Page 18 of 21 FirstFirst ... 81617181920 ... LastLast

Thread: Mass shooting in Ohio

Quote Originally Posted by Lon View Post
    I think you’ll see that start to change. I think many cops have realized it’s quicker to take them to get treatment in the back of a patrol car than wait. Orlando, Aurora, Dayton are just a few places where LE has made transports in mass casualty incidents. The Rescue Task Force concept is good, but still takes a while. I believe we will eventually see the load and go transport by LE become a standard practice and not an improvisation.
    Already started, and in some places a norm for several years. POV and LE transport is a specific instruction point in several curriculums. There can be some teeth grinding from EMS concerned about turf, regulatory worries over "unlicensed ambulances", hand wringing from in-hospital providers and medical directors who just don't understand, and LE admins worried about "liability." It's an easier sell where there are limited resources.

When you have plenty of resources, it doesn't take long to out-bleed the response time or outrun them in numbers. Outside of metros, EMS tends to be dominated by dispersed 1- and 2- bus BLS services, often volunteers, and in a perpetual state of struggle. In most traumas, they aren't providing any services that can't be provided in any other vehicle on the run. That's feels harsh to some, but it's reality.
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

Site Supporter
    Private for profit companies have operated EMS services in my area since their inception. At one time funeral homes fulfilled this role and several would show up at a wreck to see who could be the first to grab dead or injured. I would not be surprised if EMS companies include in contracts that they and not police transport the injured. Here they do not transport the dead. Another outfit has that contract.

Site Supporter
    We discuss bump stocks and braces and note that Trump banned bump stocks. Among gun owners few complained. Trump will ban braces in the same manner and will suffer no political damage. The meat of the argument for us is magazine restriction. The reason is that restricting magazines is an easier task than banning AR's. I do expect that the purchase age for these will be raised to 21. I would not be surprised if a separate registry for assault rifles is established. Buy one and your name and data are sent to the feds.

In the past, when posting on different forums, that buying more than one handgun from the same dealer within 5 working days requires the dealer to submit this person's name to the ATF's criminal investigation division. The same applies to magazine fed centerfire rifles and short barrel security shotguns when bought in the border states. Immediately dealers would flame my fat ass. It was like I should not have mentioned the subject. Mere mention seemed to be in the same category as asking some man if his 12 year daughter had started her period yet. In every case the thread was closed. I have a point to make. Buy a couple draco's in the same week. You may get a visitor. I have personal knowledge.

At my age I could care less who shows up at my house. I would invite them in for coffee and cake and tell the, that if they did not drink my coffee and eat my cake I would consider them rude and run them off. Anyway I'm lily white in terms of criminal history and possessions. My point is that gun politics is changing. Those who will soon be in charge will not be gun friendly. Federal lists could become shit lists.

Quote Originally Posted by willie View Post
    Private for profit companies have operated EMS services in my area since their inception. At one time funeral homes fulfilled this role and several would show up at a wreck to see who could be the first to grab dead or injured. I would not be surprised if EMS companies include in contracts that they and not police transport the injured.
    Private EMS providers (3rd party corporate or hospital-based) are one of the hurdles with implementation of RTF concepts. They are profit-centered, risk-averse, and lack the statutory and practical protections government services have. Even if there is support from the local providers and shop managers, they are too far from the flagpole to be persuasive.

Policy construction for non-EMS agencies is important. Something like this usually works for LE: "Officers should not transport the sick or injured, or direct the transport of the sick or injured, unless waiting for EMS would be reasonably expected to result in death of the patient. "
    Last edited by ST911; 08-07-2019 at 11:24 AM.
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

In the past, when posting on different forums, that buying more than one handgun from the same dealer within 5 working days requires the dealer to submit this person's name to the ATF's criminal investigation division.
    This is interesting to me, as I've bought more than 1 handgun numerous times from FFL dealers. Hell, I don't ever buy only 1 handgun at a time, as I usually buy at least 2 with 1 being a backup. In fact, I was about to buy 3 M&P 2.0 Compacts at once, as I'm working with S&W to get the 2.0 compact on the USPSA production list. Is this something I should be concerned about in some way? I couldn't really care less if I get an inquiry from the ATF, as I've done nothing wrong, but don't want to end up on some weird list

Site Supporter
    Kirk, I can't say whether or not you should be concerned, but will ask a rhetorical question. Do you wish to continue having your name sent to the ATF criminal division where your name and purchases will remain forever? Reading and studying the public information on this subject revealed that when the guns on this list show up as having been used in a crime, then the purchaser is looked at for his role.

If you wish to buy two or more handguns, your dealer will be happy to hold one until the required number of working days has passed. It is called lay-a-way. You might ask your dealer why he has not informed you about the notification rule. I have noticed that even the most vociferous fist pounding 2A dealers will become defensive when this topic is presented. I enjoy needling them. Dealers on gun forums shit on themselves when this topic arises. I must cease commenting to prevent being accused of trolling.

To answer your question about your having anything to worry about, I will change my first comment. Instead of saying that I can't say whether or not you have reason for concern, I will say that you do not. The however follow up comment is to write that you may wish to delay a second purchase. My FUDD opinion is that times are changing; that gun ownership is continuing to become socially unacceptable and that this rate is increasing; that a new set of leaders will soon be in charge; and none of us can predict the future. If I were a young man, I would avoid having my name on any list. Growing up I witnessed local and state governments participating to some extent in terrorism. The FBI closed one eye. In general I lack faith in government. My entire life I worked government jobs. Lacking faith is not the same thing as being paranoid. I write from what I know. I repeat the question. Why put one's name on a list when he or she can wait a few days and avoid the list?
    Last edited by willie; 08-07-2019 at 01:04 PM.

I repeat the question. Why put one's name on a list when he or she can wait a few days and avoid the list?
    Not the OP, but I’ll note there is no practical way to avoid “the list”.

If the Govermment (whoever you associate that to be ) wanted to know who likely owns guns, they could simply ask the Federal Reserve to request from all FDIC banks a list of transactions involving firearm related merchants in a given period of time. Unless you’re trading ammo on the barter system, best of luck staying off that list.
    The Minority Marksman.
    "When you meet a swordsman, draw your sword: Do not recite poetry to one who is not a poet."
    -a Ch'an Buddhist axiom.

Site Supporter
    I'm already on various lists because of the number of times that I have been finger printed in addition to having made multiple handgun purchases. My comment about lists was not addressing who owned guns. The point was being on a list maintained by the criminal investigation division of a federal agency.

Quote Originally Posted by GardoneVT View Post
    Not the OP, but I’ll note there is no practical way to avoid “the list”.

If the Govermment (whoever you associate that to be ) wanted to know who likely owns guns, they could simply ask the Federal Reserve to request from all FDIC banks a list of transactions involving firearm related merchants in a given period of time. Unless you’re trading ammo on the barter system, best of luck staying off that list.
    I totally understand that, I just wanted to make sure I didn't end up on some type of watch list due to buying a few guns at a time for USPSA .

Quote Originally Posted by Kirk View Post
    I totally understand that, I just wanted to make sure I didn't end up on some type of watch list due to buying a few guns at a time for USPSA .
    To be honest, I am quite sure that we are all on some list somewhere and for no reason other than we have bought one, or many , guns.
    ''Politics is for the present, but an equation is for eternity.'' ―Albert Einstein

Full disclosure per the Pistol-Forum CoC: I am the author of Quantitative Ammunition Selection.

User Tag List