Page 52 of 53 FirstFirst ... 24250515253 LastLast

Thread: The 43X/48 and 365/365XL are EDC game changers

Quote Originally Posted by JoeSixPack View Post
    Stupid question - is there any reason to not have a silver slide G48 milled for an optic and refinished in black nitride? I like the grippiness and it's been reliable, but it's not like painting over a Monet or anything, right?
    Cost and schedule maybe? I found most shops were quoting 3-4 weeks for cerakote, and up to 8 weeks for nitride. Some charge more for nitride as well. But many tell me the nitride is much tougher than cerakote. I don't mind, really, as it's a Glock carry gun and I am not worried about cosmetics.

I just had my non-MOS black G48 milled for a 507k. I had the slide recoated in graphite black cerakote. It's hard to tell between the original finish and the new; here's a photo of it next to my stock G34 MOS with a 507c mounted on a FCD plate. I think the cerakote on mine now is slightly less slickery than the black nitride (a good thing, as far as I'm concerned). The silver slide G48's I've seen/held seem more rough, I am not real familiar with the silver finish but I understand it's some other kind (PVD?) than black nitride.

Name:  IMG_8745.jpg
Views: 1137
Size:  102.5 KB

Yes the silver finish on the first generation of the G43X and G48 was a PVD coating. I was a big fan of its texture and the fact that it wasn’t smooth as glass. I wish Glock would release more guns with black PVD coated slides.
    My posts only represent my personal opinion and do not necessarily reflect the opinions or official policies of any employer, past or present. Obvious spelling errors are likely the result of an iPhone keyboard.

Site Supporter
    Just waiting on the BUIS from Dawson.
    Name:  20210503_182754.jpg
Views: 929
Size:  74.7 KB

My G43X finally arrived. Black slide, frame rail version. I spent some time on dry practice to get to know the pistol a little bit.

First impression is that it felt familiar. I’ve shot G19s and G26s before but this didn’t feel like any of those. I laid it over my G17.5 and noticed that the curve of the backstraps is very similar. The humps are in about the same place which probably explains why it didn’t feel that foreign to me.

Slim it is. Amazingly so. The width is something I associate with the .380 pistols that my uncles used to carry long before they needed canes and walkers. Being that slim, I was worried that it wouldn’t have enough surface for my support hand when I assumed a two-handed grip. It’s a little tighter than a G17 for sure, but I managed to tweak my grip to work with the gun. I also like that I don’t have to deal with dangling pinkies.

For me, it likes more finger on the trigger. Trying to use the same amount of finger that I do on a G17 causes the sights to move when the trigger breaks. In terms of trigger feel, I’d say it’s closer to a Gen4 than a Gen5 but with a slightly crisper break (if a Glock trigger can ever be described as crisp). Weight isn’t bad but all of it seems to be at the wall.

Texture doesn’t have as much bite as a Gen4/Gen5. Not sure how significant this will be in live fire.

Stock sights are what they are. With my eyes, I see the white outline more than the dot. I’ll take a Sharpie to the rear before I visit the range. I don’t have a ton of ammo on hand but I set aside 200 rounds of ball for this weekend.

If this thing proves to be reliable enough, I can see it displacing my G17 for concealed carry. Hopefully, all it will need is real sights and a decent holster.

Cross posting from my TJ: I had a couple malfunctions today on my G48.

Pistol was milled by PM for a 507k. It is stock except for an SCD, a Ghost connector and an Overwatch PolyDAT trigger. Gun has 865 rounds through. Ammo today was Speer Gold Dot 124+p. The mag I bought used, but have had no issues previously. The ammo has run fine previously.

The two malfunctions occurred on the first mag of the day, loaded with 10xonce-chambered GDs. The first round did not light off, I heard a "click" and not a "bang". I ejected the round and confirmed the primer had a dent in it. I rechambered. The next round fired, but the subsequent round did not feed:

Name:  IMG_8853.jpg
Views: 701
Size:  51.7 KB

Forward plan is to try Federal HST 147 and Speer 124 GD normal pressure at next opportunity.

Quote Originally Posted by RJ View Post

Pistol was milled by PM for a 507k. It is stock except for an SCD, a Ghost connector and an Overwatch PolyDAT trigger. Gun has 865 rounds through. Ammo today was Speer Gold Dot 124+p. The mag I bought used, but have had no issues previously. The ammo has run fine previously.

The two malfunctions occurred on the first mag of the day, loaded with 10xonce-chambered GDs. The first round did not light off, I heard a "click" and not a "bang". I ejected the round and confirmed the primer had a dent in it. I rechambered. The next round fired, but the subsequent round did not feed:

Forward plan is to try Federal HST 147 and Speer 124 GD normal pressure at next opportunity.
    That stinks. I hope the 147 works out for you. This isn’t a time where you can really test hundreds of rounds of duty ammo to ensure reliability.

Did you try to reshoot the round that initially didn't go off in the G48 or another gun?

Quote Originally Posted by RJ View Post

Quote Originally Posted by CLaw View Post
    Did you try to reshoot the round that initially didn't go off in the G48 or another gun?
    Yes, both that round, and the one that failed to feed, were loaded into that same mag and shot without incident.

I am pondering a couple things. RSA replacement is what like 2,500, but in an abundance of caution (it's my carry gun) I am going to replace it ($17 part, easy decision to eliminate the RSA.) Also, the batch of mags that R-8 was a part of all have this curious "hesitation" to load, like the feed lips are slightly compressed. I am wondering if the feed lips being slightly under could result in negative force holding the cartridge? Not much but maybe this all adds up. I dunno. I will say that mags C-1 and C-2, that came with the gun, do not have this characteristic (I have 11 mags for the 48).

I did find the box of standard pressure 124 Gold Dots, as well as my usual fresh new box of 124+p, plus my carry Federal 147 HST, so I will get a chance to try these options at next range opportunity.

Quote Originally Posted by GAP View Post
    That stinks. I hope the 147 works out for you. This isn’t a time where you can really test hundreds of rounds of duty ammo to ensure reliability.
    Thank you sir. You are absolutely right about that.

Delta Busta Kappa fratboy Hot Sauce's Avatar
    Given the centrality of the forum in pushing forward the discussion on AIWB-safe carry and the development of the Gadget, does anyone know if any manufacturer makes an extended safety lever for the 365?

I haven't shot a 365 yet, but the stock safety lever appears a little too slim and dinky to ride thumb-on-top through recoil.
    Gaming will get you killed in the streets. Dueling will get you killed in the fields.
    -Alexander Hamilton

User Tag List