Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: FBI load and 3” barrels

FBI load and 3” barrels

So, there’s plants of info out there that the old 158 gr LSWC-HP doesn’t expand all that well from 2” barrels. The same sources usually indicate it does pretty good from a 4” barrel. I’m wondering how it works from a 3” barrel. Is expansion more consistent with adequate penetration compared to a 2” barrel?

I am interested to read the replies. I know the 3" model 13 was an issued gun for the fbi so I wonder well the two worked together.

They do fine, for the most part.

Consistent penetration of 12-15" in organic gel, expansion to somewhere around .5-.6.

The bad news - they tend to suck hard at four-layer denim tests usually failing to expand and penetration 18-20+ inches. They also suck hard through laminated glass.

If barrier penetration and/or heavy clothing is a reality for you, choose a different round.

I have several boxes of the Remington 158-grain +P LHP left over from my Texas days (where heavy clothing is not a reality) and I'll likely have several for the rest of my life. These days I opt for the Gold Dot Short Barrel (135-grain) or Winchester Ranger (130-grain). Do note - Remington is the only LHP that consistently expands. Winchester and Federal load a harder lead bullet and it almost never expands.
    Last edited by RevolverRob; 08-04-2019 at 09:01 AM.

The above is on target, so to speak...
    Facts matter...Feelings Can Lie

I saw the Buffalo Bore rendition tested at the 2018 Revolver Roundup. I’m pretty sure from a 2”.

It expanded impressively after 4 layers of denim. Penetration as around 16”, I think.

The 38 load will also lose more velocity from a 357 chambered gun. In some of my 357 3 inch guns the Rem. Lhp is only doing 800 fps, about the same as from a 2 inch 38 and will have the same problem with expansion as it does from the 2 inch guns.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by valian View Post
    The 38 load will also lose more velocity from a 357 chambered gun. In some of my 357 3 inch guns the Rem. Lhp is only doing 800 fps, about the same as from a 2 inch 38 and will have the same problem with expansion as it does from the 2 inch guns.
    I do not doubt your results but question the validity of generalizing to all other revolvers that are the same as yours.
    I say this because velocities of the same load fired in the revolvers of the same model and barrel length will vary significantly. Research demonstrates these differences. Variables causing these differences include internal chamber dimensions and bore diameter. A most significant variable is gap between barrel and cylinder.

Please be aware that I am not saying your observations are incorrect. You are experimenting and reporting. From these efforts we learn, Thank you.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by willie View Post
    I do not doubt your results but question the validity of generalizing to all other revolvers that are the same as yours.
    I say this because velocities of the same load fired in the revolvers of the same model and barrel length will vary significantly. Research demonstrates these differences. Variables causing these differences include internal chamber dimensions and bore diameter. A most significant variable is gap between barrel and cylinder.

Please be aware that I am not saying your observations are incorrect. You are experimenting and reporting. From these efforts we learn, Thank you.
    I recall that years ago, LAPD did a fairly extensive chronograph study of .38 Special loads fired in a variety of .357 Magnum and .38 Special revolvers. They found that velocities were higher in the .38 chambered revolvers than in .357 ones. Apparently that 1/10" longer charge hole dimension for the .357 case allowed some gas leakage and lower velocities. It would be interesting for somebody to do this kind of testing again. willie's point about velocity variation across different revolvers and loads is correct. LAPD was simply able to demonstrate the trend, showing a velocity advantage of .38 in a .38 of about 70 fps (IIRC).
    Regional Government Sales Manager for Aimpoint, Inc. USA
    Co-owner Hardwired Tactical Shooting (HiTS)

Quote Originally Posted by willie View Post

What Wayne said.
    In our days it was a well known phenomenon that velocity is lost when 38s are fired in 357 chambers. That's the only generalization I made and I'm well aware of all the other variables you mentioned. My point is that when you get down to 3 inch bbls. with 38 loads any and all of those variables can easily affect velocities potentially bringing them below what is required for robust performance of the bullets. That's why I pointed out that SOME of my 357 3 inch revolvers only get 800 fps with the Rem LHP load.
    It's best to chronograph your potential carry loads in each 3 inch revolver using 38 hp because velocities are so close to marginal from those guns, and compare to known velocity thresholds for the particular bullets.

Site Supporter
    All are valid points. Thank you for the clarification.

User Tag List