Page 43 of 53 FirstFirst ... 334142434445 ... LastLast

Thread: The 43X/48 and 365/365XL are EDC game changers

Quote Originally Posted by Crow Hunter View Post
    Well, I got a change to wring the G43X out along with a brand new G19.5 and my old training G19.3.

TLDR:Color me disappointed

G19.5

Good
    -Ejection was extremely "robust", definitely don't have to worry about BTF.
    -Magazine could be dropped without changing my grip
    -Sensation of slightly less felt recoil than my G19.3
    -No pulling to the left (that I sometimes get with Glock Gen 3)
    -Really nice dry fire trigger, no sight disturbance at all (better than with my G19.3)

Not so good
    -Accuracy for me was actually slightly worse than my old G19.3 training gun with 115gr UMC, about equal with some old mixed 115gr HP (Rem & Win), significantly worse with Speer GD 124 +P (of which I have a bunch).
    -Several failures to lock back on an empty mag, not sure if it was grip related or not (was not using the Gen 5 magazine)
    -Shot extremely low for me with factory sights (2" below with a dead on hold at 10 yds, I prefer 6:00)
    -Actually had my first experience with "Glock Knuckle", not something I had ever experienced before with Gen 3 having owned 19,34,22,23,27,30,21 in the past.
    -Surprisingly enough, I actually missed the finger grooves... A lot.
    -25 yard shooting was downright embarrassing. (Maybe wrong sight picture?)

This one will be going on the trade/sale block. I will just stick with Gen3 for now. I have lots of spare parts, armorer's experience, AA Conversion, etc and my training G19 is my least accurate one. Not what I was hoping to see. I would definitely recommend someone who is getting their first G19 to go with the Gen 5 but I would not recommend someone getting rid of good shooting older Gen to "upgrade".

G43X

Good
    -I love the way it feels in my hand
    -I love the size and shape and weight
    -First shots from a draw almost always directly on aiming point (1" dia sticky)
    -25 yd slow fire was surprisingly good (almost as good as my G19.3, better on one string)
    -Easier to clear holster 4:00 IWB
    -Sights regulated for 6:00 hold for me with factory sights

Not so Good
    -124gr +P Gold Dot (ouch, not 642 +P level of ouch but definitely 130gr FMJ ouch) I would need to find a different carry load.
    -Multiple shot groups opened much more, particularly F2S drills and draw fire 3.
    -Some "Glock knuckle" (not as bad as G19.5 surprisingly)
    -Mag release is very stiff
    -While not a significantly poorer performance than the G19.3 control, it was noticeable to me and I am not that great of a shot
    -Noticeably fewer beans with a full magazine in both

I am on the fence about this one. There are things that I really like and things that I don't. Since these guns weren't vetted, I spent the whole day wearing my G19.3 in a JMCK IWB 3 (except when shooting) and it really wasn't that heavy. Using this holster there is no difference in concealability with the G43X both were basically invisible.

Like several have posted in another thread, when I pick a gun I tend to like to use that gun for everything. Changing out my CCW/House/Training guns to all G43X might not be worth the cost (trying to get rid of 60+ G19 mags is a daunting task.)

I need to think about this some more.

Maybe do some more shooting next weekend before making a firm decision. For now I am definitely sticking with my G19.3 for defensive usage.
    I will be keeping an eye on the classifieds.

I really didn't see that the G48 concealed any better at 4:00 than a G19 for me. I am guessing that AIWB is where I would see the most difference?
    I know that I can get away with a lot less shirt with the P365xl than with a G19, both AIWB in DSG holsters, both with optics.

Quote Originally Posted by Crow Hunter View Post

G43X

Not so Good
    -124gr +P Gold Dot (ouch, not 642 +P level of ouch but definitely 130gr FMJ ouch) I would need to find a different carry load.
    -Multiple shot groups opened much more, particularly F2S drills and draw fire 3.
    -Some "Glock knuckle" (not as bad as G19.5 surprisingly)
    -Mag release is very stiff
    -While not a significantly poorer performance than the G19.3 control, it was noticeable to me and I am not that great of a shot
    -Noticeably fewer beans with a full magazine in both
    Yeah, no +P for me with tiny 9s.

G43X 124gr+P = 6.88ft.lbs recoil force at 17.54fps recoil velocity

vs

G43X 147gr = 6.05ft.lbs at 16.45fps

For reference...

G23 180gr = 6.79ft.lbs at 14.95fps
    G21 230gr = 6.45ft.lbs at 13.08fps

Quote Originally Posted by Mike C View Post
    I do like the Talon grips in general, I only noticed the last time I ended up at the range in a downpour. It made for some really interesting learning points. Afterwards playing around with grips and tape I found my ideal Talon's would be the soft rubbery texture on the sides and the grippy sandpaper texture on front and back straps. I'll be calling Wilson Monday to ask and will post when I know if you are interested. I'm not huge on permanent modifications to guns but I think I could live with a stipple/laser cut grip job from them.
    Talon is coming out with new grips that are a combination of the rubber and the granulate grips. I really like the granulate but they are rough on my skin and some shirts. I’m gonna give them a try once they are available.

https://youtu.be/veRQW7l4JuA

Quote Originally Posted by Dismas316 View Post
    Talon is coming out with new grips that are a combination of the rubber and the granulate grips. I really like the granulate but they are rough on my skin and some shirts. I’m gonna give them a try once they are available.

https://youtu.be/veRQW7l4JuA
    Good news! I found the granulate grips to be too much of a good thing. If I flubbed my grip on the draw I couldn't make small adjustments to correct it.

@Dismas316 thanks for that! I might have missed in the video but was there a release date?

@Dismas316 thanks for that! I might have missed in the video but was there a release date?
    They said it should be available sometime this month, so keep an eye out.

Thanks! I'm still going to call Wilson as plan "B". New plan "A" is to give these a shot. I'd much prefer something removable as I'm already having an aneurism over the G43X and G48 slide I'm sending off to be milled.

Quote Originally Posted by cornstalker View Post
    Good news! I found the granulate grips to be too much of a good thing. If I flubbed my grip on the draw I couldn't make small adjustments to correct it.
    I noticed this on the G19.5 as well. I never figured there would be such thing as too much grip but apparently there is for me.

I would say this is true until your hands are wet. I've been playing with the Talon rubber grips and some skate board tape on the front and rear straps and prefer the skate board tape over all. I am now looking at the Wilson combat stipple job. Do you know if the Wilson Starburst pattern is available on the G48/43X guns?
    As another option, Frank Castle (an LEO from Florida) does a Starburst and a Sunburst pattern that look like they can be definitely doable: https://frankcastlecustoms.com And his prices seem pretty reasonable...

I had a very early 19.5 and the slide release stuck out just an a smidgen more from the frame than my 19.4 and 19.3's and 23's. Never could get a slide lock back on the Gen5 shooting strong hand. Shooting the off hand was fine. Traded it with 2 boxes of ammo through it.
    -All views expressed are those of the author and do not reflect those of the author's employer-

User Tag List