Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 19 of 19

Thread: GSSF Lessons Learned

  1. #11
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    Fayetteville, NC
    Have you ever considered the Glock 3.5 pound connector with a NY1 or NY2?
    --Jason--

  2. #12
    Member JonInWA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Auburn, WA
    Quote Originally Posted by Blades View Post
    Have you ever considered the Glock 3.5 pound connector with a NY1 or NY2?
    Blades, I've considered it-I ran my G34 that way, and was very pleased with it. However, on my (emphasis perhaps on the "my") G21, I'm just not sure the NY1 is a good solution; While for what it was I actually was fairly pleased with the NY2/dot connector, when I put in the NY1, I just didn't notice a significant decrease in triggerpull weight between the two; weird, I know. But I've been futzing along with Glocks long enough to know that this kind of thing can occur, due to minor parts tolerancing differences. FWIW, on my G21, I was actually more pleased with the NY2 than the NY1...but if I decide to revisit the NY2, I might well consider doing it with a minus connector.

    Triggerpull weight-wise, with the dot connector and coil trigger spring I'm accomplishing a fairly comparative result, triggerpull weight-wise, between a minus connector and NY1. The primary benefit of the NY1 in my experience is the single-pull constant triggerpull, and a very crisp and discernable reset point.

    My thought is that if I change out to a NY1, on my G21 it would probably be a good idea to concurrently switch out to a new trigger mechanism housing, and see if that induces a beneficial combination; however, based on my recent IDPA match last weekend, I'm currently satisfied with the current dot connector/coil spring, both in terms of pull characteristics and weight (sufficient for both carry/duty and competition). My trigger control technique currently is not really concentrating on the reset point; more so on the constant trigger roll and follow-through, so the NY1 is of limited value to me regarding that.

    The only change I've done subsequent to the match is to paint the front sight face fluorescent orange (from the previous red) to slightly improve acquisition.

    Best, Jon
    Last edited by JonInWA; 09-25-2019 at 01:03 PM.

  3. #13
    Site Supporter
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Illinois
    As a guy who sold a Gen 3 G21, this decision makes me glad, because that's probably the gun I most regret selling. In fact, it's about the only Glock subtype I shoot worth a damn at all and I'm getting ready to get rid of my last Glock in the safe.

    I ran all black Heine sights though. Damn I miss that gun.

    Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

  4. #14
    Member JonInWA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Auburn, WA
    Fortunately, I decided to be pretty objective and open-minded about things. After doing my due diligence beforehand (controlled live-fire exercise and analysis, grip analysis and modification, subsequent dry-fire protocol prior to the match), I'm glad things worked out, both performance-wise and for the keep of my G21. My friend waiting in the wings was a bit disappointed, though...

    It's a great gun, and I don't find the Gen 3 "big butt" to be and ergonomic show-stopper. It does arguably require more intensive, and preferably continual use to obtain and maintain high proficiency with it due to its size and ergonomics, especially relative to other comparable pistols (including other smaller frame Glocks).

    Best, Jon

  5. #15
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    Fayetteville, NC
    Quote Originally Posted by JonInWA View Post
    Blades, I've considered it-I ran my G34 that way, and was very pleased with it. However, on my (emphasis perhaps on the "my") G21, I'm just not sure the NY1 is a good solution; While for what it was I actually was fairly pleased with the NY2/dot connector, when I put in the NY1, I just didn't notice a significant decrease in triggerpull weight between the two; weird, I know. But I've been futzing along with Glocks long enough to know that this kind of thing can occur, due to minor parts tolerancing differences. FWIW, on my G21, I was actually more pleased with the NY2 than the NY1...but if I decide to revisit the NY2, I might well consider doing it with a minus connector.

    Triggerpull weight-wise, with the dot connector and coil trigger spring I'm accomplishing a fairly comparative result, triggerpull weight-wise, between a minus connector and NY1. The primary benefit of the NY1 in my experience is the single-pull constant triggerpull, and a very crisp and discernable reset point.

    My thought is that if I change out to a NY1, on my G21 it would probably be a good idea to concurrently switch out to a new trigger mechanism housing, and see if that induces a beneficial combination; however, based on my recent IDPA match last weekend, I'm currently satisfied with the current dot connector/coil spring, both in terms of pull characteristics and weight (sufficient for both carry/duty and competition). My trigger control technique currently is not really concentrating on the reset point; more so on the constant trigger roll and follow-through, so the NY1 is of limited value to me regarding that.

    The only change I've done subsequent to the match is to paint the front sight face fluorescent orange (from the previous red) to slightly improve acquisition.

    Best, Jon
    Makes sense and thank you Jon. I'm trying to concentrate on the reset point and ride it so the NY1 and NY2 with a 3.5# connector worked for me in my G29.
    --Jason--

  6. #16
    Member JonInWA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Auburn, WA
    Quote Originally Posted by Blades View Post
    Makes sense and thank you Jon. I'm trying to concentrate on the reset point and ride it so the NY1 and NY2 with a 3.5# connector worked for me in my G29.
    Completely understand. We've had some good discussions on utilizing the reset point here on p-f, here's a great thread initiated by GJM with Wayne Dobbs significantly contribution:
    https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....ighlight=reset

    I'm concentrating more on the trigger roll than on catching the reset at the earliest opportunity. In the back of my mind, I'm thinking that unduly concentrating on catching the reset could be a distraction/tactical Bad Idea, but I'm certainly open to discussion. I'm concentrating (or at least trying to) primarily on situational awareness, draw, presentment, sight acquisition (or rough gun placement awareness as opposed to precise sight acquisition and alignment), and trigger control/follow-through. Obviously my trigger finger has to move sufficiently forward in the process to effect reset, but I'm not overly concerned on capitalizing on it at the precise moment the reset point is reached.

    Best, Jon
    Last edited by JonInWA; 09-25-2019 at 05:45 PM.

  7. #17
    Miss Manners
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    In the desert, looking for water.
    Quote Originally Posted by 45dotACP View Post
    As a guy who sold a Gen 3 G21, this decision makes me glad, because that's probably the gun I most regret selling. In fact, it's about the only Glock subtype I shoot worth a damn at all and I'm getting ready to get rid of my last Glock in the safe.

    I ran all black Heine sights though. Damn I miss that gun.

    Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk
    I still see them for sale here and there. You could get another one.

  8. #18
    Member JonInWA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Auburn, WA

    Cool

    The Gen 3 G21 SF is still an available product...But all things considered, if I had to get a new G21 today, I'd get a Gen4 one, because of the grip texture, mag release, and backstrap options. Best, Jon
    Last edited by JonInWA; 09-26-2019 at 12:18 AM.

  9. #19
    Member JonInWA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Auburn, WA
    Yesterday, I used my Gen4 G22 in an IDPA match; I did ok, but I actually performed better with the Gen 3 G21 last week. I'll take one or both for backup on my upcoming deer hunting trip in October. Best, Jon

User Tag List

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •