Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 2019 Hunting Thread

2019 Hunting Thread

Where are you going? How are you planning? What are you hunting for? Let’s hear those plans!

I’ve signed up for a ton of public land drawn hunts in Texas this year. Based on past history I expect to get one. I’ve got a dove hunt scheduled for early September. And, today I spent scouting for deer season on the LBJ Grasslands in Wise County north of Fort Worth. Spooked a big doe and her fawn and met this little guy: Name:  IMG_8637.jpg
Views: 514
Size:  69.0 KB

Looking forward to the season!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Site Supporter
    I got a non-resident deer tag for Wyoming. I go with a mixed group of hunters - 1/2 from Atlanta and 1/2 from Ohio (the lead member of the team is from Ohio and works in Atlanta now). About 6 of us usually - maybe 8 this tear. We DIY the hunt on public land. Base out of local hotel, drive to the edge of the public land, walk in and out. This is my 4th year. Last year we all tagged out with multiple Mule Deer and a couple of Antelope. First week of October.

That little guy does not taste very good, honestly. Lots of gravy is likely required. Mr Dobbs has a fun story about raccoon vittles.

I'm hoping to shoot a bunch of feral pigs this fall, if my buddy comes through with a landowner.

So far all my plans consist of driving to the next county and hunting
    ruffed grouse. Last year was a bad season. Hoping for better
    this fall.

On the plus side, I can leave my house and be parked and hunting in under 15 minutes.
    Last edited by ACP230; 08-05-2019 at 07:55 PM.

20 more days until moose season. I was so busy last year I didn't even sight in my rifle. This year I am making time, especially since my new place has 1500' bordering a swamp that moose love.

We have a group of 2-5 or so that camps in a state forest in SE Ohio for a week in October. Quarry is generally coyote, the alleged wild boar, and squirrel.

I'm also hoping to spend more time at a local wildlife area during squirrel season with one of my scoped 22s.

If I can get some help setting up a recurve I'm going to try bow hunting deer.

The wife and I got Muley buck tags that are good from October 1 to Jan 31. Wife got buck antelope, daughter got doe antelope. I plan to try to get a nice buck, then hunt coyotes and bobcat for until March. I may slip down to New Mexico to see if I can call in a Mountain Lion also.

Good luck hunting LBJ. I am within 5 miles or so of the grasslands in Montague County. There are some good whitetails in the area. I got skunked, for the second year in a row, on a Colorado deer tag. NTX whitetails don’t do it for me anymore, but I love chasing mountain muley’s. I shoot pigs and coyotes every time I see them, but don’t consider it hunting. Depending upon my work schedule, I should have plenty of dove in September/October. I mainly look forward to duck season, though.

My friend runs a guide service in Montague Co., so if you are interested in hunting Montague Co. (dove, duck, turkey, pigs, coyote, deer) PM me and I’ll share some info. When I am able, I guide duck hunts for him and that is what I hunt and enjoy more than anything, anymore.

Student
    I have zero background or experience, but I'll be buying a Benelli Nova and joining someone who's invited me to them and their friends' dove hunt.

I have Steven Rinella's small game guide on my Kindle, so I'll need to brush up on that, and I need to buy that shotgun very soon so I can take the host's advice on practicing with clays at Ben Avery.

I'll register for a license and bird stamp online and print it out by the end of the week.

Site Supporter
    Plan is to primarily hunt dove and quail with the new dog, with shotgunning for rabbits, calling coyotes, and mountain hunting tree squirrels with pistols and scoped .22 rifles also on the docket. Buddy has lion dogs, but I don’t know that I’m up for that kind of ridge running. He got a deer tag, and other friends did too, so I may be doing glassing for buddies.

Got skunked on the deer tag draw because I only put in for a tag I knew I’d be able to take the time to really use, but that hunt has a very low chance of actually getting a tag in any given year. Lady I know got a beautiful Coues whitetail on that hunt last year, though,

User Tag List