Page 13 of 53 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast

Thread: The 43X/48 and 365/365XL are EDC game changers

Site Supporter

Glock 48

I bought a G48 in early July and I now have just over 400 rounds through it.

I really like it. Currently my warm weather concealment gun is a G43 and the cold weather concealment gun is a G19. I'm not sure the G48 will replace either gun in that role, but I really like it anyway.

I taught for a total of 13 years in the local regional police academy. I REALLY wish a Glock in this platform size would have been available 25 years ago. In every class we had two or three shooters (usually females but not always) who had small hands for whom a big service pistol with a double column magazine was too damn big. If they had S&W 59 series guns, we'd try to steer them to a S&W 39. If they had Sig 226s, we'd aim them at a P225. If they had a Beretta 92F, we would suggest a 92M. But there was never a Glock with a smaller and thinner grip we could offer as an alternative. The school had Arizona Response Systems do a grip reduction on a G17 and G19 that we used as loaner guns and that worked pretty well but a gun the size of a G48 would've worked better.

I think the G48 would make a great duty gun for shooters with small hands, presuming somebody begins to produce a suitable duty holster.

Quote Originally Posted by willie View Post

About Glocks. Why do some buy the 43X over the 48?
    Willie - I have two reasons.

Mainly my preference for selecting a G43x is the weight savings of 2.04 oz from the G48, based on published Glock information. I've learned for my situation and circumstances (EDC carry AOWB) that total weight is at least, if not more important than the size of the gun+holster. I don't plan to pocket carry the G43X; the grip is too long for me.

The length of the slide is a secondary consideration. Carrying OWB, a shorter slide length allows me to have less risk of my cover garment (typically loose polo, or T-shirt, or button-front shirt, all untucked) not going all the way over the gun. I carried my G19 that way in a Mitch Rosen Upper Limit while I was on my RV trips. A Glock 48 slide is the same length as my G19 (6.85") . But if I'm going to buy a thinner 10 round model, to save weight, I am going to opt for the shorter of the two, given the capacity is the same at 10+1.

Hope this helps. It for sure is an individual choice.
    Last edited by RJ; 08-10-2019 at 05:58 AM.

I just picked up a 48, and a 43 has been my primary warm weather carry for over three years now - in fact the 43 (and a 41) is what brought me back to Glock after a ten plus year dalliance with M&Ps.

This morning I finally succumbed to temptation and swapped the slides between the 43 and 48 to see what they were like. I’m a big CCO fan but don’t see enough advantage to the 48 top end on the 43 frame to actually use it, but now I see the appeal of the 43x. It feels right like a 26 does.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

So being the capacity whore I am I picked up a P365XL yesterday from an LE dealer. I've only put 100 rounds through it so far. I feel like it's a decent gun but I'm not sure that I like it over my 48's. It does conceal better though and is literally a hair heavier than the 48 but with 2 more rounds of 147gr HST's on board. Not crazy about flat face trigger, and really not crazy about the sight/rear plate having screws that run from the bottom up to maintain the plate and rear sight. This to me seems poorly thought out. Not saying it's an issue but I can see one of those screws coming loose at just the wrong time and locking up the gun.

Other than those two gripes I've got not much negative to say. The XL definitely punches above its weightless in capacity to weight and is truly impressive considering how shootable it is. GJM posted lots of good photos the other day so here are some weights for the gun along with some other various guns I had out of the safe this morning, (everything was measured with the same scale and the same 147gr HST's to try and minimize variations).

G19 15+1 rounds 2lbs
    G19 15 rounds 1lb 15.5oz

P365XL 12+1 rounds 1lb 10.625oz
    G48 10+1 rounds 1lb 10.5oz
    P365XL 12 rounds 1lb 10.125oz
    G48 10 rounds 1lb 10oz

G43 6+1 flush fit 1lb 6oz
    G43 6 rounds flush fit (1lb 5.5oz)
    G43 w/ Pierce +1 8 rounds 1lb 6 .635 oz
    G43 w/ Pierce +1 7 rounds 1lb 6.125 oz

S&W 642 Performance center Uncle Mikes Boot grips w/ 5 rounds 130gr HST's in moon clip 1 lb 1.375oz
    Last edited by Mike C; 08-10-2019 at 11:39 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike C View Post
    So being the capacity whore I am I picked up a P365XL yesterday from an LE dealer. I've only put 100 rounds through it so far. I feel like it's a decent gun but I'm not sure that I like it over my 48's. It does conceal better though and is literally a hair heavier than the 48 but with 2 more rounds of 147gr HST's on board. Not crazy about flat face trigger, and really not crazy about the sight/rear plate having screws that run from the bottom up to maintain the plate and rear sight. This to me seems poorly thought out. Not saying it's an issue but I can see one of those screws coming loose at just the wrong time and locking up the gun.

Other than those two gripes I've got not much negative to say. The XL definitely punches above its weightless in capacity to weight and is truly impressive considering how shootable it is. GJM posted lots of good photos the other day so here are some weights for the gun along with some other various guns I had out of the safe this morning, (everything was measured with the same scale and the same 147gr HST's to try and minimize variations).

G19 15+1 rounds 2lbs
    G19 15 rounds 1lb 15.5oz

G48 10 rounds 1lb 10oz

S&W 642 Performance center Uncle Mikes Boot grips w/ 5 rounds 130gr HST's in moon clip 1 lb 1.375oz
    Just curious, but in your first 100 did you happen to shoot it side-by-side with the G48?

I might rent or borrow a G48, (since I sold both of mine), and run a couple of side by side drills with the XL, WHO and SHO.

Quote Originally Posted by cornstalker View Post
    Just curious, but in your first 100 did you happen to shoot it side-by-side with the G48?

I might rent or borrow a G48, (since I sold both of mine), and run a couple of side by side drills with the XL, WHO and SHO.
    I did. 100 w/ the 48, 100 w/ the P365XL. I find there to be a touch more muzzle rise with the 48 probably because of the way it is sprung since it uses the 43/43X recoil spring. The XL has a big freaking recoil spring in comparison but it's not a dual recoil spring captured assembly like the G48. The XL feels great when running .25 splits and somewhat easier to manage at that pace that the G48. The recoil impulse is very different in comparison to the G48, there is noticeably more muzzle rise on the G48 vs the XL. For example I was able to dump a 12 round mag into a B8 as fast as I could at 7 yards an only tossed two out of the black sending them left at .25 splits with very little vertical dispersion. Not the same experience with the G48. The G48 shows a little more vertical stringing when run rapidly and takes a bit more effort to keep muzzle down and in the black on a B8 when running hard especially at 10 yards.

I still think I like the G48 more due to familiarity. With that comes confidence. Split transitions from upper A zone to head box at 7 and 10 were easier for me with G48 but again I feel that is primarily due to familiarity. I think I will run these two side by side for a little while to see how they stack up against one another and record some drill times and scores to see exactly what the performance gap is for me between the two and a G19. To answer you more specifically WHO and SHO felt easier with the XL without a doubt, I will give credit to where it is due. My G48 has a 5lb Wolff striker spring in it and still the XL's trigger is still noticeably easier to run. If these guns prove to be durable Sig will sell the shit out of them, same thing I think with Glocks 48/43X. They all hit a real sweet spot in terms of capacity and performance IMHO, they are basically the modern day plastic fantastic equivalent of the 1911. I have more thoughts but will have to jot them down later.

ETA:
    If you are having good luck with your XL, rent a G48 but don't buy one. Between capacity, ease of shooting and ease of concealment I'm not sure it would be worth your time unless you just like splitting hairs but, then again you are a member here and that seems to be what a lot of us here like to do.

I still like the additional sight radius on the G48 vs the XL.
    Last edited by Mike C; 08-10-2019 at 12:27 PM.

Site Supporter
    Replies to my question about the 43X and 48 provided additional insight. Weight and dimension data and explanations for choices will help me when deciding. I shoot my Shield 9mm well but have had to wrap the handle to prevent twisting. When out stumbling around as a guest on rural property, the 48 would indeed be a suitable companion. Capacity, a tad extra sight radius, and accuracy qualify the 48 for this role. The big plus is having this mixture in a light weight package. Truth is that I have talked myself into buying another pistol. Like the others, I will employ it to shoot stumps, dirt clods, and rocks. I've noticed that the Mexican cowboys keep a watchful eye on me. I have befriended them without getting in their business. Thus, I do not fear human intruders. They, if they had criminal intention, might soon disappear.

G19 15+1 rounds 2lbs
    G19 15 rounds 1lb 15.5oz

G48 10 rounds 1lb 10oz

I've been watching these threads fairly intently while contemplating one of the single stack Glocks for running, and was about to ask if someone had a rundown of loaded weights for G43, 43X, 48, etc. Thanks for posting this.

Quote Originally Posted by Up1911Fan View Post
    Oh I absolutely do. This was discussing the conceal ability of the spare mags.
    My mistake - I was talking about the gun.
    Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.

I did. 100 w/ the 48, 100 w/ the P365XL. I find there to be a touch more muzzle rise with the 48 probably because of the way it is sprung since it uses the 43/43X recoil spring. The XL has a big freaking recoil spring in comparison but it's not a dual recoil spring captured assembly like the G48. The XL feels great when running .25 splits and somewhat easier to manage at that pace that the G48. The recoil impulse is very different in comparison to the G48, there is noticeably more muzzle rise on the G48 vs the XL. For example I was able to dump a 12 round mag into a B8 as fast as I could at 7 yards an only tossed two out of the black sending them left at .25 splits with very little vertical dispersion. Not the same experience with the G48. The G48 shows a little more vertical stringing when run rapidly and takes a bit more effort to keep muzzle down and in the black on a B8 when running hard especially at 10 yards.

I still think I like the G48 more due to familiarity. With that comes confidence. Split transitions from upper A zone to head box at 7 and 10 were easier for me with G48 but again I feel that is primarily due to familiarity. I think I will run these two side by side for a little while to see how they stack up against one another and record some drill times and scores to see exactly what the performance gap is for me between the two and a G19. To answer you more specifically WHO and SHO felt easier with the XL without a doubt, I will give credit to where it is due. My G48 has a 5lb Wolff striker spring in it and still the XL's trigger is still noticeably easier to run. If these guns prove to be durable Sig will sell the shit out of them, same thing I think with Glocks 48/43X. They all hit a real sweet spot in terms of capacity and performance IMHO, they are basically the modern day plastic fantastic equivalent of the 1911. I have more thoughts but will have to jot them down later.

ETA:
    If you are having good luck with your XL, rent a G48 but don't buy one. Between capacity, ease of shooting and ease of concealment I'm not sure it would be worth your time unless you just like splitting hairs but, then again you are a member here and that seems to be what a lot of us here like to do.

I still like the additional sight radius on the G48 vs the XL.
    What you are describing about the 48 in recoil is why I prefer the 43X.
    @willie
    @GJM
    Last edited by JHC; 08-10-2019 at 05:33 PM.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

User Tag List