Page 46 of 53 FirstFirst ... 364445464748 ... LastLast

Thread: The 43X/48 and 365/365XL are EDC game changers

Quote Originally Posted by JBP55 View Post
    rainman, I have used quite a bit of Gold Dot and HST in 124+P as well as 147 over the years and never saw a 6" height difference in them shooting at 25 yards.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike C View Post
    Agreed, the 147gr HST and 124gr +P Gold Dot shoot relatively close as you've mentioned, at least in my experience (one just tends to strike a bit more left than the other). As a side note this has not been my experience with the G2 I've tried. I've shot 150 rounds of it from 3 different lot numbers in LE distribution boxes and the Gold Dot G2 147gr load shoots 6" low for me at 25 yards every time from both my two 43X's and two G48's. The G2 shoots like a laser and hits dead nuts center but I've never had that much of a disparity in anything I've shot from a pistol at 25 yards so long as velocities weren't grossly different. It is rather curious, much like the 147 HST's tendency to be just a hair left vs other comparable loads.
    Quote Originally Posted by JBP55 View Post
    I purchased one of the first cases of the Gold Dot G2 and shot it so long ago I no longer have the targets or records.
    I shot it like range ammunition because the early rounds had some issues. After that I stayed with standard Gold Dot or HST depending on availability.

Thanks all for the feedback.

Yes, the height difference between Fed HST 147 and Gold Dot 124 +P is close to 6".

I looked back at my range log and shot some Gold Dot 147 (not the G2) through it a while back, and it hits a little lower than the Fed HST 147...probably more like 2" (give or take) above POA at 20 yds.

Looking back, I also did see that one ammo did shoot very well, and to POA; Black Hills 124 +P (vintage 2005 / 2006)...trouble is, I don't have very much of that left and it's no longer made (I believe because Speer stopped selling the bullet to Black Hills). I switched from that to Gold Dot 124 +P, and am trying to move to a 147 load as I like the way it shoots, especially in the little Glocks.

Don't think there's much point in sending this one back to Glock for a look-see. What do I tell them; "gee, I don't like the way I shoot this gun"? I've owned many Glocks and the only one that didn't shoot was an early G30 that had feeding issues. That one did go back to Glock for service, but to no avail.

I'll give it a few (hundred or two) more rounds. The Talon Grips improved the shoot-ability and hopefully my consistency. At some point though if things don't get better I'll likely put it on consignment and move on to something else. The G43 fills a niche...it's harder to shoot, but I'm much more consistent with it than I am with this G48.

-Rainman

I had a Glock 19 that shot 147 HST about 6 inches higher than 115 fmj or 124 +p gold dot. That’s the only time it’s happened to me but sometimes individual guns just do weird stuff.

I have never seen a 6" difference between 124 and 147 ammunition from Gold Dot or HST in the several dozen pistols I have shot at 75' over many years. YMMV

@rainman, just out of curiosity what front and rear height are you using on the G48 from 10-8? Have you shot any of the carry loads before you changed sights? If so were you still seeing the same things?

@rainman, just out of curiosity what front and rear height are you using on the G48 from 10-8? Have you shot any of the carry loads before you changed sights? If so were you still seeing the same things?
    Using the full size sights recommended on the 10-8 G43/43X/48 page...
    https://www.10-8performance.com/glock-43-43x-48/
    "Since the Glock 43X and 48 are somewhat larger, they can accept some full size pistol sights without the sights seeming "too big" on top. We strongly recommend our MOS Standard Height Rear Sight (.250" net blade height) and a .250" tall front."

Only two range sessions prior to installing the 10-8 sights, and those sessions were with a small subset of ammo (mostly WW 115gr and Fed American Eagle 124gr ball)...i.e., mostly break-in rounds while I was waiting on the 10-8 sights!

I could try switching back to the stock sights or another aftermarket set (have to look through this thread and see what others recommend). I had thought about doing something like that...can understand sights that are 'not right for a gun' (e.g. ammo doesn't hit near POA) but having a hard time understanding the radical difference POI difference between ammo that shoots relatively close in all other guns.

Thanks for the recommendation...maybe time to start sight-shopping.

-Rainman

@rainman, what I end up doing is zeroing each individual gun to the ammo I am using. I have standardized on 147gr HST as primary and then 124 +P GD as a secondary, lastly HDY Critical defense as third option. Regardless of whether you are going to run the same ammo in all of your pistols or not I would recommend just selecting the same rears you want to use across the board then get a few flat black or serrated front sights, (since they are cheap) in various heights then slide the rears on all your guns go to the range. Shoot and then swap fronts out on each gun as you zero them to your preferred POA/POI at the distance you've selected and record the heights that work for the preferred POA/POI.

In addition I do the same with the practice ammo to ensure matching POA/POI to my carry load and the secondary ammo. That way I have options if I can't get something from one mfg. I can get it from another. This may seem overboard but it will keep you from chasing your tail trying to remember what was what later. Just a thought sorry for the long winded reply, I hope that you get things sorted.

Site Supporter
    @rainman, what I end up doing is zeroing each individual gun to the ammo I am using. I have standardized on 147gr HST as primary and then 124 +P GD as a secondary, lastly HDY Critical defense as third option. Regardless of whether you are going to run the same ammo in all of your pistols or not I would recommend just selecting the same rears you want to use across the board then get a few flat black or serrated front sights, (since they are cheap) in various heights then slide the rears on all your guns go to the range. Shoot and then swap fronts out on each gun as you zero them to your preferred POA/POI at the distance you've selected and record the heights that work for the preferred POA/POI.

In addition I do the same with the practice ammo to ensure matching POA/POI to my carry load and the secondary ammo. That way I have options if I can't get something from one mfg. I can get it from another. This may seem overboard but it will keep you from chasing your tail trying to remember what was what later. Just a thought sorry for the long winded reply, I hope that you get things sorted.
    I take a similar approach using a few spare black fronts. Carry guns zeroed to my carry load, training gun zeroed to my practice load.

Coincidentally, 124 +P GD and 147gr HST are the two varieties I've tried to standardize for 'serious ammo'...used the former for >10 years, trying to use the latter as much as possible. I especially like the way 147gr HST feels in the G43 and G48. I've just never seen that much of a difference between the two in any other platform, especially Glocks.

Thanks for the advice on sights. I think this is just a case of having had it too easy with too many Glocks for too long, and being a bit dumbfounded (and lazy) that the G48 has proven to be stubborn. I really like the 4 extra rounds that the G48 provides over the G43 and want to make it work for me.

-Rainman

Quote Originally Posted by rainman View Post
    I think this is just a case of having had it too easy with too many Glocks for too long, and being a bit dumbfounded (and lazy) that the G48 has proven to be stubborn. I really like the 4 extra rounds that the G48 provides over the G43 and want to make it work for me.
    By stubborn, do yo mean reliability issues? If so, which ammo has been problematic?

Received a small package from Overwatch Precision today:

Glock G43/G42/G43x/G48 NP3'ed OEM Minus Connector
    220031$25.00 USD

OG DAT
    (Model: G43, G43X, G48, Trigger Safety Tab Color: Black)
    282221$99.99

I have a np3’d safety plunger coming soon.

I found it interesting my SCD aka ‘gadget’ lies flat with the striker cocked. I’d somehow gotten the impression it would not. So that was good.

I have a Overwatch Trigger in my G19 USPSA gun and I quite like it. Will get to the range soon.

User Tag List