Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Preventing case separation

Quote Originally Posted by Wyoming Shooter View Post
    I had an interesting case separation yesterday (08/04/2019) at a 600 yard match. This is Hornady 6.5 CR brass. I don't know for certain how many times it's been loaded. I would say 3 - 4. The load is 42.4 grains of H4350 and a 140 grain Berger hybrid. I've had no issues with this load and no signs of excessive pressure. I'm meticulous about charging the proper powder weight and visually inspecting my work during the loading process. My questions:

1. Is there an effective way to screen cases for potential separation?

2. How many times are you loading rifle cases before trashing them?

Attachment 40928

Attachment 40929

You can use the RCBS Casemaster set up like this to measure for thinning in the web that leads to incipient case head separation. Works like a charm and is not terribly expensive.

Name:  IMG_2384.jpg
Views: 169
Size:  31.2 KB

Name:  IMG_2385.jpg
Views: 155
Size:  69.6 KB

As long as you are using that same brass, I would keep a cleaning rod and a shotgun brush in your kit. That is the fastest way I have found to remove a separated case from the chamber.
    Last edited by cornstalker; 09-29-2019 at 10:20 AM.

I neck size only. Why are you full length sizing?
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Site Supporter
    Your size die is pushing the shoulder too far back. It has the same effect as if the chamber were too long. Upon firing your case is stretching forward to meet the shoulder in the chamber. Put a dime between the shell holder and bottom of die. If that fails, unscrew by 1/4 turn and try again. I think that Redding makes a shell holder set having holder of varying thicknesses.

Yup.

Given two target rifles of the same caliber, I would do some checking and KNOW if there were a substantial difference in their chambers. If so, I would keep separate brass and maybe even separate loading dies as though they were NOT of the same caliber.

If not different, it would be nice to treat the brass the same, but it would still remain to be seen if they were equally accurate with the same bullet and load. Each might have its own best load, once more calling for separation.
    Code Name: JET STREAM

User Tag List