit. I have played on and off with stainless steel guide rods and the comps and combinations there of. I don't think that there is enough of a performance gain to make it worth carrying a 43X with a comp on it or with any other major modifications. Statistically the differences I have been able to track in performance gains are mostly with split times and more A's. A percentages increase when shooting faster splits at greater distances, (inside the .2-.25 split range that I was working in). There is definitely a difference in comfort with the comp but I mostly tend to carry what I shoot and shoot what I carry so these things have been a fun pursuit in seeing what the differences are but thats about it. Sorry if this got into the weeds but I've really been messing with these for months and trying things out to see at what point the guns become finicky due to modification, how well they shoot, if they can be run as hard as the full sized brethren etc.
    Last edited by Mike C; 02-15-2020 at 10:31 PM.

So far, if they still prove reliable, then I really dig the 8lb oem connector with wolff 5lb striker spring, reduce power safety plunger spring and the Vicker's flat face trigger shoe on my G42,43,48. The new 8lb connectors in my 42 and 48 feel a little heavier than my g43 that originally came with the 8lb connector. I have a lot of dry fire and more rounds on the g43 though, so they feel like they will be the same when I get them all broke in.

And I forgot that my G43 trigger bar started chipping the finish off where it pushes up the safety plunger. I saw it awhile a go but said screw it and used the bar as is. I wonder if that is why it has the magical unicorn glock trigger?

You need to shoot one with an Agency Arms 417C comp. Completely different animal. Not any bigger than a 48 and a whole lot flatter shooting. I've been meaning to post some of my thoughts and findings on the G43X vs compensated vs G48 and just haven't gotten around to it. Really, I've been hoping to get my slides finished by Maple Leaf and receive my RMSw & RMSc from Shield before I started a thread about it, (I just barely got my RMSw after a fairly long wait but I think it was worth it as I managed to get a glass lens). Either way I think you might like it, I'm sure you'd be able to wring out a little more performance with a compensated variation than I can.
    How is the reliability on the comped 43X? Did you have to mess with any springs?

How is the muzzle rise compared to a stock glock 26?

Quote Originally Posted by Speederlander View Post
    How is the reliability on the comped 43X? Did you have to mess with any springs?

How is the muzzle rise compared to a stock glock 26?
    Only spring modification was a Wolff 5lbs striker spring at the time I had no issues. I will have to look at my logs but I don't recall any reliability issues until I messed with stainless guide rods. I had one spin apart which has freaked me out a bit with after market guide rods. With just the comp and everything stock minus the striker spring the gun ran very, very well with 124gr Nato, 147gr HST's and +P variant, 124 HST +P, Gold Dot 124gr +P. For training ammo the gun really seemed to like 124gr Fiocchi IIRC. I of course shot lots of my reloads 124gr RMR Multipurpose Hollow Points. The gun shot flat and soft it was/is a real pleasure to shoot in this configuration. Oh I also shot the Griffen Armament mini comp. I would stick with the Agency Arms one unless you find a way to ensure indexing of the comp. The recoil impulse was weird as well as some drifting on my groups that I didn't experience with the Agency Arms comp. I think it has to do with the way the ports are cut and how it indexed on my barrel. I also didn't notice as much of a difference with the Griffen Armament comp vs the two port Agency comp.

I couldn't tell you how it compares to a 26 because it's been some time since I've shot one. Sorry. If you have some more specific questions just shoot me a PM and I can look through my notes and try to find anything that might be helpful to you if you're interested in taking the concept further.
    Last edited by Mike C; 02-15-2020 at 10:46 PM.

I'm seriously starting to hate my G48.

Another range session with the G48 today. The Talon Grips made a significant difference...many thanks to those who recommended. For whatever reason, I just can't seem to shoot this gun 'well' (understatement; I suck with this thing). Very frustrating that I'm unable to see what other people (who's opinion I very much respect) are seeing.

Shot the G48 back-to-back with two Gen3 G19s and my G43. With either G19 I was able to print substantially better groups. While others here have stated the G43X/G48 shoot closer to a G19, I find myself marginally bettering my G43 scores with the G48. I also tend to ride the slide release and had 2x failures to lock the slide back after the last shot.

The G48 is a slimmer G19, it should shoot closer to a G19, and that's what most of the feedback says, but...not for me.

The G43 conceals slightly better and shoots comparably for me. AIWB-ing the G19 takes a bit more work but rewards with marked confidence.

On top of that, I'm having a hard time finding a load that prints POA/POI with the recommended 10-8 Performance sights. Federal HST 147 hits >4" high, Gold Dot 124+P and Federal HST 124+P hit low/right. I've never seen that much of a difference in any of my other Glocks.

Not sure if I got a turd, but approaching 800 rnds down-the-tube, I can't remember the last time I had this much frustration with a gun.

This one may end up occupying a very dark corner at the bottom of the safe...

-Rainman

rainman, I have used quite a bit of Gold Dot and HST in 124+P as well as 147 over the years and never saw a 6" height difference in them shooting at 25 yards.

Quote Originally Posted by JBP55 View Post
    rainman, I have used quite a bit of Gold Dot and HST in 124+P as well as 147 over the years and never saw a 6" height difference in them shooting at 25 yards.
    Agreed, the 147gr HST and 124gr +P Gold Dot shoot relatively close as you've mentioned, at least in my experience (one just tends to strike a bit more left than the other). As a side note this has not been my experience with the G2 I've tried. I've shot 150 rounds of it from 3 different lot numbers in LE distribution boxes and the Gold Dot G2 147gr load shoots 6" low for me at 25 yards every time from both my two 43X's and two G48's. The G2 shoots like a laser and hits dead nuts center but I've never had that much of a disparity in anything I've shot from a pistol at 25 yards so long as velocities weren't grossly different. It is rather curious, much like the 147 HST's tendency to be just a hair left vs other comparable loads.

Agreed, the 147gr HST and 124gr +P Gold Dot shoot relatively close as you've mentioned, at least in my experience (one just tends to strike a bit more left than the other). As a side note this has not been my experience with the G2 I've tried. I've shot 150 rounds of it from 3 different lot numbers in LE distribution boxes and the Gold Dot G2 147gr load shoots 6" low for me at 25 yards every time from both my two 43X's and two G48's. The G2 shoots like a laser and hits dead nuts center but I've never had that much of a disparity in anything I've shot from a pistol at 25 yards so long as velocities weren't grossly different. It is rather curious, much like the 147 HST's tendency to be just a hair left vs other comparable loads.
    I purchased one of the first cases of the Gold Dot G2 and shot it so long ago I no longer have the targets or records.
    I shot it like range ammunition because the early rounds had some issues. After that I stayed with standard Gold Dot or HST depending on availability.

User Tag List