Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Smith and Wesson 10mm (almost) KaBoom.

Glock Collective Assimile Suvorov's Avatar
    Escapee from the SF Bay Area now living on the Front Range of Colorado.

Smith and Wesson 10mm (almost) KaBoom.

Just got back from my trip back "Home" to Wyoming. While I was up there I brought my Smith and Wesson 1006 along as my "camp and backwoods carry" pistol. I took the opportunity to set up a little range and do some target practice with it. On the last round of my 1st magazine the pistol recoiled and sounded a little weird. I noticed that the slide did not lock back. When I pulled the slide to lock it back I found out that the case head had separated from the case. Although the magazine body was still locked in the gun, the follower and spring were missing.

At that point I realized I had just had my first "Kaboom" of my pistol firing life and quickly checked my hands and finger for blood or anything missing. After ensuring I was OK I noticed that the magazine floor plate had blown out the bottom of the pistol along with the magazine innards. My understanding it that this is how the gun is designed to do in the case of a case rupture. No doubt that combined with the very heavy duty construction of the 1006 kept everything together. I can only speculate how a polymer pistol without a supported chamber would have fared?

After looking collecting all the magazine parts (never did find the spring) I went back to camp and disassembled the pistol. I was able to use the pliers from my multi-tool to extract the case, and look for any damage. Everything looked fine - no cracks, no bulges. So I reassembled the pistol and loaded up some good ammo (which were full power 10mm Hornady loads - which might not have been the best choice if the pistol was structurally compromised but that was the only "non suspect" ammo I had) and shot a magazine through it. The pistol functioned perfectly and accuracy was great so I carried it for the remainder of my trip.

My questions for those who are better versed in these matters:

1) Was it the ammo or could it possibly have been an out of battery ignition (which again could have been due to the ammo). I WAS firing RE-MANUFACTURED ammo, so the case had been shot at least once. I am going to call the manufacturer tomorrow but I purchased the ammo back in the 1990s and it does not appear that the company is in business anymore. These were 180 grain loads at .40S&W velocities.

2) Would you recommend sending the pistol back to S&W for inspection or should I be able to pretty much tell if something is damaged visually?

3) What to do with the ammunition? I am right now thinking that it is all suspect. Assuming that the re-manufacturer is no longer in business? I could sell or give it away as components (of course that may be a problem with these new stupid ammunition laws I am living under here in Kalifornia) but I still have about 350 rounds left.....

4) I was at 10,400 ft elevation when this occurred - would this have any affect? Doubtful but still?

5) Anything else I should do?

Here's one of the primary reasons I won't use remanufactured ammo. You have no idea how many times the case had been used. So, it's possibly a rupture from fatigue. More likely it was an improperly sized round that caused the gun to fire slightly out of battery. An over charge might also be the culprit, but I doubt it given the lack of any significant damage.

I wouldn't bother sending the gun back for inspection as I highly doubt it's damaged in any way, other than the magazine. That's a painful enough loss considering the price of 1006 mags. I'd also trash the ammo.
    We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again.......

Quote Originally Posted by Trooper224 View Post
    Here's one of the primary reasons I won't use remanufactured ammo.
    Yep - lesson learned at a fairly low price.....

I also would dispose of the ammo so that nobody else could find and use it. Well camo-ed in the trash going to a landfill, or break it all down to components and toss the brass.

Ive had multiple case separations in commercial reloads in 5.56. No telling how it was processed or the history of the brass.

I would bet a double charged case, dump that ammo where it can never be used.

You didn’t know this beforehand, but after one-on-once correspondence with S&W directly some years ago I learned the following relevant facts:

S&W has small parts available for their 3rd Generation pistols , but complete slide/frame and barrel assemblies are depleted. Any malfunction requiring replacement of those components = S&W factory voucher for a new M&P.
    The more common the piece , the more likely small parts are still on hand. In this respect a 5906 owner has more luck then a 1006 or 645 owner.

Seeing as I don’t view an M&P as a suitable replacement for my set of S&W 645s , I only shoot factory ammunition from VERY established ammunition companies though those pieces. They’re tanks, but even tanks have limits.
    The Minority Marksman.
    "When you meet a swordsman, draw your sword: Do not recite poetry to one who is not a poet."
    -a Ch'an Buddhist axiom.

Out of curiosity, what ammo is it?
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Out of curiosity, what ammo is it?
    Re-manufactured by Venator Ballistics Laboratory - Cheyenne Wyoming.

Like I say - I'm pretty sure they are out of business as they have no internet presence. I will call them tomorrow to see.

Quote Originally Posted by GardoneVT View Post
    You didn’t know this beforehand, but after one-on-once correspondence with S&W directly some years ago I learned the following relevant facts:

S&W has small parts available for their 3rd Generation pistols , but complete slide/frame and barrel assemblies are depleted. Any malfunction requiring replacement of those components = S&W factory voucher for a new M&P.
    The more common the piece , the more likely small parts are still on hand. In this respect a 5906 owner has more luck then a 1006 or 645 owner.

Seeing as I don’t view an M&P as a suitable replacement for my set of S&W 645s , I only shoot factory ammunition from VERY established ammunition companies though those pieces. They’re tanks, but even tanks have limits.
    Agreed. But I was younger and stupider (and poorer) in the 1990s when I bought this ammo and Smith wasn't all out of 3rd gen parts.

The Lehigh load from Underwood is about as boutique a load that I am comfortable with.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

User Tag List