Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: FBI load and 3” barrels

Other options maybe worth considering.

The Buffalo Bore 158 loads use pretty much the softest bullets you can get. I have tested them through 4 layer denim and 3" guns and about 75% of the time they expanded to between .57-.60 and go 14-15" in clear ballistics gel. About 25% of the time they only expand a tiny bit and penetrate 19-20" in clear ballistics gel.

In bare gel from a 3" they penetrate 12-13" and expand consistently to .67-.69, just shy of .70. They are huge.

Even in 1 7/8 guns you tend to get some expansion through denim with the BB 158 standard pressure loads. It varies way more though, it's hard to give an average because the variability is so great (through denim)... almost a completely even distribution from barely any expansion through a tiny bit (.40) to a tiny bit more (.45) to .50 to about .56-.58 and finally to .65. Penetration in the 16-18" range for all except the fully expanded ones, which consistently go 12" (in clear ballistics).

In bare gel from a 1 7/8 gun they basically get to .65 avg diameter and 12" pen.

Again this is the BB standard pressure stuff. The BB 158 +P stuff is an entirely different story. It's a very violent bullet that from a 3" expands to around .70 and drives to around the 16-17" mark. At which point it either stops or occasionally blows its petals off and the base goes to around 20". From what I can tell it's the same bullet they use in the standard pressure stuff.

I have also found the BB to be more forgiving of smaller cylinder throats and thread choke than other 158's, in terms of accuracy, I think because they are so soft. Downside is they are muy expensive.
    Last edited by CTX44; 08-14-2019 at 11:52 PM.

https://rimrockbullets.com/xcart/g-c...ab-description

Rimrock makes the bullets for Buffalo Bore. I haven't tried these yet but have been tempted to try a box since I order from them every couple months anyways.
    Last edited by 03RN; 08-15-2019 at 04:13 AM.

AmmoQuest did extensive gel testing of 9mm JHP out of 3” barrel using the FBI protocol. The series of videos ends with a wrap up in which Federal HST 147 gr is up against Winchester Defend. Amazingly the Winchester wins with the best expansion to penetration performance. It consistently expanded and penetrated to just over 15”. It an be teamed up with its counterpart FMJ training ammo, which has the same weight and load as the JHP. I tried both and randomly loading the magazine with each I could not tell which one I had fired. I used to carry HST in my subcompact but after a couple hundred rounds of Train and Defend I have switched over. FYI as I recall the Winchester JHP round that is on the FBI approved list is the same ad the Defend round but width the different name. There is a video of the wrap up test here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xc5n_JsY3aw&app=desktop

Been purchasing the Rimrock slugs from Rimrock for the past 10 or so years. Carry the Buffalo Bore load for street carry. Identical as to shape, weight and hardness. I find that using Power Pistol in a +P loading makes the bullet very accurate in a 2" K6. Bullet in handload doing just over 900fps in the K6.

I find the BB 158 +p to be as or more painful to shoot out of a small revolver as a good number of 357 options.

User Tag List