Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: SAO versions of TDA pistols, why?

SAO versions of TDA pistols, why?

I’m asking this partly to understand the draw and partly for someone to tell me it’s stupid and talk me out of looking for something like a SAO CZ or 226, etc.

Is it something that came about to make it easier for a 1911 shooter to transition to another platform? Is it a competition thing? Just a personal preference for one trigger pull to learn/remain proficient with?
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

Quote Originally Posted by awp_101 View Post
    I’m asking this partly to understand the draw and partly for someone to tell me it’s stupid and talk me out of looking for something like a SAO CZ or 226, etc.

Is it something that came about to make it easier for a 1911 shooter to transition to another platform? Is it a competition thing? Just a personal preference for one trigger pull to learn/remain proficient with?
    i think that different folks have different reasons. for me it would be for precision w/o the first da stroke, for others it may be replicating the manual of arms of other sa pistols, still others may think it gives them a reduced time from draw to first shot.

jeff cooper once said that the da/sa pistol was the answer to a question that hadn't been asked, so there is that mindset among some folks.

i grew up on da revolvers, so the idea of the da/sa transition didn't bother me much, other folks have different experiences.

i'd like to have a cz75 b sa if i could find one. although a sig p210 would make more sense fo my gun games.
    Adding nothing to the conversation since 2015....

Speaking only for myself.

I have a couple of SAO 226’s as well as a CZ 75SAO.

I love 1911’s, but grip safeties and I do not get along. My Thenar Eminence (the area of muscle/skin/fat between the base of my thumb and base of 1st finger) is rather pronounced, and a lot more prominent than the meat of my thumb muscles on my palmer side of the hand. Thus, my hands work to make the grip safety go into the safe position constantly as the thenar eminence pushes up against the bottom of the tang of the grip safety.

Thus, with these guns-no grip safety to contend with.

I own several TDA versions of these guns also. Almost all of which have gone off to smiths for trigger jobs in order to get the DA action smother and lighter. I also have some arthritis in my hands, and while I can shoot a DA shot ok a time or two, working with the DA pulls constantly in training-which is needed in order to maintain proficiency, give my arthritis grief.

Thus, no DA action to contend with.

Now none of these guns gets any time of time as a carry weapon. They are way too big and bulky for my wardrobe, and quite heavy.

But for a fun range shooter-they are nice.

It’s a good way for folks who don’t necessarily like the 1911 and/or the 45 ACP to try an SAO pistol.

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

Most of the SA conversions of typical DA/SA designs were/are meant primarily for competition. Of course, it's up to the end user, but that's the market focus for such things.
    We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again.......

Thanks, learning has occurred.

@ccmdfd, I hadn’t thought about the benefits for someone with hand issues. I deal with chronic tendinitis and it feels like my carpal tunnel is coming back ~15 years after having it surgically “repaired”. I spent most of the range trip a couple of weeks ago doing lots of DA revolver fire and my hands and elbows still haven’t let me forget. I might have fired 10 rounds DA on Monday's range session due to that. Maybe that’s the excuse justification I need to start figuring out what SAO I want.
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    I had an SAO P226 and a DA/SA version. Was thinking the SAO would be my affordable double-stack 1911-ish 9mm gun. Did some work with it, put myself on the timer, and found I was consistently several tenths slower to the first shot than I was with a DA press. Didn't run video to analyze or anything, but I think it was just a matter of one more thing to process in parallel during the presentation slowing down the whole process. It didn't seem to me to be an insertion of time where the process stopped while I clicked off the safety, just a slowing down of everything because another thing had to get through the same size brain hole.

I'm slow enough anyway that I wouldn't call this a definitive or generalizable outcome, but I decided that if I can start out several tenths faster just by selecting equipment, and that equipment also has many other advantages, I'm better off going down that path. Sold the SAO versions of anything where I had SAO and DA/SA. And the ones I kept still have a nice SA available, so I don't feel like I lost anything.

(This experience is one reason I don't just stick a V9 plate in a USP to avoid dealing with the DA press.)

I'm one of those people who finds I'm just as accurate, if not moreso, in DA than I am in SA. YMMV.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Quote Originally Posted by awp_101 View Post
    Thanks, learning has occurred.

@ccmdfd, I hadn’t thought about the benefits for someone with hand issues. I deal with chronic tendinitis and it feels like my carpal tunnel is coming back ~15 years after having it surgically “repaired”. I spent most of the range trip a couple of weeks ago doing lots of DA revolver fire and my hands and elbows still haven’t let me forget. I might have fired 10 rounds DA on Monday's range session due to that. Maybe that’s the excuse justification I need to start figuring out what SAO I want.
    Sounds like a good justification to me! If anyone gives you grief for purchasing a new handgun, tell them a doctor advised you to!

Yeah, I love a good DA revolver trigger, not many around these days. I can't imagine shooting one in a high round count handgun class or competition though. Ouch!

Shooting semi autos with hand issues can get tricky, you've got to find the sweet spot for a multitude of variables.

Too light of a gun transmits more jarring recoil to the base of the thumb, especially with hotter ammo. Too heavy of a gun (I tried the original, not p320 based, X Five) and you get fatigue from gripping and hefting the thing around.

Ditto for other variables.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by ccmdfd View Post
    Yeah, I love a good DA revolver trigger, not many around these days. I can't imagine shooting one in a high round count handgun class or competition though. Ouch!
    It's not that bad. My record is 720 rounds over a day-and-a-half class. Going to a thousand wouldn't have been an issue.

I'm considering having my pair of CZ-75Bs converted to SAO, though it's a low priority at this time. I really dislike having to manually decock them, which would be pretty stressful after a self-defense shooting. Yeah, I know I could just engage the safety, and that was the plan, but I didn't like it. If I decided to start carrying SAO, I'd have two vetted, reliable, accurate guns that would basically be updated BHPs with good repair parts availability. I'm still doing fine with DA, though, so I don't see that happening too soon.

Site Supporter
    Do these single action guns like the 226 have a plunger to keep the thumb safety in the on position? I've never held one in my hand but from the pictures I've seen it doesn't appear that they do.

User Tag List