Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: 2019 Hunting Thread

Student
    Instead of the Benelli Nova, someone at the Scottsdale Gun Club mentioned that since I have two Remington 870s already, why not go to Cabela's or Sportsmans Warehouse or Bass Pro Shops for a hunting barrel? There were also a couple of aftermarket front sight options that could match the height of my rear sights. I was a bit irritated with myself for not having thought of that.

Well, after a fruitless trip around town to inquire at those places, I went back and lamented that I should have planned ahead since everyone was out of stock or didn't have exactly what I needed. One of the managers mentioned they had a used Wingmaster with an extra barrel that wasn't on display but on their Gunbroker for 250, which wasn't more than what I would have paid for a new barrel and front sight replacement. I ended up going with that.
    Last edited by Yung; 08-18-2019 at 08:12 PM.

Site Supporter
    I hope to finally get my '49 Ithaca 20 gauge double out for rabbit and squirrel here in VA after deer season is finished.

Primarily a waterfowl hunter here but looking to fill a few deer tags this season with a bow and rifle. It’ll be my first season bow hunting...have a buddy who’s generously offered to let me hunt his stands during archery season (starts in 2 weeks here in eastern NC). I’ll be doing the dove opener next week too.
    Shoot more, post less...

Awesome (a bit hot) dove hunt today. New to me HK Benelli M1 Super 90 in 20 gauge did well.

Name:  IMG_3253.jpg
Views: 358
Size:  102.2 KB

Site Supporter
    I have been insanely busy, and spent the last few days delivering offspring to university in another state, so I missed dove opening day, and didn’t have a current license and migratory bird stamp. So I got up early and went to Walmart, the only open place in town that sells that stuff at that time of day.

The state started allowing them to add a fee to every state hunting and fishing license and stamp and tag, and they wanted $4 for each item. And I was going to get a lion tag in addition, so it would have been $12 extra.

Principle of the thing, I went home and put new ink in the printer, dug out some card stock, got on the website, and got everything (except the lion tag) for the actual cost, printed it out, and went out looking to get some doves.

But I had to stop and put gas in the Durango before I could go anywhere because nobody who was at home bothered to while I and their mom were traveling out of state.

By the time I got out to the closest place I usually go, it was late enough nothing was flying, but I got some good work done with my new dog and got to carry my Ithaca 37 around for a while. I think we saw two birds, both cruising for Mexico with afterburners hot.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by vaspence View Post
    Awesome (a bit hot) dove hunt today. New to me HK Benelli M1 Super 90 in 20 gauge did well.

Name:  IMG_3253.jpg
Views: 358
Size:  102.2 KB
    That looks like you had an awesome day.

Deer hunting is a now a rich mans sport in Texas. Hog hunts are still affordable. I hope to take my first hog with a handgun this year.

Site Supporter
    Name:  E00A3C4F-1701-4128-A2C1-5BA08CD37FD8.jpg
Views: 274
Size:  83.3 KB

First bird with this dog. It was a water retrieve, and I said nothing but “good girl” when she dropped it at my feet. She marked the fall, waded in after the bird, grabbed it, and retrieved it so matter-of-factly, it was like, “Oh, that? Yeah, I do that all the time.”

She is my second bird dog, and my previous one had a terrible trainer who made some awful and frankly unforgivable mistakes. It was fun to hunt with a dog I trained myself, but if I ever do that again, I’m going to make sure I have adult supervision. Working with this dog is a real revelation.

Wandered downtown and picked up a left-over turkey license yesterday.
    In the fall, hens and toms are fair game and some hang around where I
    grouse hunt. A couple years ago I waited too long and didn't get one.
    This year a few were left and I snagged one.

Just adds one more dimension to my fall.

2019 Hunting Thread

My first elk hunt. The fact that it was DIY and solo made it very rewarding. Killed on 9/5. I bugled him into 25 yds. He went 40 yards and piled up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Gearqueer; 09-08-2019 at 05:17 PM.

User Tag List