Page 1 of 53 1231151 ... LastLast

Thread: The 43X/48 and 365/365XL are EDC game changers

The 43X/48 and 365/365XL are EDC game changers

For many years we have had essentially two categories of EDC handguns, service pistols and small handguns. Service pistols did what we expected, but at the cost of greater size. Small pistols and revolvers were smaller in size, offering EDC advantages, but that came at the cost of capacity and shootability.

I really was excited about the Glock 43, but there wasn’t an instance I carried one, that I didn’t reflect on Tom Given’s concept of one, two and three bad guy guns, loosely associated with five rounds per bad guy of capacity. With the Glock 43X/48 and Sig P365, we have smaller size EDC pistols, with legitimate Givens two bad guy or more capacity. I think these are EDC game changers, because while a larger and heavier gun will generally be easier to shoot, finally we have capacity in something small that can be shot well enough for realistic defensive use. If it proves reliable and durable, the 365XL has the potential to further close the gap between smaller EDC pistol and service pistols, as it seems designed from the ground up as a shooter’s pistol, with its optics ready configuration, improved grip module, beveled magwell, and 12-15 round capacity.

Gone are the days when we had to choose between capacity, shootability, durability and small size.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Site Supporter
    I was talking with one of my shooting mentors yesterday about how much he liked the 43X as a "shootable small EDC". Agreed on game changer status.

While a little chunkier, I think a Glock 26 is easier to shoot.

Also a 2 bad guy option.
    Don’t blame me. I didn’t vote for that dumb bastard.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg View Post

Also a 2 bad guy option.
    I carry it with 13 rounds. So it's...uh...two and a half men.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Read: Harrison Bergeron

Quote Originally Posted by Greg View Post

Also a 2 bad guy option.
    I’ve found 48’s much easier to draw consistently and more comfortable to carry than 26’s. To comfortably carry a 26 I had to use a 17 length holster. Same with a 19. Anything shorter would cause the muzzle end to dig in painfully or cause the grip end to tip out. I don’t get that with the 48. This is all from appendix.

As much as I complain about Glocks the 48/43x has been rock solid for them since launch. Mine came with the really excellent Bold sights. Add a SCD and it’s really a very formidable AIWB tool.
    “If you know the way broadly you will see it in everything." - Miyamoto Musashi

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    I carry it with 13 rounds. So it's...uh...two and a half men.
    Sounds like a bad movie.

Quote Originally Posted by GreggW View Post
    I’ve found 48’s much easier to draw consistently and more comfortable to carry than 26’s. To comfortably carry a 26 I had to use a 17 length holster. Same with a 19. Anything shorter would cause the muzzle end to dig in painfully or cause the grip end to tip out. I don’t get that with the 48. This is all from appendix.

As much as I complain about Glocks the 48/43x has been rock solid for them since launch. Mine came with the really excellent Bold sights. Add a SCD and it’s really a very formidable AIWB tool.
    I know a lot of people are meah about the G48 but I really do like mine. Only thing that can make it better is the SCD as you stated and or 5 lbs striker from Wolff if they are reliable in your gun, (maybe a reliable 15 round mag if we're lucky). I agree with you @GJM these two new guns really are game changers, I think that they significantly close the performance gap between full-size and what I consider to be ultra-concealable guns like the G43. It really is impressive what I've been wringing out of my 48 especially since I've dropped in the Wolff 5 lbs striker, (mainly past 20 yards). It's nothing groundbreaking for me accuracy wise but over all I am so close to the shooting performance with 1st and second rounds on target vs a G19 I would agree with @JHC that there is almost no use for my full-sized guns any more except bedside usage. I really only notice a difference between the G48 and the G19 when I go from 7 to 10 yards and run things like bill drills. If I am working for accuracy even past 25 out to 50 it's a wash. There is a touch more muzzle flip with regards to the 48 vs 19 but all in all they are really close and provide a level of comfort, conceal-ability, and shoot-ability that I didn't think was possible in a slim line Glock/gun. I am really pleased with my G48 but, there is a part of me that still wants to have a few 365XL's because I'm a capacity whore deep down inside even though I want something slim.
    Last edited by Mike C; 08-06-2019 at 07:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike C View Post
    Sounds like a bad movie.
    I think it was a bad tv show...but I never saw it.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Read: Harrison Bergeron

Certainly true from my point of view.

My G26.5 went to fund a P365 for my shooting partner.

I just ordered an SCD for a future G43X, as soon as my GSSF coupon arrives.

I’m still keeping my G19.5 for matches. Plus my LCR in .38. So with a 10-round EDC to compliment those two, seems like a pretty good set of three handguns to me as a basic .civ CCW guy.

I hope the Shield Arms 15 round 43X/48 mags prove to be reliable when they’re finally available. 50% capacity increase is nothing to scoff at. Really enjoying my 48 as well, especially in the humid SE. Warm weather comfort carry is greatly enhanced vs my 19/17s.
    Shoot more, post less...

The 43X/48 and 365/365XL are EDC game changers

Quote Originally Posted by MSparks909 View Post
    I hope the Shield Arms 15 round 43X/48 mags prove to be reliable when they’re finally available. 50% capacity increase is nothing to scoff at. Really enjoying my 48 as well, especially in the humid SE. Warm weather comfort carry is greatly enhanced vs my 19/17s.
    Hey M! Hope everything is going well with you.

Ditto on that magazine comment. The stories of 15 round mags are pretty interesting.

Also, to add one other point on the thread: it may or may not be related to Sig/Glock’s marketing and product development strategy, but I find as a male with size M hands, and with a shooting partner with size S female hands, these size guns just ‘fit’ us better. My suspicion is they took into account the anthropometrics of a population that includes folks from 5% female size, not just starting at 5% male.

I had my G19 out of the safe the other day prepping for a range trip and was astonished to remember how big it was. That may seem amusing to some of you guys with L or XL paws, but it’s certainly something I think about these days.
    Last edited by RJ; 08-06-2019 at 07:39 PM.

User Tag List