Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Advice for new detectives?

There's nothing wrong with having some preformatted warrants where you fill in the blanks. Never ever use an old warrant, where you're deleting old information and replacing it with new information, as a template for a new warrant.
    Whether you think you can or you can't, you're probably right.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by txdpd View Post
    There's nothing wrong with having some preformatted warrants where you fill in the blanks. Never ever use an old warrant, where you're deleting old information and replacing it with new information, as a template for a new warrant.
    Couldn't get by without a preformatted warrant form...
    Regional Government Sales Manager for Aimpoint, Inc. USA
    Co-owner Hardwired Tactical Shooting (HiTS)

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by willie View Post
    I know how guys in corrections get in trouble. How do detectives get in trouble?
    How about these:

1. Lying on affidavits or investigative supplements.
    2. Lying in court or other sworn proceedings.
    3. Mishandling evidence.
    4. Sexual liaisons with informants, victims or witnesses.
    5. Mishandling informants.
    6. Mishandling discretionary funds (buy money, expense money, etc.).
    Last edited by Wayne Dobbs; 08-08-2019 at 09:55 AM.
    Regional Government Sales Manager for Aimpoint, Inc. USA
    Co-owner Hardwired Tactical Shooting (HiTS)

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by willie View Post
    I know how guys in corrections get in trouble. How do detectives get in trouble?
    The things I've seen detectives get suspended and/or chucked back to the street for usually fall under the following:

1) Complaints from not returning phone calls.
    2) Failure to respond when on-call.
    3) Failing to respond to the scene when they should have/when ordered to.
    4) Being a dick to the brass.

More major things that have seriously damaged careers:

1) Failing to disclose required information.
    2) Being a bit to "helpful" during photo array presentations, lineups, etc. (Sometimes rookie detectives make honest mistakes in phrasing or presentation, but senior detectives know better than to have any hint of suggestion during the presentation and it's smart to have someone who doesn't know who the "right guy" is to present the array to avoid that entirely.)
    3) Ghost employment. Supposedly being at work/on-call but working part-time or the like simultaneously.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Dobbs View Post
    How about these:

1. Lying on affidavits or investigative supplements.
    2. Lying in court or other sworn proceedings.
    3. Mishandling evidence.
    4. Sexual liaisons with informants, victims or witnesses.
    5. Mishandling informants.
    6. Mishandling discretionary funds (buy money, expense money, etc.).
    These far-and-away represent the common reasons dicks get in trouble. They also don’t go to the gym enough.

Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    Because people put their whole lives on social media, including the crimes they commit. Facebook post of Johnny Mope wearing the same clothes and flashing the same gun as seen in surveillance video of the robbery. Johnny posting "I hit a lick" and fanning out a few hundred books about 30 minutes after the robbery. Using Facebook marketplace, Let Go, etc. to arrange for sales that are actually robbery setups. Gang affiliations. Who knows who, who's threatening who, and then who gets shot. Using the phone number they used on a social media sight to call in a delivery and rob the driver. "Those dumb ass cops don't know Man-Man shot Ray-Ray" type posts. Using Facebook messenger to coordinate a drive-by shooting. Using social media to arrange dope buys. To intimidate witnesses. To communicate false stories to tell at upcoming trials.

And other stuff. That gives you an idea, though. Even as tech-retarded as I am I've managed to wrap up people based on their social media stupidity, location of their phone, etc.
    This is all new to me. I recently put an ad on a website with a Ph#. Big mistake. First call was a text from some degenerate posing as a buyer just wasting my time. I'm having a hard time believing that someone would even take the time to do that but I guess people have a lot of time on their hands these days.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

When you’re out in the field doing detective-y stuff, if you’re paying attention you’ll see a lot of shit going down, because you won’t be in a squad car and advertising your presence. Unless it’s really serious, like a decent person is going to the hospital or getting dead, phone it in and be a good witness.
    Whether you think you can or you can't, you're probably right.

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by txdpd View Post
    When you’re out in the field doing detective-y stuff, if you’re paying attention you’ll see a lot of shit going down, because you won’t be in a squad car and advertising your presence. Unless it’s really serious, like a decent person is going to the hospital or getting dead, phone it in and be a good witness.
    That reminds me, if your department doesn't offer a plain-clothes officer survival course then seek one out. Remember nobody knows who you are. IF you do get involved in something, put out your own description on the radio so at least your own guys know that you are on the scene. Remember the uniformed guy is in charge if you get commands to drop the weapon, etc. Never assume that even somebody who knows you personally will recognize you in the moment. Adrenaline, lighting conditions, tunnel vision, etc. all play into you just being someone with a gun out.

Badge held in off hand near the gun or over your head is better than badge on a chain on your chest is better than belt on your badge for actually getting noticed.

Multiple LOUD REPEATED identifications that you're the police, even if you don't think you're being observed.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

That reminds me, if your department doesn't offer a plain-clothes officer survival course then seek one out. Remember nobody knows who you are. IF you do get involved in something, put out your own description on the radio so at least your own guys know that you are on the scene. Remember the uniformed guy is in charge if you get commands to drop the weapon, etc. Never assume that even somebody who knows you personally will recognize you in the moment. Adrenaline, lighting conditions, tunnel vision, etc. all play into you just being someone with a gun out.

Badge held in off hand near the gun or over your head is better than badge on a chain on your chest is better than belt on your badge for actually getting noticed.

Multiple LOUD REPEATED identifications that you're the police, even if you don't think you're being observed.
    Amen.

We had a "man with a long gun" call in an apartment complex. The description was a white male adult white shirt over black pants with a long gun strapped across his chest. A dick from the county was a couple blocks away, and hopped out to assist with his carbine. The problem was, he was a white male adult with a white shirt over black pants with a long gun strapped across his chest. I almost stuck him up when I recognized him from an identity theft training. I put out on the radio that we had a plain clothes guy there that matched the description of the suspect and suggested he pretty much stay in my hip pocket the whole time.

The original call was two guys playing air soft.

They guy had years on me, but he actually thanked me when it was all over, and was re-thinking his choices.
    I was into 10mm Auto before it sold out and went mainstream, but these days I'm here for the revolver and epidemiology information.

Site Supporter

This exactly. I always tell new detectives that Officers you worked with last week will not immediately recognize you this week. Even more so if you have a weapon in hand. While some will say preventing blue on blue incidents depend on both sides, the truth of the matter is a greater burden in on the plain clothes officer. Comply with all orders as safely as possible and identify yourself clearly. I would rather be put on the ground and handcuffed than shot.

If you are able, advise by radio of your presence and description. Also, don’t feel obligated to jump out on every call in your area. Just because you are near doesn’t mean you are needed, plus, you have different responsibilities now.
    Last edited by PD Sgt.; 08-08-2019 at 07:53 PM.
    Polite Professional

User Tag List