Page 4 of 53 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: The 43X/48 and 365/365XL are EDC game changers

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    For many years we have had essentially two categories of EDC handguns, service pistols and small handguns. Service pistols did what we expected, but at the cost of greater size. Small pistols and revolvers were smaller in size, offering EDC advantages, but that came at the cost of capacity and shootability.

I really was excited about the Glock 43, but there wasn’t an instance I carried one, that I didn’t reflect on Tom Given’s concept of one, two and three bad guy guns, loosely associated with five rounds per bad guy of capacity. With the Glock 43X/48 and Sig P365, we have smaller size EDC pistols, with legitimate Givens two bad guy or more capacity. I think these are EDC game changers, because while a larger and heavier gun will generally be easier to shoot, finally we have capacity in something small that can be shot well enough for realistic defensive use. If it proves reliable and durable, the 365XL has the potential to further close the gap between smaller EDC pistol and service pistols, as it seems designed from the ground up as a shooter’s pistol, with its optics ready configuration, improved grip module, beveled magwell, and 12-15 round capacity.

Gone are the days when we had to choose between capacity, shootability, durability and small size.
    I was looking at my Kahr PM9 yesterday. I finally brought it back from Chicago where it has been at a buddies since I had to do a turn and burn drive. Truth is, I just don't carry it much anymore - If I can conceal the boatanchor that is the 92 comfortably, then why accept a diminished capacity, difficult to shoot pistol?

Originally, I bought it as a pocket pistol-like piece, but Claude W is right: if a "pocket gun" weighs more than 14oz, it isn't a pocket gun.

And that's where I scratch my head a bit...

If you're going to carrying an EDC pistol like a 43X in AIWB or something, then you could probably carry any full size pistol.
    If you're planning on pocketing a pistol like a 43X, then, well, you probably need to re-evaluate that idea.

I keep coming back to Mas' concept of a layered defense and the whole "Rule 1 is have a gun". If you can't carry something on the hip, carry something workable in the pocket. Layer up from there...

The hardware options are nice - I'm sure Sig and Glock will sell these things like hotcakes - but I can't help but thing that mindset trumps a hardware solution.

Thank you, Les for trying to keep me from spending my money needlessly. Les is more!
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Quote Originally Posted by Les Pepperoni View Post
    I was looking at my Kahr PM9 yesterday. I finally brought it back from Chicago where it has been at a buddies since I had to do a turn and burn drive. Truth is, I just don't carry it much anymore - If I can conceal the boatanchor that is the 92 comfortably, then why accept a diminished capacity, difficult to shoot pistol?

Originally, I bought it as a pocket pistol-like piece, but Claude W is right: if a "pocket gun" weighs more than 14oz, it isn't a pocket gun.

If you're going to carrying an EDC pistol like a 43X in AIWB or something, then you could probably carry any full size pistol.
    If you're planning on pocketing a pistol like a 43X, then, well, you probably need to re-evaluate that idea.

I keep coming back to Mas' concept of a layered defense and the whole "Rule 1 is have a gun". If you can't carry something on the hip, carry something workable in the pocket. Layer up from there...

The hardware options are nice - I'm sure Sig and Glock will sell these things like hotcakes - but I can't help but thing that mindset trumps a hardware solution.
    There is a difference between covering and concealing a pistol, and for those people or those times that concealment is very important, most people can more effectively conceal a 43X/48/365 than a B92, G19 or equivalent.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

I remember when I carried an M&P Shield on my hip for a while. I found that, by and large, it wasn’t much different at all from carrying a G19 in the same spot. As time went on, I kept finding better and better holsters that allowed me to carry said G19 even better.

Then I discovered the wonders of J-frames and now I have something that can fill the gap when carrying a G19 isn’t entirely practical. Fits in my front pocket of most of my jeans/shorts no problem.

While having a more ergonomic Glock is a very nice thought, unless I find myself living in a situation where I’m capacity limited I don’t see how a G43X/G48/Shield/P365/P365XL does anything for me that a double stack can’t.

Then again, that’s me and my body type and method of carry. YMMV.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I can carry a full-sized and won't argue with your logic in that one can, (if physically able) but; when taking into account weight differences and thickness between guns, back injuries, nerve damage, or other injuries and/or disabilities, there is good reason for me to not carry something in the full sized flavor and I'm not the only one. The weight and thickness differences between models increase or reduce the need for the belt to be cinched tighter to keep everything concealed. This creates torque on my lower back and pain that just don't make it physically worth it right now for me because I can't make it through the day. The layered approach is definitely the way to go for me at the moment. When carrying a round gun or similar in the pocket or on an ankle and the 48 AIWB I can distribute the weight and am more comfortable throughout the day, it also provides me with a vast array of options I would otherwise not have. Frankly I'd love to rock my G19 all day but physically it's just too painful right now, I know I've essentially dropped 5 rounds of capacity but I'm okay with that because I've picked it back up and wrapped it in another gun.

For perspective, here is my Langdon LTT and 365XL.

Name:  C380DAAB-2B83-4F3C-96A7-DAA2B01E3D0F.jpg
Views: 1681
Size:  89.2 KB

Name:  A3F1C94D-7FC6-43B0-BB07-8AD0E9A994B3.jpg
Views: 1638
Size:  101.1 KB

Name:  75ACC54F-4316-4592-9E93-1DCD4CA7DB67.jpg
Views: 1655
Size:  67.3 KB

For smaller people, or where concealment is paramount, the 365 is significantly smaller than the 43X.

Name:  58D09513-FEEF-4412-97B1-755AF25C257A.jpg
Views: 1629
Size:  36.4 KB

Name:  6DD09E41-916B-46C5-8982-B92CC765F526.jpg
Views: 1640
Size:  36.0 KB

Name:  52CF6BA3-170A-4AA2-B87D-FC852A6B6C60.jpg
Views: 1620
Size:  29.2 KB

My wife has started using a 365 in place of a 42, in very light clothing. The increase in caliber and capacity is significant.

Name:  72754712-AEE4-4537-9EA2-88CBA7549F10.jpg
Views: 1613
Size:  35.0 KB

Name:  A4D1E32F-D313-4E45-BDD3-0AC28FE734F2.jpg
Views: 1610
Size:  34.7 KB

Name:  5A68B243-0959-4700-9A6A-FFA507586E04.jpg
Views: 1611
Size:  26.2 KB

I certainly didnt think clicking on this thread would make me want a Langdon LTT but here we are...

Hammertime

Bold mine above.

This is where I've landed. I had a G48 and it left me kind of meh. Sold it without regret. If I could carry it I could carry a G19, or 26.

G42 or 43 are just too heavy for pocket.

So...G19 on belt, and/or LCP in pocket, good to go.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    There is a difference between covering and concealing a pistol, and for those people or those times that concealment is very important, most people can more effectively conceal a 43X/48/365 than a B92, G19 or equivalent.
    George, any reliability issues as of yet with the 365XL?

User Tag List