Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: P99 AS question

P99 AS question

I'm sure this has been asked and discussed many times, but for an updated clarification, can the p99AS be safely carried in AS mode? (a search on the Walther forum gives no definitive answer)

Yes, that is how it was designed...think of it more like LEM in that there's a long but very light first pull. All of the internal safeties are still engaged as far as I know...

Some people are off-put by the light pull, but I'll bet you those same people don't have any problems carrying a PPQ. Which is all AS mode is, except the trigger is further forward/has a longer first pull.

Edit - personally when I carry mine (not that often these days)...it's decocked. Not because I don't like AS mode, but because I dry fire practice from decocked...may as well carry how I practice?
    Last edited by Evil_Ed; 05-30-2021 at 03:41 PM.

The P99 manual states:

carl-walther.com/uploads/media/manuals/262_81_39_b_P99_USA.pdf (page 17):
    3.3 Decocker (P99 AS)

The decocker offers a safe way of de-cocking the P99 AS. The decocker is routinely used to de-cock the striker. De-cock the P99 AS after loading, before holstering and prior to disassembly. [...]
    Name:  P99 decocker.png
Views: 424
Size:  100.0 KB

The manuals (in several languages) are linked on Walther's website:
    carl-walther.com/defense/products/p/2689421 (scroll down, see "Downloads")
    Last edited by P30; 05-30-2021 at 04:46 PM.

Question

The above is what I remember from my first readings on this. I carry mine decocked, however, the light LEM, PPQ, and new PDP would seem to have less margin for miscalculation or change of circumstances.

Site Supporter
    The AS trigger in a P99 is too light for me to feel safe carrying (as in, not decocked). But that’s a personal choice, I suppose. I own a P99 (and not a PPQ or PDP) because it has a decocker. The AS (aka, single action) is a freakin great trigger, though. And the DA pull ain’t bad either.
    Last edited by MattyD380; 05-30-2021 at 08:41 PM.

You CAN, but why?

One, there’s no good way to return it to AS mode after firing. In other words you can’t easily “reset” the AS trigger when coming off target, moving, holstering, etc. like you could safe a SA pistol or decock a DA/SA (including the P99 if you run it like one). If the idea is that AS mode is a safety-enhancing feature like a manual safety or a DA pull, this is a problem. Even if the AS mode is a safety plus, you’re still running around without it a good amount of the time, which would suggest you may be better off just using a PPQ/PDP and always having the gun in the same condition.

Which leads to:

Two, why run a P99 at all if that’s the plan? If the goal is a slightly safer striker trigger, it seems a stock Glock or one with a NY-1 trigger makes more sense.

I carried P99s for a while and used the decocker just as I would on any other gun that had one. If I hadn’t wanted to use it, I would have used a different pistol.

I’d also argue the AS mode doesn’t actually do much of anything. It’s so incredibly light I never even noticed it when firing the first round after a slide lock reload, for example.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Elwin View Post

I carried P99s for a while and used the decocker just as I would on any other gun that had one. If I hadn’t wanted to use it, I would have used a different pistol.

I’d also argue the AS mode doesn’t actually do much of anything. It’s so incredibly light I never even noticed it when firing the first round after a slide lock reload, for example.
    Well said. Pretty much sums up my take on the P99. Which I love, BTW.

Agreed with the above posters. On some level, it's no less safe to carry a P99 in AS mode than it is to carry a PPQ or PDP, but if you're going to do that, it would make far more sense to carry a PPQ or PDP. The P99 was designed as a DA/SA pistol. Hell, I even decock mine before holstering when I'm registered for Limited in a USPSA match...

Quote Originally Posted by Elwin View Post
    One, there’s no good way to return it to AS mode after firing.
    That depends on how you define "good," I guess. Retracting the slide by about 1/4" or 1/2" is enough to reset it into AS mode from SA mode. Frankly, I think it's silly to do that, but it's definitely possible.

Question

Elwin: After firing, doesn't the p99 default to AS mode; "One, there’s no good way to return it to AS mode after firing."
    Last edited by gunrascal; 05-31-2021 at 08:41 AM.

User Tag List