Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: GSSF Lessons Learned

Quote Originally Posted by JonInWA View Post
    I just shot the Port Townsend GSSF match with the G21. My first return to GSSF after a hiatus in 2020 due to COVID-19. This time, in addition to my dry-fire practice regimen, I used the G21 in a club IDPA match two weeks previously. I didn't score too well in the IDPA match, but it was a great shake-down cruise, highlighting to me exactly what I needed to concentrate on (trigger control-specifically, not hammering on the trigger).

At the GSSF match, I exclusively shot the G21 in both divisions I competed in Guardian and Heavy Metal) and shot my best match with the G21 in years. My one bobble was on the plates where in 1 string of fire, I resorted to hammering on the trigger, with predictable results (2 plates left up...). I quickly corrected on the next string-problem eliminated, all plates decimated. Ammunition used was predominantly Sellier & Bellot 230 gr ball, with 1 box of Federal Champion Brass also used. The holster used was my Vega T.A.C.S Universal, which worked well in stably holding the G21 with the slide jacked back as required by GSSF if carrying the gun holstered during the match, and it worked nicely apres match holding my carry G19.

There's still considerable room for improvement; I had too many "D" hits (i.e., shooting slightly low) indicating that while my triggger control is getting better, it's still not quite there, and, obviously, my time-I need to refine triggger control, and then pick up the pace.

I'm interested in the forum's thoughts about letting the trigger go fully forward versus shooting from the reset point.

A I had a good match, made all the better by shooting it with a long-time friend-we had a nice drive to and from the match, and a good time at the match where I reconnected with some long-time GSSF shooting acquaintences. The match was well run, which was nice, as things flowed well with little back-up at each stage. Attendance seemed a little light, which is probably collateral damage from the COVID-19 ammunition shortage.

Best, Jon
    Shooting from reset is a decent technique to maximize slow fire accuracy on a bullseye style course where time is not a factor. You definitely don't want to shoot from reset for any kind of time based scoring or action shooting. Whether you come all the way off the trigger or press-flip-press somewhere in the slack zone after trigger reset, either method works, and it may be gun dependent on how you accomplish it (i.e. how much slack does the trigger have, how short or long is the reset, how much spring tension does the trigger attempt to reset with, etc).

Quote Originally Posted by Kirk View Post
    I appreciate the response! I was somewhat familiar with the format but most of the dudes I know who shoot GSSF exclusively shoot the outdoor matches. I was curious if anyone here had shot them much and found them to be decent matches since the local matches are super convenient for me and they seem to be a pretty quick match. If I do as well as I think I should be able to freestyle (I do a lot of accuracy work), it might be a fun match to shoot SHO to work those skills. Anyway, I think I'm going to give it a try
    I shoot both indoor and outdoor matches. A lot of both. While I prefer the outdoor match format, I like the indoor matches also. IE: I’ll skip an indoor match to attend an outdoor match.

I find both more of a measurement of my progress of the work I’m putting in more than practice by itself. Shoot the indoor matches and master a 500 on a qualified (25y) COF IN A MATCH itself and it is an accomplishment. If shooting 500s become boring, then try SHO, but I think you will find 500s with a true legal stock gun to be challenging enough. 250s with 25Xs are pretty sporty on the pocket COF also.

Prizes in both are great, although the indoor matches are random draw only.

These matches have been VERY good to me in both forcing me to hone my skills and prize winnings.

Quote Originally Posted by professor View Post
    I shoot both indoor and outdoor matches. A lot of both. While I prefer the outdoor match format, I like the indoor matches also. IE: I’ll skip an indoor match to attend an outdoor match.

I find both more of a measurement of my progress of the work I’m putting in more than practice by itself. Shoot the indoor matches and master a 500 on a qualified (25y) COF IN A MATCH itself and it is an accomplishment. If shooting 500s become boring, then try SHO, but I think you will find 500s with a true legal stock gun to be challenging enough. 250s with 25Xs are pretty sporty on the pocket COF also.

Prizes in both are great, although the indoor matches are random draw only.

These matches have been VERY good to me in both forcing me to hone my skills and prize winnings.
    Excellent, thank you so much for the detailed reply! You've definitely sold me on giving this a shot. I've been looking at the rule book and the different courses of fire and now I really want to make the 500 club lol. I might have to pick up a G43 for the pocket COF as well. One of the main selling points seems to be the prizes, I'm always seeing dudes win really cool stuff from GSSF matches. I have an acquaintance who I believe has won multiple certificates for guns over the past few years (Outdoor matches). Anyway, I really appreciate the reply and I'm going to give it a go.

Excellent, thank you so much for the detailed reply! You've definitely sold me on giving this a shot. I've been looking at the rule book and the different courses of fire and now I really want to make the 500 club lol. I might have to pick up a G43 for the pocket COF as well. One of the main selling points seems to be the prizes, I'm always seeing dudes win really cool stuff from GSSF matches. I have an acquaintance who I believe has won multiple certificates for guns over the past few years (Outdoor matches). Anyway, I really appreciate the reply and I'm going to give it a go.
    The indoors being random may vary, but each 3 match series awards a pistol certificate. Usually some knives, hats, shirts or something as well. One range owner at a match I frequent throws in quite a few extras also.

The outdoor matches have both performance and random prizes. Both more quality and obtainable amounts than I have ever seen in other disciples. At my level anyhow.

I appreciate the response! I was somewhat familiar with the format but most of the dudes I know who shoot GSSF exclusively shoot the outdoor matches. I was curious if anyone here had shot them much and found them to be decent matches since the local matches are super convenient for me and they seem to be a pretty quick match. If I do as well as I think I should be able to freestyle (I do a lot of accuracy work), it might be a fun match to shoot SHO to work those skills. Anyway, I think I'm going to give it a try
    They are great if you have a hero wall at home or work.

Seriously, the local indoor matches I shoot are fun, good bunch of folks. If you get jammed up, our range will run you through the match before the day of the match if you cant be there for the match. My wife also shoots with me, so we enjoy the time.

My problem is vision and range lighting, I've shot numerous 250's with the 42, just one or two 500's with the full-sized - the lighting at 25 yards and my old guy vision don't work that well most of the time.

I think you'll have fun.
    Adding nothing to the conversation since 2015....

2022 GSSF Update With G21

I had a great time shooting the Port Townsend match with a friend (its become a tradition for us). I shot my G19 in two divisions (subsequent to the GSSF match, I've installed a Leupold DeltaPoint Micro RDS on it for long-term T&E, covered in another thread) and the venerable G21 in the Heavy Metal division.

The only difference this year is that I removed the Warren Grip Assist sleeve and replaced it with a new Hogue HandAll Beavertail grip sleeve. While I initially found myself missing the fin on the Warrren, I shot better and eventually have come to prefer the Hogue for its overall feel and hot it facilitates my performance. It's a bit of a bear to wrestle on my Gen 3 "Big Butt" G21, but eminently do-able and worthwhile.

Comparing my G21 GSSF scores from last year to this year's, I shot this year significantly more accurately and faster (despite disastrous second string on the plates-the first string, and the remaining two were much better). The Hogue HandAll Beavertail is staying on.

Best, Jon
    Last edited by JonInWA; 09-05-2022 at 03:17 PM.

And here's an image with it mounted:

Best, Jon
    Sponsored by Check-Mate Industries and BH Spring Solutions
    Certified Glock Armorer

Despite detesting the Hogue Hand-All and similar grip sleeve products, I put on on my G48 and it's made a big difference in my shooting with that particular slim frame gun.

It's ugly (and apparently a potential risk in a grapple) but it's hard to argue with the performance gain.

User Tag List