Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: 2019 Hunting Thread

Moose down.. my son’s first moose.. he’s 23. 15 minutes before dark. It’s raining, it’s dark, he has to work tomorrow. His best friend, his wife and a neighbor are out helping him. I jacked my back up today and am lying on the floor on a hot pad or I’d be there too. Proud of the kid.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Site Supporter
    Went dove hunting yesterday, and only saw two white wings, which I sloppily missed.

But then as we were walking around trying to see if we could find some more birds, we found rabbits. Name:  1DF45CB2-6634-4A66-A3D2-0FC0FC1057AE.jpg
Views: 264
Size:  100.7 KB

Student
    Got a text on Friday from the gentleman who was supposed to be guiding me on the dove hunt that we'd have to push it back to maybe the late season in November, though he knows I've got a bunch of training classes starting next month.

Not really all that upset, given the timing of other, more important things I know he has going on in his life. On other hand, that's twice now something like this has happened. At least this time I was notified in advance instead of being ghosted for two weeks.

I'll still keep the Wingmaster, since I have an EZ-Pull card for clays at Rio Salado now. On a similar note I've actually been thinking about giving my Marlin-Glenfield 60 away to someone who's willing to fix it (it shoots, but a very long time ago I did a stupid thing by not only losing the rear takedown screw but deciding to replace it something from Home Depot that wasn't quite the same), so I have an excuse to buy a 10/22 instead.

I had a long hunt at Sean M’s property, four days of hard hunting against really paranoid (rightfully so!) white tails in a dark holler where often hearing the deer chew their food seemed deafening. Everything had to be perfect, I had to get different clothes that were quieter during movement, loose all noisy gear, use a shooting stick in the deer stand ao that I could pivot quietly, lots of refinement of gear and tactics.

On the fourth day, I shot this 8pt (he looks like a 6pt but he’s got nubs worn down because he liked to brawl) at about 30 yards, using this Winchester hunting ammo which did the job admirably. The bullet went through both lungs and stayed inside of the animal, giving the animal a humane 30 seconds death. The lungs were just wrecked.

I used my KAC SR30 11.5 SBR upper with my Energetic Vox S can. That can is light, quiet, and I can’t detect any cold bore shift, which is extremely handy for hunting. The DBAL D2’s green visible laser was really handy for lining up a potential shot when you couldn’t get behind the red dot without the deer seeing you.

I am blessed to have a generous friend like Sean whom took me into his home, treated me like family, and worked to ensure that I could harvest this animal that I will be feeding my family with.

Name:  F6C07546-77DF-4D24-8075-DB0F74D7CBCB.jpeg
Views: 284
Size:  69.2 KB
    #RESIST

Very cool, glad you had a good hunt. Just in time for venison chili!

I have been digging into 300 BLK loads for a suppressed 300 BLK Ruger American bolt action SBR I am building. I'll add that one to the tests. It should hopefully be an excellent pigslayer.

Quote Originally Posted by SeriousStudent View Post
    Very cool, glad you had a good hunt. Just in time for venison chili!

I have been digging into 300 BLK loads for a suppressed 300 BLK Ruger American bolt action SBR I am building. I'll add that one to the tests. It should hopefully be an excellent pigslayer.
    Yeah, I was planning on something in the 110gr-125gr range, but Sean had some experience using some of those on human targets and advised me to get something heavier if I could. I’m definitely getting more after seeing what it did to a 200lb buck.
    #RESIST

Cool, I have some of the 130-grain Barnes TSX loads, along with some Remington Hog Hammer loads. I'm going to see what a 220-grain sub does against the skull or neck, but am not incredibly optimistic. Maybe on a baby porker, but not a large boar or sow. I'll see how each does.

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    Yeah, I was planning on something in the 110gr-125gr range, but Sean had some experience using some of those on human targets and advised me to get something heavier if I could. I’m definitely getting more after seeing what it did to a 200lb buck.
    That’s interesting to hear. I wonder if there’s a cut-off in the weight of the animal where projectiles in that weight range become less effective.

I shot a doe with the 300 BLK this year just to see how it would do using the 110 gr Barnes load and it zipped straight through both sides, completely blowing out the far side shoulder and obliterating the heart. She wasn’t 200 lbs, but I was still pretty impressed.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt O View Post
    That’s interesting to hear. I wonder if there’s a cut-off in the weight of the animal where projectiles in that weight range become less effective.

I shot a doe with the 300 BLK this year just to see how it would do using the 110 gr Barnes load and it zipped straight through both sides, completely blowing out the far side shoulder and obliterating the heart. She wasn’t 200 lbs, but I was still pretty impressed.
    I couldn’t tell you and I’ve heard/read great things about the Barnes load; but I think it’s safe to say that we all listen when Sean speaks

I will say that I’m grabbing more of this stuff whenever I see it.
    #RESIST

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    I couldn’t tell you and I’ve heard/read great things about the Barnes load; but I think it’s safe to say that we all listen when Sean speaks

I will say that I’m grabbing more of this stuff whenever I see it.
    A 150 grain setup would be nice given it matches more closely with the 145 gr practice ammo I’ve got.

There’s a solid 4” POI difference between the practice ammo and the Barnes rounds even at just 50 yards.

User Tag List