Page 11 of 53 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Thread: The 43X/48 and 365/365XL are EDC game changers

Quote Originally Posted by ssb View Post
    For those who are currently using a 43X or 48, what are your thoughts on a RDS for the pistol?

I'm considering a 43X for more discreet carry but I'm also pretty sold on the idea of an RDS, as my practical performance versus irons is night and day on most things. Suarez makes an adapter that'll allow RMR mounting. What I'm curious about is whether this would ruin the flatness of the pistol.
    I've no plans for this year but as the RDS options evolve and maybe MOS versions of these guns, I could see trying it. At this time, shooting 1911s and the slimlines, I've chilled on RDS'ing a standard frame Glock.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Quote Originally Posted by StraitR View Post
    The thickness difference between the 43x/48 and 19 magazines does appear small, but so is the difference between the 43x/48 and 19 slides.

The overall difference is significant for a lot of people, and enough to spawn this thread.
    Exactly. For me, it’s a case where the in hand feel and ease of carry belies the on-paper comparison.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

For those who are currently using a 43X or 48, what are your thoughts on a RDS for the pistol?

I'm considering a 43X for more discreet carry but I'm also pretty sold on the idea of an RDS, as my practical performance versus irons is night and day on most things. Suarez makes an adapter that'll allow RMR mounting. What I'm curious about is whether this would ruin the flatness of the pistol.
    I think this is the future, but I don’t think it will be soup for a bit yet. For the meantime I’m trying to acclimate myself to the idea of RDS with a new 19.5 MOS and RMR.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

Quote Originally Posted by BigT View Post
    Pistols themselves are a compromise. What these offer is something more concealable than a service pistol that handles better than a micro.

I can conceal a 17, but I can conceal a 48 easier without wearing a ""gun burkha" as Tam coined. Its also more comfortable to carry a 48 18 hours day than a service pistol, and while its not cool to admit that you don't like being uncomfortable on the internet its a real world concern for most people. And shooting wise a 48 sits closer to a 17 than a 43 for me.

So they excel at being "good enough" which realistically is what most people need.

First quote pretty much sums up my feelings on the subject. I can easily conceal a 19/17 but after 8 hours it gets a bite tiresome. With the 48 I don't get the same fatigue and hot spots as I do with the larger pistols. As far as RDS, I have an RMR on my 48 with the Dueck Defense mount. It overhangs ever so slightly on both sides of the slide, but doesn't affect comfort in any way at least for me. Only had the pistol for a few months now, but it seems to be the Goldilocks model for me so far.

Edit to add: and if those 15 round mags ever become a real thing then it's a no brainer
    Last edited by vaglocker; 08-09-2019 at 08:06 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Up1911Fan View Post
    It's not. The 48 mag is barely thinner than a 19 mag.
    The measured difference in width of the 19 vs 48 seems insignificant, but I can promise you if you hold or put both on your hip side by side the difference (particularly relating to concealability) is very noticeable.
    Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.

The trigger reach is also shorter on the 48 than the 19. Very noticeable to us midget-digit folks.

The difference in thickness, combined with the shorter trigger reach makes a big difference when you can just barely reach the pedals on the standard models.
    Last edited by cornstalker; 08-09-2019 at 08:21 AM.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by DC_P View Post
    The measured difference in width of the 19 vs 48 seems insignificant, but I can promise you if you hold or put both on your hip side by side the difference (particularly relating to concealability) is very noticeable.
    And I can promise you in my case your wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Up1911Fan View Post
    And I can promise you in my case your wrong.
    You don’t notice much of a Difference between 19 and 48 in conceal ability and grip circumference/trigger reach?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Rich

Director of R&D and product acquisitions at Empire Outfitters

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by newyork View Post
    You don’t notice much of a Difference between 19 and 48 in conceal ability and grip circumference/trigger reach?

Oh I absolutely do. This was discussing the conceal ability of the spare mags.

Quote Originally Posted by newyork View Post

I own a G19 (4,000+ rounds) and shot a box of ammo through a G48 recently. The difference in grip size is quite noticeable, to me.

Maybe my size M hands?

YMMV.

User Tag List