Page 20 of 53 FirstFirst ... 10181920212230 ... LastLast

Thread: The 43X/48 and 365/365XL are EDC game changers

So, as I was wandering around the Indy 1500 gunshow yesterday, I was specifically looking for something smaller than my G26 for off duty IWB carry. After finger banging all four of the mentioned pistols, my conclusions are as follows:

1. The P365 is just TOO small for my hands. This was my initial thought when I had one that I past on to a coworker who was desperate for it, and comparing the four pistols side by side just reinforced this feeling.
    2. The G48 is, in fact, a flat G19 - almost exactly matching my primary carry pistol but skinnier. Not sure if this is a good thing or bad thing, but it makes it hard to imagine how much easier to carry the G48 will be over G19
    3. The G43X and 365XL seem to be in a sweet spot, size wise. Both allow a full firing grip, and feel good in the hand. The P365XL FEELS better in the hand, but the trigger on the couple of samples I tried was pretty awful (gritty with several stacking points through the pull). I also don't like the idea that the rear sight is machined into the optics plate, I guess I can drift the front sight to fine tune POI, but that just seems off to me. Likewise, I'm still totally underwhelmed with the X-Ray sights as they come from the factory, so the "value" of having NS from the factory seems like a false economy - I'd much rather have place holder sights or factory Ameriglo/Trijicon HD options.
    4. The G43X trigger was nothing to write home about, definitely a step down from what's on my Gen5 G26. Also, on both the G43X and G48, there was a distinct tendency for the slide to "jump" when the striker fell on dry fire - not sure what that equates to in live fire, but it's disconcerting when considering a new pistol

At the end of the day, I walked out with nothing new in my hands, but I think I've ruled out the 48 and P365 as contenders.

Quote Originally Posted by psalms144.1 View Post
    So, as I was wandering around the Indy 1500 gunshow yesterday, I was specifically looking for something smaller than my G26 for off duty IWB carry. After finger banging all four of the mentioned pistols, my conclusions are as follows:

1. The P365 is just TOO small for my hands. This was my initial thought when I had one that I past on to a coworker who was desperate for it, and comparing the four pistols side by side just reinforced this feeling.
    2. The G48 is, in fact, a flat G19 - almost exactly matching my primary carry pistol but skinnier. Not sure if this is a good thing or bad thing, but it makes it hard to imagine how much easier to carry the G48 will be over G19
    3. The G43X and 365XL seem to be in a sweet spot, size wise. Both allow a full firing grip, and feel good in the hand. The P365XL FEELS better in the hand, but the trigger on the couple of samples I tried was pretty awful (gritty with several stacking points through the pull). I also don't like the idea that the rear sight is machined into the optics plate, I guess I can drift the front sight to fine tune POI, but that just seems off to me. Likewise, I'm still totally underwhelmed with the X-Ray sights as they come from the factory, so the "value" of having NS from the factory seems like a false economy - I'd much rather have place holder sights or factory Ameriglo/Trijicon HD options.
    4. The G43X trigger was nothing to write home about, definitely a step down from what's on my Gen5 G26. Also, on both the G43X and G48, there was a distinct tendency for the slide to "jump" when the striker fell on dry fire - not sure what that equates to in live fire, but it's disconcerting when considering a new pistol

At the end of the day, I walked out with nothing new in my hands, but I think I've ruled out the 48 and P365 as contenders.
    The G48 is way easier to carry than a G19.
    #RESIST

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    The G48 is way easier to carry than a G19.
    Absolutely no doubt, and I guess I was rambling a bit. My issue is I'm looking for a small, light, but still capable pistol for off duty. On duty, it's G19, all the way. I see how the G48 is, absolutely, a polymer LW Commander as a primary carry gun, but it's still a little bit more pistol than I want for loafing around on the weekends.

Sounds like a 43X may be more what you want?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Rich

Director of R&D and product acquisitions at Empire Outfitters

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    Shut up and take my money.

Attachment 41638

Would be cool if carry reliable. Seems like that's challenging with Glocks. If it works what could be done for the 42/43?

I Am Glad For You Young ‘Uns

I wish that these mini-nines had arrived in time to be more relevant for me. I have aged-out of the compact/miniaturized carry pistol category; eighty rounds of standard-pressure 9mm, fired from a Gen4 G19, is too much for my right hand/wrist, effective as of October 2017*, so there is little point in trying a single-column-mag variant. (It did not hurt while firing the qual, but the swelling and pain soon made itself apparent, and it lasted for at least a week.) As I am becoming an old man, and having retired from LEO-ing, it would be nice to carry smaller/lighter weapons, without having to step-down from duty/service-level cartridges.

I am not meaning to have a negative tone; I am glad for y’all. I may even buy ones of these narrow-assed pistols, and use it lefty-only, as I now do with my G19 pistols, and some other weapons, now. (I do not consider left-hand-only status, however, as “fully relevant. I trained to be functionally ambidextrous with handguns, almost from the beginning, and actually made 0300 my primary carry position, when I started LEO-ing, even though left-handed.)

Thankfully, my G17 pistols, and my G19x, which has a G17-sized grip, remain OK, for now. I believe that the longer grip, bearing against the deepest corner of the heel of my hand, is the key, transferring the recoil more directly to the ulna bone. Big bores remain usable, if I shoot them with similarly-long, square-backed grip frames.

I can hope for an eventual single-column-mag Glock 9mm pistol, with a G17-length grip frame.

*I fired my final duty qual in October 2017. A nice thing about my retiree quals, is that I need not fire each weapon I intend to carry; one, each, revolver and auto, suffices.
    Last edited by Rex G; 08-25-2019 at 10:50 AM.
    Retar’d LE. Kinesthetic dufus.

Don’t tread on volcanos!

A G43x with a 43 frame (can be had for $100 with all necessary parts on GB) covers a whole lot of ground, and is as close to a one gun solution as I can imagine.

"I'm a tactical operator and Instructor and also retired military."

-read on another forum

Am I nuts to want to sell my G19.5 for a G43X, and shoot the G43X in USPSA?

Quote Originally Posted by richiecotite View Post
    A G43x with a 43 frame (can be had for $100 with all necessary parts on GB) covers a whole lot of ground, and is as close to a one gun solution as I can imagine.

Isn’t that just a G43 with front serrations?
    Last edited by newyork; 08-25-2019 at 07:50 PM.

I think he's suggesting the 43X in stock condition for daily carry, and the upper on the 43 frame when deep concealment is in order...

User Tag List